TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Law. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t162025-law/)

Dawn. August 24th 2021 10:09 AM

Law.

Does anyone study their law degree, have completed one and/or work in the law field? I am looking at studying my law degree and working in that field but I don't know if it will be worth it for me because it's a 5 year degree and I'm in my late 20's. :nosweat: Any advice and tips would be appreciated.

Ennui. August 24th 2021 03:14 PM

Re: Law.

My friend is studying for her law degree! I will say that she does find it very tough, but she keeps going. Personally, it doesn't matter if you're getting your degree at 28 or 48, if it's something you're passionate about go for it.

DeletedAccount81 August 24th 2021 03:33 PM

My great uncle went to law school after he returned from serving in Korea. He was already in his 30s by then, so never too late! I think it's important to ask your self if this is what you want and then go for it.

Rivière August 24th 2021 11:02 PM

I have a friend who studied law for 4 years. By the time she got into a law job, she was in her mid-20's. I don't think it matters how old you are so long as you're keen to learn and have a genuine interest in that field of work.

I don't know how it is in your country, but here, it definitely helped my friend get her job. However, she still has to start at the bottom as an assistant/paralegal because she has yet to gain practical experience rather than educational experience and this still takes time to gain.

Overall, if you feel it's definitely something you're interested in, and are interested in a specific aspect of law, I don't think it should matter how old you are so long as you're enjoying what you're studying. :)

Dawn. August 25th 2021 09:22 AM

Thank you all for your replies. :)

It's hard trying to get my foot in the door but I'm trying! I would have to start as a paralegal and work my way up.

Stacey August 25th 2021 09:03 PM

I'm not going into law but I'm going back for my Master's starting in January after being out of school for almost 10 years - I'm 30, I'll be 31 a month after starting my master's. I'm going to be a psychotherapist so 2.5 years of school plus thousands of hours of supervision before I'm fully registered and on my own in practice, so I'm looking at likely my mid-30s to be where I want to be. I felt similar to you when I was thinking about applying, but I knew that this is something I've always been passionate about and would kick myself later in life if I didn't try to achieve that goal. I don't think it's ever too late, really.

Dawn. August 26th 2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacey (Post 1370627)
I'm not going into law but I'm going back for my Master's starting in January after being out of school for almost 10 years - I'm 30, I'll be 31 a month after starting my master's. I'm going to be a psychotherapist so 2.5 years of school plus thousands of hours of supervision before I'm fully registered and on my own in practice, so I'm looking at likely my mid-30s to be where I want to be. I felt similar to you when I was thinking about applying, but I knew that this is something I've always been passionate about and would kick myself later in life if I didn't try to achieve that goal. I don't think it's ever too late, really.

Thank you! I guess I just need that push to do it.