TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Living in dorms and home sickness - August 1st 2017, 12:16 AM

I've always lived in my hometown so I've never had to deal with living somewhere else away from my friends and family. Though I will only be 45 minutes away, I'm going to be so busy with my classes and work I don't know how often I will be able to visit. How does one deal with homesickness? I know it will take time to get used to it but I'm just afraid of never getting comfortable or settled in my dorm. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Living in dorms and home sickness - August 1st 2017, 01:05 AM

Be reassured that you'll meet new friends and find new interests to go to like shows or art exhibits, etc. My college is 45min away too, and I can go as often as I want, but you're moving to an experience entirely new and that calls for staying at your college, meeting new people as much as possible, or else you'll be trapped with not much friends, or maybe not as close or good friends as you'd want. I felt very homesick even though I hated home when I moved to the dorms, but eventually I started to branch out more, make new friends, find social clubs to go to, and now I miss school in the breaks more than my home. Best of luck to you!

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Living in dorms and home sickness - August 1st 2017, 05:39 AM

When I was in college, I think I only experienced homesickness for about two weeks. After that, I got more comfortable and used to my new living situation. My best advice is to make an effort to befriend your roommate(s), even if they don't seem like best friend material. Everyone else in your dorm is going to be in the same boat, so try and be a social butterfly! Some people in my dorm went door-to-door and introduced themselves, and it opens up the opportunity to say hi when you see them on campus and start more friendships. Dorms are great for socializing, and I definitely think creating some friendships right off the bat will help you feel more at home. It's going to be a big transition either way, though. It's best to go into it expecting that, and being ready. I also don't recommend visiting home your first few weeks. I think it only prolongs the transition into feeling comfortable. I think it's better to stay on campus and really immerse yourself. Most of all though, prepare for all of the fun you're going to have! I loved being on my own for the first time in my life, and I met a lot of really cool people. Just stay positive and get excited.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Living in dorms and home sickness - August 1st 2017, 06:16 AM

I have never lived in a dorm but I have had to stay away from home for a long period of time. In my case, I only felt homesick the first few days and then once I got to know other people and got comfortable with them the homesickness became less of an issue.

I would assume that living on campus would be similar and that once you make friends/acquaintances the homesickness will get less intense. I know that some colleges have an orientation for new students (Does yours?) I know a few people who actually ended up making friends at the orientation. One person ended up befriending someone because of a shirt she was wearing. It was a doctor who shirt or something and so they talked about their common interest.

If your school doesn't have an orientation then you should try and work on talking to people as often as you can. If you find out that someone has an interest in a show you really like, a book you like or some other hobby then talk to them.

Lastly, I would suggest joining at least one club because it will be an easy way to meet people who you have a common interest with.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Living in dorms and home sickness - August 1st 2017, 03:53 PM

I've always suffered quite badly from homesickness, but I found that being comfortable is the best way to get through it. In your dorm, try and keep your bedroom door open during the day with a door stop so that people can pop their head around and talk to you. Make the effort with them too, maybe suggest going out for a drink or a coffee when you have a night spare, or ask if they want to do a dorm dinner or something. Even if they're not your best friends, being friendly with your dorm mates will help you feel better there. Find your place in the group and know that everyone will be going through similar feelings. When I moved into my first uni room, one of my flatmates turned up crying her eyes out because she was homesick! It's a common thing.
You could also look online to see if there are social media pages where you can meet the people you'll be living with before moving in, even if just over message. This way you're not going into a totally new environment and you'll know of someone before moving in, which might help a bit.
Finally, if you can't visit home as much, try and set a night or two a week when you can skype call someone and have a catch up. This way you can feel closer to home even if you are 45 minutes away, and this might help to settle you a bit.

I hope it all goes well for you!

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Walterhurley56 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Living in dorms and home sickness - August 14th 2017, 02:48 PM

I think you should not worry about this. You can always decorate your dorm room in the way you like the most. Also you will find a lot of friends there (you dorm mates for example with who you will be dealing with all the troubles connected to can't write that book report due tomorrow or something like that). So don`t worry about that and enjoy your college life.

Last edited by Celyn; August 14th 2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Please don't lead users offsite.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Living in dorms and home sickness - August 18th 2017, 12:05 AM

I never experienced home sickness while living on campus, but my roommate freshman year experienced it a lot and she missed her home a lot. Despite that, she worked through it and enjoyed herself and was able to focus on school work. She attended a college that was a few states away from her home, so she wasn't quite as close as you were but what helped her was staying in contact with her family, but also not making it in a way that she was always dependent on them. She took time to try to distract herself from her family and would sometimes say that thinking about home and her parents made her feel more sad, so instead we would do something fun or go out to eat to try to get her mind off of things.

It's different for everyone, but living in the dorms can be a great experience and I hope that everything goes smoothly for you!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

Closed Thread