TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

English tutoring - February 20th 2018, 08:20 PM

Would anyone be willing to tutor me in English Composition? I'm from the US, so I would need someone who is familiar with the American spelling of words and such. You can send me a private message to let me know if you'd be available and what time and day works for you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: English tutoring - February 21st 2018, 06:05 AM

What exactly are you needing help with and for what level of comp? I might be able to help!

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: English tutoring - February 21st 2018, 07:06 PM

I'm duing Essay writing, and I'm in High School.

Last edited by The_Beauty_Within; February 24th 2018 at 05:11 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: English tutoring - February 21st 2018, 10:11 PM

Would you need help with editing the essay or something like that? I think there are people on the site who would be happy to help you with that.

Have you considered talking to your teachers and getting some tips/suggestions from them?

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: English tutoring - February 22nd 2018, 05:10 AM

English was my favorite subject in high school! If you still want/need help with anything, feel free to PM me and I'll do the best that I can to help you out.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: English tutoring - February 22nd 2018, 07:24 PM

yes, I need help editing the essay, and making sure it all flows together.
When doing a ppersuasive essay, I know that I need an argument against my thesis statement. However, do I need to provide evidence to support the argument against my thesis statement?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: English tutoring - February 24th 2018, 04:02 PM

Here's an essay that I'm working on.
English Composition
Hadley Institute for the Blind and Visually Impaired
February 12, 2018

The disadvantages of attending the state school for the blind.

Some people argue that students with visual disabilities are better off attending the state schools for the blind, because they have the one-on-one instruction that the student will need. However, I believe that students who attend the state school for the blind are at a disadvantage because the academics taught at these schools are at a lower grade level, and these students are sheltered from their sighted peers. Another disadvantage, is that no student is shown how to develop the skills to stand up for themselves or ask for what they need.
The state schools for the blind hold students back from their public-school peers since they are sheltered from non-visually impaired students. When a student attends the state school for the blind, they do not have the option to interact with students who are completely sighted. Because of this, they do not learn how to deal with common issues such as bullying in a constructive way.
Likewise, the state schools for the blind do not teach at the grade level of their students. The academics that are taught at the state schools for the blind are behind their public-school academics. Consequently, students who attend this state school for the blind are not up to grade level and are at a disadvantage later as most students who attend the state schools do not venture out in the workplace.
Students who attend the state schools for the blind do not develop the advocacy skills needed in adult life. Because the state schools for the blind do not provide the student the chance to ask for what they need, the skills needed to be able to advocate are not developed. The student therefore is not able to become assertive and ask for what they need in the workplace- they expect the world to already know what they need.
In conclusion, although there are Some people who argue that students with visual disabilities are better off attending the state schools for the blind, because they have the one-on-one instruction that the student will need, However, I believe that students who are visually impaired or blind are at a disadvantage attending a state school for the blind. These students will not get the opportunity to learn at the same level as their sighted peers. Second, high school students will not learn to advocate for books either in large print or Brail. Third, students of all ages will not learn how to settle conflicts with peers.

Last edited by The_Beauty_Within; February 25th 2018 at 12:46 AM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: English tutoring - February 28th 2018, 08:40 PM

I would guess that you would need evidence to support your argument, but I guess it depends on the criteria of the essay/whether the teacher expects evidence.

I quickly skimmed your essay, and I think it's good. I like your introduction and think it sets out your essay well. I'm wondering whether you can expand a bit on the first point of your essay...perhaps talk about how students miss out on being able to work and get on with those without visual impairments (inclusion)? I know bullying is a problem, but you do mention lack of advocacy further on down in your essay, and maybe the bullying would fit in there?

Also, in the conclusion, you have capitalised the first letter of 'Some' and 'However' which don't need to be capitalised. Other than that, I think your essay is fine

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread