TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Essie17 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Esme

Super scared to start uni - September 4th 2018, 10:23 AM

Hello!
Sorry i havent been on here for a while, i have been dealing with a few things but now i really need help and I was wondering if anyone had some advice that could help me.
I am starting university in three weeks and I am super super scared. I wasnít sure if it was something I wanted to do so I took a gap year and then decided to apply and go this year. In some ways I am really excited (making my room pretty, meeting new people, starting my course) but I am also terrified about starting as well. I donít know how I am going to cope with cooking and doing my own laundry and I am scared that I wonít make friends and will miss home lots.
Its all started to get really real now with getting things ready and packing them into the boxes and I keep crying every time I think about starting uni. I get upset about missing out on things back home and I wonít see my friends or family for ages.
Is it normal to feel this upset and scared? Is there anything I can do to help me calm down about starting uni and not feel as anxious and stressed as I am now. I donít want to feel like this for another three weeks ☹

Sorry it was so long, Thanks in advance for any advice.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Super scared to start uni - September 4th 2018, 09:50 PM

Hey, I was scared to start college too, so you're definitely not alone. I think a lot of people feel similar too.

I don't know how close your university will be to your house, but a lot of people visit their family and/or friends at least a few weekends per semester. Your relationships with them may change, but it doesn't mean they end. It's hard at first, but you can stay in contact with people with phones and internet. Try to focus on meeting new people--clubs, sports, group fitness classes, classmates. Also it's okay if you don't make new friends right away. It took me a while to make friends, and it's okay, and you're not alone in that if it happens.

Do you have a meal plan? If so, use it when possible. If not, start with simple meals. Make pasta, sandwiches, most breakfast food is pretty easy, cereal, pre-cooked refrigerated chicken heats up pretty well with some butter and generic seasonings, frozen vegetables with butter and seasoning, frozen chicken tenders (good with tomato pasta sauce if you don't have ketchup), rice maybe. Freeze some homemade meals right before you leave for college to take with you. See what sauces/marinades are at the grocery store. It's always good to have food on hand that you don't have to cook or can be made in the microwave/toasteroven. Good generic seasonings are garlic powder, Italian seasoning, vegetable seasoning, etc--premixed are good for simplicity.

Also, for laundry, detergent pods can make laundry a bit easier if you can afford them. If you struggle with remembering to do laundry, pick a day and time of the week for laundry and always do it then. And always have extra clothes on hand for another couple days.

Other general advice is to attend class and to plan a schedule and stick to it (especially for online classes--just schedule them into your day like any other class).

Feel free to message me if you have any questions

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

Last edited by Tigereyes; September 5th 2018 at 12:07 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Super scared to start uni - September 4th 2018, 09:53 PM

Hey!

It's totally normal to be nervous about starting uni. I've started two different unis and for various reasons I left my first one, but both times I was really nervous. I remember moving into halls in number 1 and the first time I saw one of my flat mates she was crying her eyes out. For most people, moving away from home to a whole new place is scary, and there are a lot of skills you don't have yet that you'll develop, so even though it's upsetting and worrying, you're not reacting any differently to so many other people in the same position.

My advice to you would be:

See if there are social media pages for your uni. If you're moving into halls you may be able to find some people who you'll be staying with and get to know them before moving there. I did this and it was such a nice feeling to know of at least one person who I'd be living with - and even though the uni didn't work out, she and I are still friends 5 years later. Also, check for social events. Sometimes there are freshers pages or student union pages that will post about events happening that you might be into. The freshers fair when you move there is a good place too. You might find some societies you can join so people with similar interests can get to know you, and it'll help you get to know the campus and area too.

Remember that video calling and visits are ok! I went home my very first weekend to visit. When I started my second uni and moved into a flat, I visited home all the time too. Video calls help keep you connected to your family so that if you're getting home sick you can keep in touch. I remember many nights crying to my friends and having them do the same because we missed each other. It's normal, and you can go home any time to visit.

Bring things from home with you too. Blankets or pictures or posters. Make your room yours, somewhere you feel safe and comfortable. If it gets too much you can always shut your door for a bit, but otherwise, having it open might help you make friends too. But know you don't have to have it open all the time.

Finally, remember there are support services at most unis. Counselling or lecturers you can talk to who can really help. In my third year I spent a lot of time with my supervisor talking about how things were going and I found that it helped me so much when things were hard. You're not alone there, and you're not trapped there either, so I know it's hard not to worry but you may really love it when you get there. And if not, there are other options, but try to remind yourself why you're doing this. It may be wonderful.

I hope your move goes ok. Keep us updated and good luck!

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Essie17 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Esme

Re: Super scared to start uni - September 5th 2018, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the replies, Tigereyes and Everglow.

My uni is going to be about a 6hour drive from my house but i dont know how i would get back for weekends because i can only get back if my dad comes and collects me which i dont know how often that will be. I dont have a meal plan as of yet, i was just going to work food out as i went! Thanks for the laundry and lesson advice!

I have found a girl who is on my course and have been talking and on facetime to her a bit which has made me feel a bit better about going because i kind of know someone who will be there with me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
crystalbrincks Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Super scared to start uni - September 11th 2018, 09:35 AM

Hey, looks like you are doing small but efficient steps forward uni! Congrats!

Closed Thread