TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

A few questions about volunteering ^^ - December 10th 2017, 09:45 AM

I've already discussed this a bit in the past but I want to work in an oncology clinic, however, I don't know exactly what I want to do. Right now, I just really want to do some volunteer work with cancer foundations so I can get a feel of working with people and learning new skills. There are 5, possibly 6 foundations I want to work with for now and that sounds like a lot but it's for specific events so I'll be with different foundations for different days. I'm sure the events will be spaced apart (like months apart or weeks, at least) and I'll be there for 1-8 hours per day. And it'll all be a one-time thing unless they ask me to volunteer again. Keep in mind that I've never actually volunteered or done like work selling stuff (cashier work? I don't know what to call that) so I'm super nervous but I really want to do this. I'm just scared that I'll be too nervous and get cold feet but I need to register in advance. But I'm excited and they said they'd have people there on the day who'll show me what to do so it should be fine.
Is that too many events to sign up for? (5 or 6 throughout 2018) if they want me to do more I will but for now that's all.

There's just a few things I'm confused about. First, a few places, if they were children's charities required a police check and verification to work with children. Where do you get this from? Can I like fill out a form online or do I need to go to a police station? I guess it would have to be online because how else would the charities get my info? One or two charities also wanted a resume but to be honest, I have no idea how to write one So...how do you write a resume? And this is my last question, I swear, but how do I bring this up to my mom? I need parental consent to volunteer with the foundations because I'm a minor but I just feel a little awkward asking to sign up for 5 or 6 events…

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: A few questions about volunteering ^^ - December 11th 2017, 12:54 PM

Hey,

I'm writing this on my phone so I'm sorry in advance if my spelling is a bit off! I think it's great that you want to start to volunteering. If the events are quite spaced out I don't think 5 or 6 is too many but perhaps you can call and enquire as to when you'll be needed just to.make sure they aren't all going to be on top of each other. The nerves are natural. I started my voluntary work this year and i' d never been very good socially and was worried how I would do sitting with a person one on one and talking to them. What I found was that the support offered really made a difference. Find out who your supervisor or contact will be and get to know them and how you can get in touch if you're struggling. Everyone I know who has done volunteering has had great support from their mentors who know you're nervous.

I'm not sure how it works where you live as I'm not sure where you are in terms of the police check. In the UK, the company asks for certain documents like a proof of identity and address etc and then send them off for the check to be completed..and you then get awarded a certificate to say your check is clear. Again, don't be afraid to ask them what you need to do! Chances are they will forward you all the info you need buy be proactive if you're anxious about it.

Resumes are boring to make but you can usually find a good template online. Outline a bit about yourself and your education as well as your key skills which might help you in this work. If you have any voluntary or paid experience at all you can note that down too so you have evidence of where you've shown these skills.

Finally..dont be afraid to ask your mum! Volunteering us such a great experience and I'm sure she's going to be so.proud of you for wanting to donate your time to help people. Have a chat with her about why and maybe offer to get her some more info on the charities so she doesn't have to worry about anything. If there's someone she can contact if she has concerns you can try and find their details too.

Let us know how it goes. I hope you really enjoy the volunteering and gain a really positive experience from it like I have!

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread