TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DisneyGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,340, Level: 11 Points: 6,340, Level: 11 Points: 6,340, Level: 11

Will I get kicked out of college?? - October 19th 2018, 12:04 PM

Hey guys. I’m 18 and this is my first year at a 2 year junior college. I’m absolutely terrified right now. I turned in my English paper which was worth 200 points. We only have 3 essays through this semester. On the first one I got a 145/150. On this one I had worked through it and was rushing to submit it. after I submitted it I felt so much better. 2 days later I just woke up in the middle of the night and realized that although I put quotes around everything I gathered from the articles with the author’s names, I completely forgot to add a work cited page!! My teacher is very strict on this and told us from the beginning that it’s the most important page and that without it we have committed plagiarism. I only have that class once a week and we are meeting today and I am absolutely terrified that I’m going to get kicked out of college or something! She hasn’t looked into my essay yet as it is not graded, but I’m terrified to even email her about this matter. I tried to see if I could resubmit it as I added the work cited page now in the google doc, but it is too late. It was incredibly careless of me and I know that I may have to retake this class now. I’m so scared of how disappointed my boyfriend and parents are going to be in me... I don’t even want to tell them that this has happened. I’m so embarrassed and my boyfriend’s parents are big on college and will greatly frown down upon me that I could have let this happen. I’m in tears and don’t know what to do.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23

Re: Will I get kicked out of college?? - October 19th 2018, 02:39 PM

If you address this with the prof, you shouldn't have to worry about that. They're primarily looking for intentional plagiarism, and even then, they usually don't kick people out until the second offense.

I would recommend emailing your professor about this as soon as possible with the attached works cited page. Your professor will notice that it's missing, and it's best to address this immediately and directly so that she knows you weren't trying to plagiarize. If your professor is really strict about that, you might lose a fair amount of points for not submitting the works cited with the rest of the paper; however, you probably won't get in trouble for plagiarism since this wasn't your intention, and you made every effort to correctly cite your sources. Also talk to your prof about this in person too, if possible. At worst, you will probably get a zero for the works cited portion of your paper (since it is late), but that depends on your prof.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Whisyme Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 2,455, Level: 7 Points: 2,455, Level: 7 Points: 2,455, Level: 7

Re: Will I get kicked out of college?? - October 23rd 2018, 11:41 AM

Hey. I hope everything went well for you. As from my experience that is not that big a deal IF you try to fix this right away. Emailing the teacher would be a perfect solution, I'm sure she can help you, she's a teacher, not a supervisor. Everyone can screw up, even grown-ups. Next time I suggest you use maybe additional check help, this might be your friend, parent or special service, something like [Edited] just to check if you mentioned everything if the structure of your paper is right etc. Please let me know how everything went for you. I'm hoping that you are not stressing out about this anymore.

Last edited by Celyn; October 23rd 2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Please don't post advertising links
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: Will I get kicked out of college?? - October 24th 2018, 05:05 AM

Accidents happen, and that's what this was. The best thing you can do is email your prof explaining the situation and attach the page as proof that you did in fact do one. I seriously doubt you'll get kicked out for this. The absolute worst case scenario would either be a zero for the paper if she's super strict, or significant points off since the page is late. As long as you make it obvious to her that you didn't plagiarize on purpose, and she already has proof from your last paper that you know how to do things correctly, it should be fine.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Badeeshavav Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 2,388, Level: 7 Points: 2,388, Level: 7 Points: 2,388, Level: 7

Re: Will I get kicked out of college?? - November 10th 2018, 10:48 AM

I hope everything will be fine with you, not like mine)
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9

Re: Will I get kicked out of college?? - November 11th 2018, 02:29 AM

Honestly, there's a huge difference between what you did (you cited it, just forgot the page numbers) and not citing something at all. You're prof sounds like they're totally blowing shit out of proportion. Page numbers are important, but realistically, it's not the most important part; the most important part is that you acknowledge where you got the idea, information, or quote from, and if you technically cited that (sans page number), you just cited it poorly, you didn't plagarize. If it comes up, you'd have a strong case to have it dismissed and not an issue.
Closed Thread