TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

UCAS statements? - June 12th 2017, 03:47 PM

Sorry to write this, as it seems like I shouldnt have asked about this matter.

Works has to be original, but I dont know whether I can ask for external help, I am also paranoid that people might search up and know that I asked about it. So please remove this post if it turned out that I shouldnt have asked.

Basically, I am done with AS like a few days ago, and I am going to prepare my UCAS applications during these few weeks. But I realized that i have completely no idea what to write about. As I know of I will need to submit a personal statement and I am at lost about what to write.

I mean, I know the basics of what to write like who I am, what are my education qualifications and so on, but still I cant even fit in 1000 characters that is the minimal requirement.

On an "emotional" point of view though, I think the main problem is more like I will end up writing things like "I am stupid". It feels like I am an idiot and had nothing to show others. I guess you know what I mean

Maybe help?

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.

Last edited by Thinking; June 12th 2017 at 04:26 PM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: UCAS statements? - June 12th 2017, 09:20 PM

Personal statements being original means that it has to be your own words. You are more than welcome to ask for help in general with personal statements. I'm happy to help or check over your personal statement, but perhaps for the sake of privacy, it's better not to post your statement in full on the forums. More so since TeenHelp's legal statement states that posts can't be removed once posted.

It can be helpful to break down the personal statement. Have you had any examples from your teachers? If not, you may want to check out UCAS' guide on personal statements.

It can be daunting to start the statement, and it may seem like the word count is too much and you don't know what to write about. But following the link above, it's helpful to break up the statement into separate parts- what do you want to study and why, skills that you have that would make you a good applicant, extracurricular activities, why you want to study in the UK (if you are international) and maybe even future career plans.

While you have to stick to a word/character limit, it can be good to write as much as possible first and give lots of detail of skills and achievements and then go through it and cut it down. Or you can try to keep the word limit in mind as you go along.

I'm sure you'll be surprised with how much you have to say!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: UCAS statements? - June 13th 2017, 02:56 PM

Hey!

Personal statements are horrible and boring, but they're not as hard as they seem. I've written a couple of my own as well as helping some family and friends with theirs. I tend to stick to the structure I was told about during my A levels so I'll see if that will help at all!

First you need a catch intro. Avoid sweeping statemets about how you've 'always been passionate about' something and show what you know instead. Remember that the administrators have to read hundreds of these, so while it doesn't have to be artistic and insightful, make it interesting. This is basically you introducing yourself to te subject you want to study. It's the hardest part, so if you're struggling, do the rest and come back to the intro!

Next, speak a bit about your subjects at a level. What are they and what skills have they given you? Make sure they're transferable skills (or ones you can use elsewhere too), like problem solving, logical thinking etc. You can exaggerate a little bit here. I know it's hard to fall into the trap of thinking you have nothing to offer them but nobody comes out of school having learnt no skills, so think about the assignments you've had and what they've helped you do. Have you done group work or a project where you've had to show leadership? Have you got a specific essay you're proud of that can show how you organise your time and ideas? Think about what a university might want out of a student, and then think about what you can offer them. You're not stupid, so don't ever think you are! It can be hard to sell ourselves to people but everyone will be having the same trouble here. I know I struggled to make myself sound good, but the point is to give them a reason to want you. You have the reasons, just show them!

Next, talk about any jobs/volunteering you've done, as well as extra curricular activities. This could be a sport, a club at school, or even something you've dont outside of lessons at school that has helped them out. For example, in year 11 I was a house captain, so I spoke about how this taught me to show leadership. It could also be something like mentoring a younger student, or if you've had a job, you could talk about communication or something along those lines. These are just examples. Look at what you've done and sell it to them. What have you learnt from these activities? What has it taught you to cope with or do?

Finally, you need to be able to tell them why you want to go to university. You have these skills that you've spoken about, but what more do you want to get out of your time there? Be honest. I spoke about how I was the first person of my family to go to university. I spoke about how I wanted to increase my confidence. Once you've told them what you can do for them, tell them what they can do for you. Let them know you're passionate about this but don't say you're passionate. The point is to show, not tell, so whatever subject you want to do, show you know what you're talking about. If you have experience or you've read a book that made you fall in love with it, tell them about it. Be yourself!

The whole thing should be about 4000 characters including punctuation and spaces. It seems longer than it is, so you will find after your first draft that you're way over the limit. Don't worry about that, keep redrafting and not cutting down until you're happy with it. Talk to someone at school/college and ask them to read through it. You are allowed help (so don't worry about this thread!), and when I did my first one I had a teacher read every draft, mark it, and return it to me. You can also ask a friend to go through it and proof read it as new eyes can find mistakes you've missed. When you have a copy you're happy with, it'll be time to cut down the words (if you need to). When I do this, I highlight a paragraph and rewrite it below in different words and then keep the shorter version but if you have another way of doing this, do it in a way that you like. Check for double spaces etc. This is all final edit stuff so you won't need to worry for ages yet, and if you need a hand you can always ask!

I hope this helps a bit! Don't worry too much. UCAS statements seem so much worse than they are and once you get going, it isn't too bad. Think about your skills and what you want to achieve, and you're good to go. Make sure its your work - make it personal (it's a personal statement!), and just be yourself.

Good luck!

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread