TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Thankful for a summer job - May 6th 2017, 08:42 PM

There's a youth employment program in my city and it runs through a lottery and I got in. I have a job lined up that partners with the program. It is about using art as an agent of social change and involves collaborating with a team who designs and implements 6 mural projects throughout the 6 weeks of the summer program.

I also got my friend to apply and she actually got in before me but now I will get to see her and work with her during the summer. Unless she had chosen a job closer to her I have to ask her that actually.

I hope that this job will help me deepen my skills as a visual artist as well as an active member of my community.

Now excitement aside I'm wondering if you have any advice on these two things

1) the psychistrist I saw mentioned that j should apply for public assistance. If I do apply, will it interfere with my summer job? This job is only for the summer and I didn't work since last summer so having public assistance can be helpful temporarily but should I wait till September to to apply?
2) given my thread in the disability forum, I will find out whether I have ADD on May 19th. If I do, will this be considered a disability? The applicstion for the youth program asked about disability and I said no. But in my previous jobs, I have struggled tremendously that I would end up self harming during my break. And Ibe never had any official accommodations even with a mental illness so I am not sure if I should bring it up, either the ADD or major depression disorder (although I have serious anxiety too)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Thankful for a summer job - May 7th 2017, 12:04 PM

Congratulations on getting into the youth employment program!

I don't know much about public assistance but from what I briefly looked over, as long as your summer job comes under the type of work eligible to meet public assistance then it should be fine. Not sure when to apply though. Perhaps you can look into the requirements for public assistance and see when it may be best to apply and anything else you may need?

It's difficult to say whether a diagnosis of ADD would be considered a disability or not, since it depends on the severity and how it affects you and your ability to work. Here in the UK we have fitness to practice forms that ask about disability and if you say that you do have some form of disability, the employer has to get a note from a doctor or psychiatrist saying that you are fit to work. There's also nothing wrong with asking whomever runs the program about these things as well.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Thankful for a summer job - May 7th 2017, 01:47 PM

Congratulations on getting into the program! I hope this will help you throughout the summer with your mental well-being. This definitely sounds like it's going to give you a sense of purpose, and I hope it does!

As for your questions, don't be afraid to ask people for information. They want to be asked these questions, and it will make you feel better knowing the answers. Holly pretty much answered the questions you have. Don't be afraid to reach out to us if you have to, we're here for you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Thankful for a summer job - May 14th 2017, 09:18 PM

Thank you Holly and Jenna. It turns out I would need proof of disability (documentation) if I claim I have one. I am thinking of just holding out on that. As for public assistsnce. I already get food stamp so I guess the psychistrist meant income assistance. And I will find out more about that.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Thankful for a summer job - May 15th 2017, 12:15 AM

1) I don't know about public assistance, at least not in the US (I am not American).

2) ADHD / ADD is technically a disability... Sort of? I mean, it is in the same way that anxiety is a disability, and much like most neurological conditions it affects peoples lives to various degrees. I have ADHD and anxiety and have never considered myself to be disabled so much as.... neurologically different? But my diagnosis did make me eligible to get academic assistance during university, and some people will be basically "disabled" by their mental illness. I think whether you call it a disability or something else, it does make a difference. in your lived experience.
The thing is, Disclosing is.... sketchy.... Like don't do it without a plan, you still have to be able to do your job. If you say "I have ADHD", what are they supposed to do about that? They might think you're just looking for leniancy, and if you have a nice boss, they will go easy on you but you can't expect that, take it as someone who fully understands what it's like but has had enough jobs to know that people care about their bottom line and reputation and can only spend so much time accommodating their employees -- that's why most laws specify reasonable accommodations. If your neurological conditions are a problem, you should do some research and come up with a plan to get your work donein the bestway for you -- just google stuff like "accommodations for ADHD" or anxiety -- see what you can act out on your own. Plus, depending on what you do, you might want to talk to a variety of people, like your manager , HR or a coworker -- talking to HR is great for protection of your rights so that your disability is documented but not necessarily useful for getting accommodations, depending on how the company works, but they can theoretically work with you and your manager -- but you can also tell your manager that you have a plan involving X, Y and Z because of your health and you would like their support in X ways (it might be something like giving you (3) 10 minute breaks instead of (1) 30 minute break so that you can do whatever is needed during the day, but you have to keep in mind what is reasonable - like it probably won't go over well if you think you can just "slack off" and say "well, I have ADHD" cause that ain't gonna fly, if it's going to look like you're working less, lets safely assume it won't be ok.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Thankful for a summer job - May 15th 2017, 03:29 AM

ADD/ADHD is technically a disability. However, if you were going to try and apply for ssi...they would basically use that diagnosis to determine how it has impacted your life and how it has affected your ability to maintain employment.

I am unsure about what type of public assistance you would be applying for. I do know that with any type of assistance they do use income to determine how much help you will receive. So, if you are working full-time and making minimum wage it is possible that you will not qualify or that you will only qualify for certain things. You should talk to your counselor about it because he's probably more aware of how it works and would probably be able to assist you and tell you if you should wait till the summer job is over.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
L_Escudero Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Liam Escudero

Re: Thankful for a summer job - May 16th 2017, 03:51 AM

Congratulation. Keep it up. Dream big, and god always here..

Closed Thread