TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Back to school... (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t159658-back-school/)

Resilient January 3rd 2020 04:12 AM

Back to school...

So I've been working on getting enrolled at Capella to get an online bachelor's degree in pre counseling. I hope to get a masters in clinical therapy eventually. For those who have went down the masters road, was it worth it? Also, how about that bachelors? I already have a job in the mental health field, so that's a start, right? I was able to transfer 108 credit hours to this program from my old associates degree, so I'm one step ahead!

DeletedAccount69 January 3rd 2020 04:27 AM

Re: Back to school...

I would look into what the best masters program is. I know a few people who got a degree in clinical counseling and struggled to find jobs.

A lot of people at my job have MFT but those degrees aren't national so a lot of the time to get it transferred to another state you have to take more courses or do extra internships.

Some of the MFT's at my job have encouraged me to go the MSW route. It's recognized nationally and there are a lot better job prospects.

I'd honestly say just research. I haven't decided on a program yet but I'm leaning more toward MSW since I might be moving out of state.

Celyn January 8th 2020 08:37 PM

I'm not familiar with your education system so I can't really provide much help with that, although I do agree with researching to see what are your best options.

Also, be sure to look after yourself when you are working and studying. I've only ever studied and have always been in awe at those who work at the same time, but I also know it can be quite tiring, so make sure you get some time for yourself too.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on :)

Kate* January 8th 2020 11:11 PM

If you want to do clinical anything, you'll need a masters. Any related bachelors will probably work, the important thing about grad school is the credential you end up with.

Counseling is not a national license, so every state is different, and if you ever move, you'll have to change your license over. And it's also a very narrow field. You are qualified to do counseling and nothing else (which is why I ran into trouble).

Social work is a national license and the field is much broader. So, if like me, you go for counseling and realize it doesn't work for some reason, you can do something else with the same degree and your education isn't wasted.

Look at the kinds of jobs you want to get and see which credentials they require.

Mirabye May 29th 2020 01:28 AM

It really increases your chances of continuing studies, but why don't you want to choose graduate school? This is what will open up more professional opportunities for you. I know that it’s quite difficult to enter graduate school and if you are worried about your grades, then you can better prepare for entering this school and find out what extracurricular activities will increase your chances of entering. I know that sometimes the graduate essay and strong statement of purpose can help you go to university, although your chances of success were small at first. I did that for graduate school. It was the college of my dreams, but my GPA wasn't high, so I decided to make all my best with everything that would help me enter this university for graduate school. I don't write too well, but I was so motivated that I wrote not the worst graduate essay. True, then I turned to the proof reading service edited, so that they make my text more understandable and help me structure my essay well, so as a result, this teamwork became the best essay that I wrote in my life. Now I'm finishing graduate school and getting ready to write articles in one of the journals in my specialization. I also already have a job offer. I know what I want to do in my life further and I know how I will build career in this.

Yggri June 20th 2020 04:14 PM

I absolutely agree with you.

MClaren July 29th 2020 09:35 AM

Bachelor worth it when you want to move further. Do you want to earn more money or work in education? This is a good option.