TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
inanjan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bijan

Please Help Me - August 23rd 2017, 03:22 AM

Hi, my name is Bijan and I'm 18. I'm a freshman at the University of Central Oklahoma and I'm majoring in music production. Very recently my parents caught me smoking pot. They have told me that I need to find a new place to live and took away my car. I have to take the bus 14 miles to the Oklahoma City campus for ACM@UCO. I guess this is fine but the bus doesn't run after 7 PM. I don't have a job and I need a job. I don't know how to get back and forth between school, a job, and home. Everything would just be so far apart. I don't want to have to give up my education to work full-time since I have a scholarship, but the scholarship money doesn't extend to things like a car or rent, just tuition and fees. What do I do? Please help me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Please Help Me - August 23rd 2017, 07:41 PM

Hey there (and welcome to TeenHelp!)

Sorry to hear that after your parents caught you smoking pot, that you had to find a new place to live, without your car. Is there anyway you can try to make peace with your parents, even if you just come to the compromise that you continue living elsewhere but perhaps have your car back? You can explain that the bus doesn't run after 7pm and that this may cause more problems for you. If not, then maybe you can share a car with a friend (though it's good to pay towards gas as well).

Working while studying can be difficult, but not impossible. Maybe you can try looking at jobs within your university or approach your student union/student wellbeing for ideas and help. Some places may allow you to have money from an emergency fund, but you'll have to check the rules on that. You can also try budgeting your money to make it go further. If you do get work, try to balance that with studying and don't take on more work than you can manage- you still need time to relax as well!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Concinnity Offline
Go gold.
Not a n00b

Name: Hailey

Re: Please Help Me - August 25th 2017, 04:24 AM

Hey, welcome to TeenHelp! I'm new also.

I'm so sorry that you've ended up in this situation, and I hope that your parents might change their minds, especially once they realize the really difficult spot they're putting you in. However, if they don't change their minds, you still have options! It sounds like you are not living in the dorms, so I would recommend trying to find an apartment with a ton of roommates (I'm going to have 5 this year) to bring down the rent as much as possible. Your college probably has a Facebook page or something for finding roommates.

It's also not impossible to work part-time while going to college, and a lot of people (myself included) end up having to do it. Working somewhere between 20-30 hours a week would probably cover your apartment rent and food costs, and you may be able to find a job on campus or near campus.

As for food, check to see if your campus has any free food resources! You may have access to an on-campus food bank, free produce, an emergency fund, etc. I'd do some asking around/googling!

Do you have any classes that prevent you from taking the bus by 7 pm? If so, you can probably drop them and switch them out for earlier classes! Usually universities will let you drop classes up to 10-20ish days into the quarter/semester, but check on that to be sure.

I hope everything works out okay, and that you are able to keep your scholarship! I'm a sophomore in college this year, so feel free to message me if you have any questions about how to handle all of this.

Closed Thread