TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Memorizing lots of numbers. - January 19th 2019, 07:11 PM

I'm currently taking a class that trains future healh inspectors.
For part of it, I have to remember the proper times and temperatures for things like heating and cooling.
Give me names of foodborne illness pathogens? I'm good with that. But number things like time and temp? Oh god, I'm bad with numbers.

How do you suggest I memorize these?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Memorizing lots of numbers. - January 19th 2019, 09:51 PM

Maybe make a chart? Print pictures of the things and put the times and temperatures next to them and then put it up somewhere that you'll see it a lot, so you can associate visual cues with the numbers that don't make sense otherwise.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Recommencer Offline
Articles Writer
Average Joe

Name: Kylie

Re: Memorizing lots of numbers. - January 19th 2019, 11:26 PM

Hmm.

How do you usually like to study? I'm very auditory, so saying things aloud tends to help me. If you're more visually-oriented, a chart like Kate suggested could be a great idea! My visual memory is abysmal so I usually stick to things like repetition and mneumonics (don't know how well that works with numbers). Even writing a silly song to help you remember them could work. I use all kinds of different techniques to memorize stuff for school.

Going with a more visual technique, you could also color-code them to differentiate them from one another and help you remember them better.

Ironically, I have dyscalculia, but I can actually memorize numbers well, especially strings of the numbers. I have my current license plate, my former license plate, and multiple family member's license plates memorized. So apparently I can do that - I'm just lousy at calculating them. Who knows? It's weird.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Memorizing lots of numbers. - January 19th 2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
How do you usually like to study?

I guess it would be considered auditory, but what I normally do to remember terms is sit down with someone like my mom and have her question me on it. So I'm saying it out loud but also talking it out with another person.

Your memorization skill is awesome too! I remember the last three of my parents' license plates, but not the first.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Memorizing lots of numbers. - January 20th 2019, 02:53 PM

Perhaps you can record yourself saying the temperatures and then after listening to it back a few times, try pausing it and guessing the answer? Or do flashcards with say the food on one side and the times and temperatures on the other?

I like the chart idea as well. For me, I'm really boring so I would just take one item at a time, and write it out over and over again until it sticks in my mind and then move onto the next one. Although I admit it can sometimes get confusing

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Recommencer Offline
Articles Writer
Average Joe

Name: Kylie

Re: Memorizing lots of numbers. - January 20th 2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
Perhaps you can record yourself saying the temperatures and then after listening to it back a few times, try pausing it and guessing the answer?
This is a really fantastic idea! I didn't think of using this method for numbers, but it could totally work. I've done this before, but only with French presentations. (It helps me memorize what I'm saying as well as identify issues with my pronunciation.) I'm totally going to start using this in other subjects too! It was extremely effective for French.

Last edited by Recommencer; January 20th 2019 at 08:42 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Quli Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Memorizing lots of numbers. - January 22nd 2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recommencer View Post

This is a really fantastic idea! I didn't think of using this method for numbers, but it could totally work. I've done this before, but only with French presentations. (It helps me memorize what I'm saying as well as identify issues with my pronunciation.) I'm totally going to start using this in other subjects too! It was extremely effective for French.
Absolutely agree

(#8 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Memorizing lots of numbers. - February 5th 2019, 11:47 PM

I am a little late to the party but I wanted to post anyway. I am memorizing a lot of numbers and other weird, kind of unnatural stuff to memorize for Chemistry.

For me it helps to make flashcards and flip through them. I had to memorize some metric conversions and I used mnemonics for that too. If you like auditory studying you could try to make a song to remember and then you can sing it to yourself. Do you ever use Quizlet? One of my instructors used it last semester and I really enjoyed using it.

You can write it out over and over again to get it into your head and even if someone isn't around you can say it out loud to yourself. If you do sit down with your mom some more you can also act as if you're teaching it to her so you can say it out loud. They used to assign us each a chapter and have us teach/lecture to the class on it. I don't miss that.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread