TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Go to college or get a job? - May 27th 2009, 01:01 PM

I cant decide what to do and whilst I know I am the only one who can decide, I wondered if anyone could give me any pointers. I never have any money and going to college would be a real push, and difficult to afford, I was originally going for the experience, but it is going to take 2 hours to get there and back a day, Ill have barely anytime at home, and I get basically no financial support for a year because of the nature of the course.

However, if needs be, I could afford it, but thing is is recently having no money, Im beginning to wonder if I would enjoy it, completely skint working or travelling every waking second, when I could just go get a job, start earning, learning to drive, and although not exactly having looong hoiday, when I did, Id have the money to travel further afield.

Also college is 4 days a weeks, weekends and Wednesdays I get off, where as work would probably be 5, but then again, Id spend the Wednesday working anyways, and catching up on sleep...

I know its my decision, but if anyones got any input, it would be greatly appreciated...

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Christ lover- Offline
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Re: Go to college or get a job? - May 27th 2009, 02:08 PM

If you go to college you would have more options and make more money when you got out whether than going right on to work. Does the college you plan to attend have any on cambus houseing if they do that would cut down A LOT on the travel time even though you would be "leaveing the nest" as it were.
  Send a message via AIM to _Christ lover- Send a message via MSN to _Christ lover-  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Go to college or get a job? - May 27th 2009, 02:10 PM

I'd say go to college, try it, see if you like it.

If you go to college you are widening your choice of options career-wise, and are more likely to get a higher paid job since you will have more qualifications.

If you get a job, chances are it won't be something spectacular, but you are making money.

Can you not go to college and get a part-time job?

I'd strongly recommend college, but if you do choose to get a job, you can always return to college in a few years.
  Send a message via MSN to Lozzaa Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzaa 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Go to college or get a job? - May 27th 2009, 02:35 PM

I vote, "Go to college." Here's why:
Although you could get a job now, you wouldn't be making nearly as much as you would after going to college unless you get really really lucky. Even though it costs a lot now, it would be worth it in the long run. Speak with the school's financial office and see about financial aid - scholarships, federal loans, private loans, etc. It CAN be done. I'm in school completely on loans, but I know it'll be worth it.
I would also suggest finding something closer? You don't want to have to drive 2 hours a day to do that. Either that, or see if the college has a campus housing option.
If you want to go to college, you can work things so you can afford it.

Good luck!
~Emily

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Go to college or get a job? - May 27th 2009, 04:07 PM

Hey Joel.

It's ultimately up to you, and what you feel you're capable of. But if you want my honest opinion, I say go to college. Sure, you'll be mega poor for a few years, but I reckon it's worth it. Because when you leave, you'll be so much more qualified and really able to get a decent job. With the way the economy is these days, you're better off in school anyway, and hopefully there will be some great jobs waiting for you when you leave. You wouldn't the first, and certainly not the last broke student. People make do, I reckon you could manage too.

Just think very carefully. This could affect your whole life. Good luck, Joel, in whatever you decide.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Cullen Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Go to college or get a job? - May 27th 2009, 04:15 PM

I went to sixth form for a year and absolutely hated it, so I quit and got a job. Best decision I ever made, I gotta say. I'm in my second job since leaving school and it's leading me towards getting an NVQ, which is going to open loads more doors for me.

I think it might be a good idea for you to get a job, for a year atleast, get a bit of money and experience behind you. By then you may have changed your mind about college or what you want to study. You could try out a few jobs if you want, see if anything takes your fancy.

The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows...
Keep The Blood In Your Head, And Keep Your Feet On The Ground.

Nov 29th 2010 <3

Do I Divide And Fall Apart?
My Bright's Too Slight To Hold Back All My Dark.
  Send a message via MSN to Cullen  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Go to college or get a job? - May 27th 2009, 04:29 PM

I've recently left college half way through to get a job. and I'm very happy. I didn't enjoy my course, meaning I couldn't properly put my heart and soul into it. My grades where awful, and whilst I will miss the people a lot, I make time to see them. And now I have more money, I can look after myself better. (Breaks away, going out for meals, shopping etc). My job also has training so I don't feel I'm completely out of education.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#8 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Go to college or get a job? - May 30th 2009, 09:33 PM

I would say go to college. It is so hard to get a job at the moment and going to college would mean higher qualifications so more job opportunities at the end and probably higher pay as well. It is definitely up to you. Perhaps write down the pros and cons for each option because that might help you decide.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Go to college or get a job? - May 30th 2009, 09:52 PM

I would just go to college because there would many more job opportunities to get a job and you would regret it if you don't.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
RoseOfDawn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Go to college or get a job? - May 31st 2009, 11:58 AM

Hi, Joel.
Well it seems to me like you want to try out college, and yeah, thats a pretty good experience to have. But if you can't afford it, then the next few years are going to be a real struggle for you. I suppose you could always try both - getting a job and going to college. It would limit your social hours, admittedly, but it means you are earning money and also getting a college experience to hopefully get a good paid job that you enjoy. I think that this option could be better in the long run for you, you would probably end up in a job you enjoy and things back to normal after college. You would be able to ditch your part time job as well. But do remember, you can try out college and if its too much for you, then you can drop it. It's not that big a deal. You could pick it back up again when you can afford it.
Hope it works out.

X

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kate Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kate

Re: Go to college or get a job? - June 1st 2009, 11:56 PM

uni/college is a great experience. You dont really have to decide between either. You can do both. You can choose to study full time or part time and even if you study full time you can still work part time - its brilliant.

As for finances - see if your state or country has a study help loan thing. Im in australia and the government is paying my fees and i pay them back in my tax once i am qualified. See if there is something like that available to you. If not - parents/guardians are always brilliant.

Goodluck.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
FastForward2012 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: Go to college or get a job? - June 1st 2009, 11:58 PM

College. Or both if possible.
Some colleges have internships that you can do.

To Write Love On Her Arms<3

(#13 (permalink)) Old
delilah Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Go to college or get a job? - June 2nd 2009, 12:51 AM

It depends what you wanna do with yourself. I went straight to uni, because the job i want you can only get if you have a degree. Three years and I'll be having my dream job (haha if i get hired!)

If you have no idea what you want to do, no idea what you want to study at college, you might be best off waiting for a bit until you do know. Becasue college is expensive and it's a waste of time to study somthing you don't enjoy and don't plan on using when you could just be working. IF howveer you know what you want to do and it does involve going to college. then go, do it, be poor and you'll leave feeling really pleased with yourself.

I've got another year and a half to go. and sure i'm still at home, havn't got the money to move out...but seriously i'll be just 20, and fully qualified for a $50,000+ job entry level position.

Closed Thread