TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Effy2018 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Michaela

Online courses? - March 19th 2019, 02:10 PM

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have done any free online courses? I have just applied for my first one and I'm really nervous. Did any of you feel this way? Were you scared you were going to fail? I'm terrified in case I do fail but all I can do is try my best.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Online courses? - March 19th 2019, 02:25 PM

I've done loads of online courses. I have done several through Coursera and EdX. Usually I pay to upgrade so I can get a verified certificate. It's pretty cool.

I used to worry about failing a lot because I had a lot of academic troubles when I started university, but I don't worry as much as I used to. For me, it's just a matter of repetition, I take a lot of courses and gradually see that the chances of failure aren't that high, then I get more confident seeing that I'll do well.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Saudade. Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Online courses? - March 19th 2019, 06:13 PM

There are no such thing as a free course. All courses, if they are going to count as valid credits that will lead you to a valid degree, come with a certain amount and fees that you have to pay. Even the ones you take online.

I would also like to point out an online course, whether or not they give credits counting towards a degree, is not for everyone. It can be challenging, especially if there is not a human to reach out to when there are technical errors or having tutoring sessions with a group in-person. There's always something that can go wrong with online courses.

However, online courses can be convienent for some people, due to certian circumstances in their life. I know you have a young child and are significantly older than those that would be found in an ordinary university classroom. I applaud you for making this choice, and I wish you nothing but the best.

As for failing, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Especially if it doesn't provide credits at the end of the class that goes towards a degree. It sounds like you're just doing this for fun and that's what it should be: fun! It's not like you're wasting any money if you do fail.

But either way, I hope you enjoy yourself and do what you can do.

[I realize this sounds incredibly discouraging, and I apologize if it does!]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Online courses? - March 20th 2019, 01:06 AM

I completed high school online and I have taken a lot of online college courses. Three of my four courses this semester are online actually. I did have difficulty with my math and science online in high school but it was manageable. I took a hybrid (online and in person) Statistics course last summer also.

I really enjoy them because of how flexible they are with my schedule and some of the professors let you work ahead which is good because I finished classes pretty early sometimes.

A lot of professors do allow you (if you're local) to meet with them for in person help and if you don't or can't meet with them, they tend to post a lot of helpful resources. I have never failed an online class and I don't think you will either. Just be sure to take advantage of any help or extra resources that are offered as well as the other course materials.

Online classes require more time than a traditional course. There is typically more reading, writing and working on your own but if you are determined and you have good self-discipline then you will be fine!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Effy2018 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Michaela

Re: Online courses? - March 20th 2019, 10:21 AM

I passed my first online course doing Customer Service Only thing I have to pay for is the certificate and my local council may be able to help me out with that as I have a letter of proof that I have passed the course. I am over the moon. It was pretty simple, only had to answer 4 questions, they were quite difficult but I got 80% which is very good apparently. I am so happy about this, I really thought I was going to fail but I passed straightaway. I am now going to be doing a Business Management one and a Travel & Tourism course to add to my CV

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Saudade. Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Online courses? - March 20th 2019, 02:30 PM

How did you get the certification? Did you have to meet with an official through the organization? I took online courses (they cost US$90 though) but never got credits for them. I got a print out, but I do wonder what the process is for getting transcripts.

Good luck! I want to study Sociology and Psychology, but I am too old to go back to school and there are aspects of online courses that just wouldn't work for me well.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Online courses? - March 20th 2019, 05:32 PM

I think many people worry about failing their courses. But as it's been said above, you should be able to get help from your tutors.

I'm really glad to hear that you passed your Customer Service course though and it's great that you plan on doing more. All the best!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Online courses? - March 21st 2019, 09:24 AM

I've done a few online courses and am still doing three () at the moment. My Certificate in Fitness, my Diploma in Hospitality Management and my Degree in Education (Early Childhood and Primary). I wish to do Physiotherapy as well.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeborahBAguirre Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Online courses? - April 19th 2019, 01:33 PM

Even I am looking for some online courses.

Closed Thread