TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unbreakable

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

How to say no. - November 8th 2019, 08:33 PM

So I go in every single time my employer needs someone to go in, even if I don't want to. How do I say no? I mean, I can say no, but I feel bad not going in, especially if I'm able to, but going in so frequently on my days off?

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Butterfly. Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: How to say no. - November 8th 2019, 09:07 PM

I think you have to ask yourself why you'd feel bad if you said no. Is it that you're worried about getting into trouble and putting your job at jeopardy and risk being fired? Maybe this is something you can speak to your boss about. I'm sure they'd understand your concerns, but would also reassure you that you are not at risk of losing your job if you didn't go in when you were supposed to have time off.

As a matter of fact, I get in trouble for working when I'm not supposed to. So you're lucky!

HelpLINK Mentor Articles Writer

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Unbreakable

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: How to say no. - November 8th 2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly. View Post
I think you have to ask yourself why you'd feel bad if you said no. Is it that you're worried about getting into trouble and putting your job at jeopardy and risk being fired? Maybe this is something you can speak to your boss about. I'm sure they'd understand your concerns, but would also reassure you that you are not at risk of losing your job if you didn't go in when you were supposed to have time off.

As a matter of fact, I get in trouble for working when I'm not supposed to. So you're lucky!
You may be right actually, Jenna. I have a really bad reputation with previous jobs because I never went in when I was supposed to work :/ Bad Court, yes, I know I've also been let down by previous jobs. For instance when I worked at that dollar store, my first month they told me I was doing fantastic, and the next they tell me that my performance was poor. So I have a lot of trust issues. I think it's because I feel that if I don't go in, they will think less of me and everything will go downhill.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: How to say no. - November 10th 2019, 01:48 AM

Hi there!

I'm the same! I feel bad for saying no when my manager asks if I can swap shifts or for me to come in. But then I realise that at the end of the day, they can't fire me for saying no once in a while when I need a break. You have to put yourself first and if you don't feel like going on, then that's OK. I would suggest talking to your manager as well about it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Butterfly. Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: How to say no. - November 10th 2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilient Pumpkin View Post

You may be right actually, Jenna. I have a really bad reputation with previous jobs because I never went in when I was supposed to work :/ Bad Court, yes, I know I've also been let down by previous jobs. For instance when I worked at that dollar store, my first month they told me I was doing fantastic, and the next they tell me that my performance was poor. So I have a lot of trust issues. I think it's because I feel that if I don't go in, they will think less of me and everything will go downhill.
Being treated poorly by previous employers can definitely cause you to have trust issues, and in turn it makes you worry about asking for time off.

I would seriously talk to them about it, and it seems like you are committed to your job these days; so they will see how you've performed over the past five months and give you the time off you've accumulated in that period or a part of it.

HelpLINK Mentor Articles Writer