TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

The process of an art making project (job related) - July 12th 2017, 02:22 AM

hey everyone,

I do doodling and artwork and such on my own time but doing it as a job has been really challenging for me. I realize I have almost zero traditional "fine art" skills. Even more than that, I am having a hard time turning big concepts into imagery and visual representation and metaphors. Ive never been good at coming up with metaphors. I am not well versed with certain things. (I mean I know the color red can mean love or anger or passion depending on the context and white might mean purity but I am not good at formulating it on my own)

Thereally are big concepts we are working with and sever themes that we are trying to integrate to make a mural.

I find myself only able to write words. Not even lyrical or poetic or artistic words but just the concept itself. Like "self determination" or "joy"
I just don't know where to start. We were asked to choose a specific idea that we discussed and hone in on it and design like a draft sketch of how to make that one idea. So in otherwords, it is kinda like storyboarding in a way.

The technical skills we are told that they'd teach us. And honestly I don't know how much they can teach me because I don't even have the basics down. And it all seems so fast paced. Like, I can't keep up. I'm the slow one who doesn't get what's going on and ends up slipping into the cracks and I'm too quiet about it too. The quietness honestly has to do with other stuff too besides being shy and socially anxious. There's other people who are shy as well but they don't need as much help. They are pretty self directed and though their work can be improved, they're "on the right track" whereas I'm very lost. It is like back in high school when I took precalculus and we were told that you don't need experience in precalculus because you'll learn along the way but even though I did pretty okay with math before, I struggled immensely with precalculus and I was miserable.

With art, you've probably seen my drawings in SE. They're clearly not fine art. I am horrible at fine art and I don't have am excuse because I've actually been exposed to it in high school and college.

But I haven't ever been taught the process of developing am art concept and bringing it to life. I've done very limited activities like here and there that touch on it but not in depth. It is like assumed we all know how to do it by default of being human, you just have to activate the inner artist in you etc but still nothing. I'm empty lol.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: The process of an art making project (job related) - July 12th 2017, 08:37 PM

I know how you feel! Artists have these muse that "speak" to them. What does that even mean? I'm a writer and rely on properly constructed plot bunnies; I can't just pull something out of thin air and begin writing. A lot of times, my plot bunnies are inspired by something I read or something that has happened. Those people who say they have muse that "speak" to them has had to begun somewhere. Nobody is a natural-born talent, even though they may show it from very young ages.

I would suggest in your spare time to sit down and let your mind wander. As I already said, I love to write so maybe write whatever comes to mind and then try to create a drawing or painting from that. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, just keep on drawing or painting from the words you come up with. I find this helpful when I am trying to come up with a decent plot bunny.

For instance, I have this ages old notepad. A couple weeks ago, I was scribbling on it (and music was playing, so that might be a good extra help for you) and then one line I wrote just sparked a plot bunny. Of course, it was only a hundred words (a drabble fanfic writers call it) but something nonetheless.

Also, don't be afraid to reach out to the teacher or other students. I'm sure the teachers would be happy to provide additional resources or "homework" for you to take home and practice with, and there's probably one or two student who feel just the same as you. Make use of what you have available, and you really can go a long way. It might seem scary at first and you don't want to come across as stupid or something, but a lot of people would be more than happy to help someone who is struggling with the material.

I hope this has helped.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: The process of an art making project (job related) - July 13th 2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust. View Post
I know how you feel! Artists have these muse that "speak" to them. What does that even mean? I'm a writer and rely on properly constructed plot bunnies; I can't just pull something out of thin air and begin writing. A lot of times, my plot bunnies are inspired by something I read or something that has happened. Those people who say they have muse that "speak" to them has had to begun somewhere. Nobody is a natural-born talent, even though they may show it from very young ages.

I would suggest in your spare time to sit down and let your mind wander. As I already said, I love to write so maybe write whatever comes to mind and then try to create a drawing or painting from that. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, just keep on drawing or painting from the words you come up with. I find this helpful when I am trying to come up with a decent plot bunny.

For instance, I have this ages old notepad. A couple weeks ago, I was scribbling on it (and music was playing, so that might be a good extra help for you) and then one line I wrote just sparked a plot bunny. Of course, it was only a hundred words (a drabble fanfic writers call it) but something nonetheless.

Also, don't be afraid to reach out to the teacher or other students. I'm sure the teachers would be happy to provide additional resources or "homework" for you to take home and practice with, and there's probably one or two student who feel just the same as you. Make use of what you have available, and you really can go a long way. It might seem scary at first and you don't want to come across as stupid or something, but a lot of people would be more than happy to help someone who is struggling with the material.

I hope this has helped.
thank you so much Jenna! This was really helpful. I got a bit of inspiration when we took a group trip to a museum exhibition. I picked out a few that stood out to me and got ideas from it and I am now thinking ways to apply what I learned from these artworks to the mural project my group is working on. I guess I have something to work with now but still nervous about hitting dead ends

Closed Thread