TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing and Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

I can't focus - April 9th 2017, 05:04 AM

Because of the recent friendship drama it's been really hard for me to concentrate on my schoolwork. I can't think straight or write right like its even hard for me to write this even though it's just my feelings. It's like all I worry about is what's next, what's gonna happen.
So does anyone have any advice as to focusing? Is there any tactics you use to really focus on something you have to focus on? Music doesn't help me because I get too involved in the music, whatever it may be.

And all the other colors...
are leaving this body and mind
behind.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: I can't focus - April 10th 2017, 04:00 PM

Hello! It must be difficult to study well when you have so much struggles right now.

Here are a few tips to study efficiently:

1) Set a timetable or a routine schedule. This is very important as you need this to always remind yourself of your study timetable. It makes you more determined to stick to this routine and be focused in that time.

2) No other distractions. You are right, no music is a must for your case, since you mentioned how it affects you when you listen to music. Another key is to not use any electronic device like phones or PC while you study. Just switch them off if you want.

3) Write actively! Jot down simple notes on papers or even better, a notebook. When you write, you force yourself to be busy, instead of just reading. Your brain will be more engaged to what you are learning in this way. It will also make you more focused, because writing requires much more focus than reading.

4) Breaks. VERY IMPORTANT. You must always make yourself fresh, and to do so you need to allocate breaks in between your study. I recommend about 5 minutes break per 30 minutes. No less than that. You need to let your brain to stay fresh and not burnouts for studying an extended amount of time.

5) Reflection and goals. Spent about 5 minutes at the start of the study to ask yourself this: What should I study today? What should I finish studying by the end of this session? Make sure you stick to your goals as you study!

Right now I can only think of these. I will tell you more if I can think of more ideas! But the idea is that you have to feel like studying when you choose to study. This is very important. If you are depressed and cannot concentrate in studying, then allow yourself to take a rest. Don't force yourself to study when you are feeling down, as the inefficiency for being at that state will make you feel worse. Being depressed will never make you efficient! But do make sure you are actively spending time to try to feel better. I know its difficult to do than being said, but its always better than doing nothing!

I wish you all the best in your studies!

Life can knock us down, but we can choose to stand up and fight. Never give up!

Why must you fight so badly? Because you dont want to be scared of life anymore!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
aguy Offline
Jason Bourne in the making

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: I can't focus - April 11th 2017, 05:53 AM

Hey there,
I have ADHD so I'll give you some stuff I do.

1) Work in small shots.
2) when you get distracted, do a set of pushups or something
3) Fidgeting. I use shaking my leg, and drumming on my laptop
4) Set out more time than you need
5) highlighting the section you're reading on (if on a laptop)

Hope this helps a bit

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: I can't focus - April 11th 2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Darkness View Post
Because of the recent friendship drama it's been really hard for me to concentrate on my schoolwork. I can't think straight or write right like its even hard for me to write this even though it's just my feelings. It's like all I worry about is what's next, what's gonna happen.
So does anyone have any advice as to focusing? Is there any tactics you use to really focus on something you have to focus on? Music doesn't help me because I get too involved in the music, whatever it may be.
I'd suggest getting out a pen and paper, and write down everything that's bothering you. Even if it's a long paragraphical rant. This might help release some of the tension of what's bothering you. I'd also suggest going to a school counselor to talk to them about what you're struggling with. Believe it or not, writing things down and talking to someone relieves a lot of stress and tension. I know you say music doesn't help, but consider listening to some instrumental music while you write down the things on paper so that your attention focuses on the paper. Something ambient that you can't get lost in but helps you think and process information.

Lastly, I suggest meditating. If you have a phone, there are great apps to do this. This will help you redirect your focus and be more at peace with what's going on. One which is free is called headspace. Good luck.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Erin

Re: I can't focus - April 18th 2017, 01:48 AM

Whenever I'm studying I always light a candle by my laptop, it's something for me to focus on for a moment if I need a break and watching the flame is always relaxing!

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lennarthedlund Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I can't focus - April 20th 2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan09220114 View Post
Hello! It must be difficult to study well when you have so much struggles right now.

Here are a few tips to study efficiently:

1) Set a timetable or a routine schedule. This is very important as you need this to always remind yourself of your study timetable. It makes you more determined to stick to this routine and be focused in that time.

2) No other distractions. You are right, no music is a must for your case, since you mentioned how it affects you when you listen to music. Another key is to not use any electronic device like phones or PC while you study. Just switch them off if you want.

3) Write actively! Jot down simple notes on papers or even better, a notebook. When you write, you force yourself to be busy, instead of just reading. Your brain will be more engaged to what you are learning in this way. It will also make you more focused, because writing requires much more focus than reading.

4) Breaks. VERY IMPORTANT. You must always make yourself fresh, and to do so you need to allocate breaks in between your study. I recommend about 5 minutes break per 30 minutes. No less than that. You need to let your brain to stay fresh and not burnouts for studying an extended amount of time.

5) Reflection and goals. Spent about 5 minutes at the start of the study to ask yourself this: What should I study today? What should I finish studying by the end of this session? Make sure you stick to your goals as you study!

Right now I can only think of these. I will tell you more if I can think of more ideas! But the idea is that you have to feel like studying when you choose to study. This is very important. If you are depressed and cannot concentrate in studying, then allow yourself to take a rest. Don't force yourself to study when you are feeling down, as the inefficiency for being at that state will make you feel worse. Being depressed will never make you efficient! But do make sure you are actively spending time to try to feel better. I know its difficult to do than being said, but its always better than doing nothing!

I wish you all the best in your studies!

Wow, you cool. You amazed me!!! Great job. hope you'll help more people in the future.. Anyway, are you a psychologist by any chance? LOL

Closed Thread