TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
Creator of my own world...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Medical Coding - December 30th 2017, 06:48 PM

So I'm considering going back to school for health information management. I actually go on the third to sign up for classes if I choose to do so. Does anyone here have any experience with health information management and medical coding? I know that you can work from home as a medical coder as well, do any of you have experience working from home and how is it? Do you really need motivation to work from home like it is taking online classes? I'd imagine so, but I've also heard some agencies actually make you "clock in" on a computer and "clock out" whenever you're taking a break. I plan on talking to a few outside of the internet world, but I just wanted to ask some of you if you've had any experience in this type of work.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Medical Coding - December 30th 2017, 07:42 PM

My college has a degree that is similar. It's a Health Information Technology and it would essentially prepare someone for becoming a medical biller and coder. I am interested in pursuing this because I would only have to take the classes that are related to the degree since I have already completed my general education.

I do not know a ton about it but I have heard that it's a relatively good degree to have and that it can open doors to a lot more. I know a few people that have/are working from home and there are different requirements depending on the company. For example, some companies require that the person has a really quiet environment due to them having to make calls and assist people, other companies require the person to get a certain amount of hours in each week but don't require all that much clocking in and some places will require you to 'clock in' at a certain time etc.

It might be good to look over the requirements for this specific course/degree and than discuss it with your counselor. My college requires Human Biology and that's the main course that makes me nervous since most if not all of the Human Biology teachers aren't all that good. However, different colleges are going to have different requirements and different teachers.

Sorry I can't provide you with any direct information as this is something I am still considering myself.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Medical Coding - December 30th 2017, 08:27 PM

My boyfriend's brother works as a medical coder and has for the last two years. But he works through a office, but I've heard minimum complaints about the actual work (mainly about co-workers)

Thats about all I got off hand, I can try and get more info if wanted.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Medical Coding - December 30th 2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaty View Post
My boyfriend's brother works as a medical coder and has for the last two years. But he works through a office, but I've heard minimum complaints about the actual work (mainly about co-workers)

Thats about all I got off hand, I can try and get more info if wanted.
Not trying to take over the thread but more information would be great. I'm curious what the requirements are for coding. Is the degree a necessity or are there other routes/ways to get the necessary education.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline

Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Medical Coding - December 30th 2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
Not trying to take over the thread but more information would be great. I'm curious what the requirements are for coding. Is the degree a necessity or are there other routes/ways to get the necessary education.
Not a problem. I am highly interested as well.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Medical Coding - December 30th 2017, 10:51 PM

I looked into this too, from what I can find a degree isn't necessary, but certification and experience is, a degree will help though. It can be hard to break into without experience and new certification. You can work from home, but need years of experience first. I might eventually do it, but I'm not sure anymore.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline

Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Medical Coding - December 31st 2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I looked into this too, from what I can find a degree isn't necessary, but certification and experience is, a degree will help though. It can be hard to break into without experience and new certification. You can work from home, but need years of experience first. I might eventually do it, but I'm not sure anymore.
That's good to know! I plan on getting at least a certification in medical coding, I actually get it in the first year of going for health information management. I've heard from a few people that work from home around here just a little bit ago and they said what they had to do was work for a certain company for a year in their office, then they were good to go working at home.

I'm kinda excited about pursuing this.

Resilient

(#8 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Medical Coding - January 2nd 2018, 02:01 PM

I finally got around to talking to my boyfriend about this last night.

His brother has an associates degree in it. I believe his is actually in Medical Reimbursement and Coding. He also didn't start working in this till he got his degree. His first job was actually a place he got to know through a internship for his degree.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

Closed Thread