TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jenna

Help! - April 24th 2019, 09:01 PM

I don't know what to do for my career choice! I want to make a lot of money and have a job that people take seriously. I want to be a lawyer, but so does my friend and I don't want people to say I'm just copying her. I want to be a designer, but in order to make a lot of money I have to be REALLY good. I can't be a doctor, I don't want to be responsible for someone's death, and all the non-death doctors have lower salaries than surgeons and stuff. Also, female doctors make 40% less than male doctors. That's really sexist, but there's nothing I can do about it, and it means I won't get a good salary. Also, my grades are quite bad. Some girls even gossip that I'm dumb and I only get A's on tests because the teachers like me.
Math: A-
Social Studies: A-
English: A-
Science: A-
PE: B-
Art: A+
Music: A
As you can see, my grades are ONLY good in Art and Music, which nobody takes seriously. All of my friends are like "We take you seriously!" but they're my F-R-I-E-N-D-S.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Help! - April 25th 2019, 01:20 AM

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Jenna, you've really got to slow down here. I admire your ambition and drive.

First of all, you are just eleven years old! I am not sure where you live, but you have five years (UK) and seven years (US) before you even have to consider post secondary options. Don't worry about something you won't be doing for another decade and some more years.

Right now, focus on your hobbies. Do what you love to do and work your strengths there. If you love theater, then look into some auditions taking place at your school or in the community. If you don't want to get on stage but still want some involvement, then maybe volunteer with the costumes/dressing or construction or set design. If you love singing, then maybe start a band with your classmates (it doesn't have to be a worldwide hit band!) or perhaps set up your own Youtube channel with parental assistance. Or, you can begin by writing lyrics but not utilizing your voice! I've seen some of the things you've written in Self-Expression, you've got talent. Or you can take your creative writing talents and write a story. That doesn't have to be a best-seller either.

Second of all, as I look at your grades... Whoa! Your "worst" (and a B- is not bad at all!) is PE. Who doesn't do "well" at PE? It's a pain in the butt as well as other limbs. I never did well at PE and had the nice privlege of doing other work in place of that due to physical limitations. The point is, don't worry about getting a "bad" grade in PE! As for the other grades... I am amazed, near the end of the year (assuming you're in the Northern Hemisphere, August/September - May/June school year) and you are STILL managing A's! I could only go one semester before all my grades dropped to B's and C's! This was in high school, I probably did better in middle school.

As for your friends, you know... eleven is a rough age. No offense, but I had a rough time in school when I was that age. Kids knew better but they didn't know better, if that makes sense. They were old enough to be buttheads, but nobody believed they were being buttheads; if that makes sense. Point is, you shouldn't take what your peers say to heart. You got nearly straight A's for crying out loud! They're just jealous they don't have your brain and talent.

Best of luck. Feel free to reach out again if you have to.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jenna

Re: Help! - April 25th 2019, 08:27 AM

Aww, thanks! Yeah, I guess my grades aren't bad, but there was this one girl in my class who kept bragging, "Oh, I got all A+'s on my report card, and a B in PE" which kind of made me feel bad. Your comment is really sweet though, and I will try those tips!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Help! - April 28th 2019, 02:25 PM

I agree with the above. You're grades are far from bad and you have plenty of time to think about what you want to do with your life (and remember, it's okay to change your mind along the way!) I also agree with thinking about the things that you enjoy doing and perhaps looking into volunteering to get a better idea of the type of work that you might be interested in.

As for the girl in your class, you can ignore her bragging. While she did have good grades and will get praised for that, there is no need for her to brag. Focus on your own grades, how you are doing well, how you have improved etc. and try not to compare yourself. You are doing well just as you are

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread