TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Silverxy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tori

Picking Classes - May 29th 2009, 02:06 AM

So for our class registration, our parents have to be there to help us decide. Most kids get the classes they want, but although she let me have one elective for next year, my mom is already trying to force me into a huge workload that I won't be able to handle for my Junior year in two years. I know it seems kind of weird to be worrying about it a year in advance, but she's now attempting to talk me out of my one elective for next year, even though I'm taking two AP courses and three honors classes. I've tried talking to my parents about it, and my dad at least is on my side, but my mom isn't budging and it's really frustrating me. Any ideas?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Picking Classes - May 29th 2009, 02:16 AM

Do you meet the prerequisites? Use that as an excuse maybe...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Picking Classes - May 29th 2009, 05:56 AM

It's your decision in the end as you're the one doing the courses, not them. Your mother may be wanting to prepare you for university workloads or perhaps she took hefty workloads or thinks you can handle it. Tell her that you don't feel you can handle the courses and perhaps try to get your father to chime in on your side. Or, you can simply play the card of doing exactly what she's doing back to her, and not budging either.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Picking Classes - May 29th 2009, 06:07 AM

When you say your parents have to be there to help you decide, does that mean that when you're registering for courses, they have to agree to you signing up for those courses, or just that they need to be part of the decision making process? If it's the latter, you could simply just say screw it and take the courses you want - it might cause conflict in your family, but you won't be overwhelmed in school. But if it's the case of you not being able to register a course unless your mom allows it, that's a bit trickier.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Picking Classes - May 29th 2009, 10:21 AM

it's your decision, your mum can't force you to take subjects that you don't want to do. my mum didn't want me to take drama or, business or graphic design but i took all three because i wanted to, and i did well in them, because i enjoyed them. the only subject i dropped out of was a subject my mum forced me into doing, so really, you should go with what you want to do and not what your parents choose for you. you always do better in subjects that you enjoy and want to take.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Picking Classes - May 30th 2009, 04:50 PM

Hey Tori. =]

Honestly, even if your mom doesn't listen at first, just tell her that you don't think you'll be able to handle the work load she wants you to take on. I can see where your mom is coming from, she's thinking ahead and wanting the best for you, but I don't think she realizes that just taking loads of classes doesn't really look good. You need to do well in the classes you're taking. And if you stress yourself out too much, you probably won't do well in anything. Whereas if you take what you can handle, and work hard, then you'll do so much better and you'll also be so much happier.

Your mom cannot force you to take anything, if she tries to, you can always go to the principal/guidance counselor and get it sorted out, clearly and MATURELY stating that you can't do this. Schools will understand, and your mom should too, that it's quality over quantity.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Silverxy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tori

Re: Picking Classes - May 30th 2009, 11:05 PM

Thanks guys for your advice. I tried talking to her, and now her excuse is that they will lover my GPA because they aren't honors classes.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
RoseOfDawn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Picking Classes - May 31st 2009, 11:54 AM

Hii.
Basically, you need to sit down with your mum and have a serious adult conversation with her. Tell her why you don't want to take on the workload she wants you to and tell her how you don't think you'll be able to cope with it. If your dad is supporting you, then I guess he could help you persuade your mum as well. But at the end of the day, if she doesn't budge then theres not much you can do to make her. But she doesn't have to be the person who makes you pick it. Choose what you want to choose, and try not to let her influence your decisions too much, especially if you don't want what she does, or you're unsure.
Hope it works out.
Hope I helped.

X

(#9 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe

Name: olivia

Re: Picking Classes - May 31st 2009, 12:01 PM

Hi Tori :] The most important thing in this situation is to really do what's best for you. If you don't buy into the program, then your GPA will surely plummet.
I suggest writing a letter to your mom...maybe that can help you organize your thoughts better?
Also, you can really get informed on the honors/AP curriculum as compared to the regular curriculum at your school. What's different...what's the same?
Best of luck dear. xx

Live and let live.

Closed Thread