TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Didn't get the job feeling quite depressed - June 27th 2018, 07:33 PM

Hi everyone

I currently work for o2 the english mobile phone company and I saw an opening to work for Apple. I have always wanted to work for Apple ever since I was a little kid I got through the first stage easily because I am one of the best in the world when it comes to job interviews. I mean it when I say that I have been trained by my brother who's a top top manager! I rarely get rejected for jobs very rarely!

I went for a group interview I have only ever done one of these once before. I was nervous because I don't enjoy group interviews but I was not worried because I knew how good I am at talking and taking control of interviews. I went in there and put in one really good performance I felt I was my normal self I took control of the group interview at points. I also have the experience as I work for o2 and I was easily the best candidate in the room probably better then most of the people who work for Apple in that store.

I don't mean to sound big headed but I am as good as I sound. I am feeling quite upset because SOME HOW! I didn't get the job. Everyone else in there was no where near on my level I do not understand how the fuck I fucked that up!

I am more upset because im worried about losing my job again I am not sure if you are aware but I was working for Three another English mobile phone provider on really good money but I lost my job... 1 because they didn't like me and were giving me homophobic abuse and 2 because I failed to hit my targets.

I walked straight in to another job the same role 4 hours a week less then what I was doing the only major difference is that the pay is shit. I am worried about not hitting my targets again I am not even on targets yet as I have only been there for a few weeks but I am one to worry especially after past experience I had my sights set on Apple I really did but I just can't believe it. Apple have lost out on a very good worker and I have lost out on an awesome job.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Didn't get the job feeling quite depressed - June 28th 2018, 04:10 AM

Hi there,

I am so sorry you didn't get the job.

I emphasis what it's like to really want a job and getting rejected after the interview. It can be disheartening but there will be other jobs out there that will acknowledge your talents and will realise that you'll be an amazing staff member for their company.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Didn't get the job feeling quite depressed - June 28th 2018, 04:22 AM

Hey,

I am sorry you didn't get the job. I know it's disappointing but you shouldn't look at it as you failing. I think it's amazing that you went on the interview and held on to your confidence despite being nervous. That's not easy to do! One thing you could consider doing is asking them what you could do to improve. Some people will provide the person with tips on how to improve for next time. Since you got through to this stage it's possible that in the future there will be a next time; if you know how to improve that might help for next time. Asking them what you could improve on might be difficult though. I know that asking people what I could do to improve was always hard to do but the few times I got suggestions proved to be helpful.

I hear that you feel stressed about your current job. I am wondering if you have any tools to help you try and cope with that stress? It's not uncommon for people to take time to adjust to a new job; I think that might be some of the reason you aren't on target. It's possible that with time, appropriate training and practice you will start to meet your targets.

Wishing you the best and please know I am here if you need anything.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Didn't get the job feeling quite depressed - June 28th 2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
Hey,

I am sorry you didn't get the job. I know it's disappointing but you shouldn't look at it as you failing. I think it's amazing that you went on the interview and held on to your confidence despite being nervous. That's not easy to do! One thing you could consider doing is asking them what you could do to improve. Some people will provide the person with tips on how to improve for next time. Since you got through to this stage it's possible that in the future there will be a next time; if you know how to improve that might help for next time. Asking them what you could improve on might be difficult though. I know that asking people what I could do to improve was always hard to do but the few times I got suggestions proved to be helpful.

I hear that you feel stressed about your current job. I am wondering if you have any tools to help you try and cope with that stress? It's not uncommon for people to take time to adjust to a new job; I think that might be some of the reason you aren't on target. It's possible that with time, appropriate training and practice you will start to meet your targets.

Wishing you the best and please know I am here if you need anything.
Hi I am far from stressed I am just worried about hitting my sales targets. I need to hit them to keep in the job it's part of the job I work in a terrible place where no one has any money for a mobile phone we are one of the smallest stores in the country and it's hard to get deals over the line especially business ones.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Didn't get the job feeling quite depressed - June 30th 2018, 01:19 AM

I need to ask a question and please don't take it personally but I have to ask because I am wondering: are you sure that your arrogance/ego/over confidence didn't cost you the job?

Being good at interviews doesn't necessarily mean that you were as qualified for the job, nor did it mean that you were the right fit.

For example, maybe they were put off that you were, in your own words, taking over the group interview; they might have perceived that as you making it all about yourself and you not being a team player because you thought you were so much better than everyone else. What you perceived as you making it clear that you were qualified and "better" than everyone else, they might have perceived as outright arrogance and a lack of team player-ness. Maybe they were put off if you were trying to steer a group interview that they were direct to give everyone a fair shot in a way that made you look the best.

At the end of the day, being good at talking doesn't mean you were the right fit. Hell, recently I didn't get a job because they thought I was going to get bored and quit; they liked me, I was hella more than qualified and I still didn't bloody well get it. Sometimes these things aren't "fair" and they don't always hire the people based on their skills alone, things like whether you'll fit into the team, whether you can step back and allow someone else to take the lead/someone else to shine, and whether you'll stick around might matter more depend on the managers needs. It sucks that you had to sit in a room and were assessing how you had skills needed for this job and are generally confident in your supposedly awesome interview skills, but while you were judging them, they were also judging you and it might have just been one little thing that was wrong; after all, you can always train people on the technical stuff, but if they thought someone else had the right soft skills, then that's that. Also, lots of people are good at this, btw, we don't all need training from a top manager, I'm not triyng to take that away from you, but I just thought it might help to know that it's not necessarily the fault of your interview skills

If possible, just follow up and ask why they didn't hire you. I do it all the time (well, if I get rejected after a job interview). It's helpful - it's why I know I didn't get the one job cause they liked me a lot and thought I was more than qualified but they also thought I'd get bored and quit within a year or 2, which is 100% true, and they wanted someone more long term.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
MMantlo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maddyson

Re: Didn't get the job feeling quite depressed - June 30th 2018, 02:48 PM

I am sorry you didn't get the job. I know it's disappointing but you shouldn't look at it as you failing. I think it's amazing that you went on the interview and held on to your confidence despite being nervous,sure you did a good job!Again sorry for not getting the job.

Closed Thread