TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

How does uni looks like in general? - October 6th 2017, 12:36 PM

I am sorry for this really stupid question..

But how does university life generally be like? Besides lectures and studies and possibly co-curricular activites, anything else?

Also, how will those co-curricular activites be like?

Again, sorry for the stupid question

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: How does uni looks like in general? - October 6th 2017, 12:46 PM

Hey Ivan!

These aren't stupid questions at all. If you're a bit like me, you want to know all the details of something new before you get there, so I get that

University life depends on the uni. I spent three weeks at one uni before dropping out and going to another, and both were very different! Will you be living on campus or at home?
If you live on campus, you'll probably find the student life element to be a bit more prominent. In halls at my first one, there were a lot of parties and it was all very social. However, at my second uni, I lived off campus and found that the social side of things was less important.

For me, university was much more adult than school or college. I felt like I could be myself a bit more. You're a lot more free to make up your own mind about things. For instance, you're in control of your time organisation and people are less on your back about getting things done, which has the positive of letting you grow up a bit, but the negative that you get away with less and only really damage your own grades! People are also a lot more friendly, I find. Everyone is there because they want to be, and those who don't want to be, probably just wont turn up as much! Most people you speak to will be really nice, and you get to learn a lot through their beliefs and opinions just as much, if not more, than you do in lectures.

I didn't do many extra curricular activities, but mostly, you'll be able to find societies and groups during freshers week. There is usually a fair you can go to, which will have stools and freebies as well as other students promoting various societies. You can have a chat with them and join up to those that interest you, and they usually have group outings or meetings, as well as certain roles or contributions within the university itself.

I hope this is some help for you! Let me know if you have any other questions or if I haven't touched on something you really wanted to know. I'm happy to help!

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: How does uni looks like in general? - October 6th 2017, 08:12 PM

As Hollie said, university life depends on the university. Personally I also think it depends on you as a person. While each university has its own atmosphere (mine is very laid back and we can joke around with the lecturers within reason) it also depends on how you are as a person too. Another point Hollie made is it being more of an adult school, this I can quite agree with, moreso if you're planning on studying away from home because you don't have your parents to micromanage your every need like you would at home. They aren't there to wash your clothes, make you dinner, clean up after you or even the more personal stuff like give you hugs and physical support when you need it. You essentially become required to be near completely independent. You manage when you go to bed, when you get up, if you should go to that horrible 1 hour 9 AM lecture with a 3-5 hour gap between it and your next one. You decide if and how you clean your room, clothing and dishes. Everything is up to you. For me being more independent was something I've thoroughly enjoyed, but I do know a lot of people struggled with being away from their family because they weren't used to having to almost completely think for themselves. They weren't always sure what to do when they caught the flu, they weren't sure how to go about dealing with said flu whilst having 3 deadlines mount up all in the same week and they weren't sure how to deal with the stress of what to do with it all. But when the time came they pushed forward and they ploughed on and grew as a person and as an adult, because that is what you are at university, an adult.

In terms of lectures it depends on what course you select. I do a joint honours degree and my timetable hours have ranged from 22 hours to 12 with an average of 16 per week, others I know have had more than those hours, someone I know who does Creative Writing has just 6 hours of lectures per week. Again it depends on the course you select. In addition, depending on what course you select, not all of your time spent at university is actually lectures. Currently 6 hours of my 16 total hours is lab work and these hours can also vary depending on the course you select. Also, by lab work I don't mean the stereotypical scenario where some research lab tech is stood over some test tubes in a white lab coat either, my lab work involves a lot of sitting at a computer and programming, or using certain computer-oriented software, whereas others have lab work that involves standing over a broken radio and learning how to fix it. Other courses I know have regular field work, which is neither sat listening to somebody yap on for 1-2 hours, nor is it doing some kind of non-written task, but actually going outside and collecting samples, observing nature or other environmentally-orientated tasks.

I'm unsure which country you're from but here in the UK, beyond university work each university has a variety of societies that you pay a small fee towards though there are some that can be joined entirely free of charge, and often involve people who are rather like-minded in many aspects. They all joined together because they each have a common interest whether it's something sporty like football or tennis, or something completely different like volunteering roles, dance groups or people who enjoy horticulture. Societies can also offer taster sessions so freshers can come try out what the society is like and see if they like it enough to continue participating. I joined 3 in my first year and 1 in my second. Due to time constraints I stepped going to the societies in my first year, but that was mostly because I'm a poorly organised person with bad time management though this time around I hope that will have improved based off of my first year experience.

I can't speak for anybody else, but for me university has been really good and is definitely a lot different to school or college. Extra activities are also really enjoyable and it's always great to meet people who have similar interests as me. I've met some great people at university and I really enjoy spending time chatting and getting to know them, but it has also helped me develop and grow further as a person too.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: How does uni looks like in general? - October 7th 2017, 01:56 AM

These aren't stupid questions (they are awesome!)

So every unis different, sadly. If you go to a larger uni (like mine!) you'll probs have HEAPS of co curricular. My uni has heaps of clubs, from sport to food, to study to movies. Take your pick. Uni life is way more free than school. Its upto you to go to lectures (unless attendance is taken) and tutes (again unless mandatory). You're responsible for your learning. but the perks are you are treated like an adult and given the right to question.

I made THIS post earlier. It has heaps of info. You're welcome to PM me to talk about uni!

Enjoy your uni life. Tis great

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

Closed Thread