TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Covid: Five ways to be better at online uni - December 4th 2020, 04:11 AM

During our 'Covid' times, I was wondering how better I could work online from home since I chose University Online (for want of a better word), until reading this great article from BBC News that can make learning from home a lot easier.

Covid: Five ways to be better at online uni

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55100898
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42

Re: Covid: Five ways to be better at online uni - December 4th 2020, 09:16 AM

Thank you for sharing!

It certainly helped.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Covid: Five ways to be better at online uni - December 6th 2020, 12:15 PM

I really agree with these tips.

I had to do my Masters dissertation at home and I struggled with concentrating. Normally, I'd go to the library and get on with work there but I couldn't because of the lockdown. So I tried to do work in different places in the house and when I got distracted, I went back to good ol' pen and paper

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Covid: Five ways to be better at online uni - December 6th 2020, 06:18 PM

Despite no longer being at university, I can definitely say that finding out your learning style is 100% important. I don't learn through audio or reading massive walls of text. I learn through pictures and lists. I like a lot of examples and analogies as it helps with my dyslexia.

Trying to learn online, when I was required to, was really difficult because naturally it's almost always reading. A good way of managing it is to pace yourself and learn in bursts. When studying psychology, it was found that studying in maximum of 40-minute bursts with a 15-20 minute break in between was actually far more beneficial to students rather than trying to cram for hours. Attention span may not always go down, but the ability for the mind to process the information presented does. I tend to revise and work in short bursts of 15-20 minutes. I have a terrible attention span and with my dyspraxia, often get distracted by slight noises and smells. From this, it was important to try and control my environment as much as possible.

Studying in one's room doesn't always help either as there's too many 'homely' distractions around and it tends to be the place where we like to relax and wind down. Motivation is harder when working from the comfort of your own room rather than in an educational setting such as a library.
Closed Thread