TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kristinaaaa Offline
Kristina
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kristina

Overload? - June 2nd 2009, 11:50 PM

I have been told many times that I'm a perfectionist.
I disagree, whole heartedly.

But, school is ending in 8 days for me.
I'm a freshman, and will be a sophomore next year.
Grades and my future are eating up my thoughts almost non stop.
I swear 80% of the time it's the only thing that matters to me.
I feel like I need to slow down and just get rid of stress but I can't.
Is it bad to feel the need to work so hard all of the time?
I take all honors classes, and we have 9 periods a day.
Four honors, one language, and a bunch of other electives.
I just don't want to do it anymore.
I don't want to lose the effort or will to care about school.
I'm so afraid I won't get anywhere and I won't live I'll just be poor and stupid if I don't try now..?
It seems like overreacting I guess but it's honestly how I feel.
Like the smallest things I do, I act like they're going to change my life. The three point french homework. The 10 point english essential questions.
It's just too much!

"What I want is to be needed. What I need is to be indispensable to somebody. Who I need is somebody that will eat up all my free time, my ego, my attention. Somebody addicted to me. A mutual addiction."

Send a message via AIM to Kristinaaaa  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Overload? - June 3rd 2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinaaaa View Post

I'm so afraid I won't get anywhere and I won't live I'll just be poor and stupid if I don't try now..?
Like the smallest things I do, I act like they're going to change my life. The three point french homework. The 10 point english essential questions.
It's just too much!
First of all, you are only a freshmen. You still have three more years of high school left, so try not to stress yourself out too much. You seem like a really well-rounded person, so I would suggest that you try and take a breather. My best advice to you is try to get yourself organized and just continue to try your best. Since you are a freshmen, you don't really need to think about college right now. There is nothing wrong with looking into the future, but try not to think too much of it and realize that you still have three years of high school left. Please, please try to make those three years your best years, both academically, socially, and importantly, allow those years to help you grow.

I will be a high school senior this fall, so my stress has heightened ever since the first day of junior year. I am not only worried about grades, but also ACTs and applying to colleges this fall. I have no idea where I will be a year from now. Despite this, I continue to remind myself that I can only control what is happening now. Like you, I tend to focus a lot on the future, but I cannot focus on the future until I complete the present. I just have to keep trying no matter and honestly, that is the only thing you can do.

Lastly, is there any hobbies you like? If so, you should take out an hour or two of your day, and do the things you love because it will keep you grounded.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Overload? - June 3rd 2009, 02:12 AM

The most important thing to remember in your post is that it's 8 days 'til summer. Of course you are sick of school! Everyone is!

But if you feel like there is too much focus on school, I suggest doing something very relaxing, like listening to music or yoga with a friend.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kristinaaaa Offline
Kristina
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Overload? - June 3rd 2009, 10:26 PM

You guys both have wonderful advice.
Yoga sounds super good (:

And you being a senior definitely puts things into perspective.
I'll keep trying to remind myself that, for sure.

Thank you!

"What I want is to be needed. What I need is to be indispensable to somebody. Who I need is somebody that will eat up all my free time, my ego, my attention. Somebody addicted to me. A mutual addiction."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Overload? - June 4th 2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
You guys both have wonderful advice.
Yoga sounds super good (:

And you being a senior definitely puts things into perspective.
I'll keep trying to remind myself that, for sure.

Thank you!
At the end of the day, try not to stress yourself out too much. High school is a stressful enviornment for anyone. Continue to try your best and you will reach your goal.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kristinaaaa Offline
Kristina
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Overload? - June 5th 2009, 08:27 PM

Thank you for the support!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Overload? - June 6th 2009, 05:43 AM

Relax for now and throughout high school, university/college and work. Studies have shown people tend to do worse when stressed, so simply relax, entertain yourself with whatever, etc... . As someone soon to be in 3rd year university, I can tell you 1st year university is very likely to make grade 12 seem like a joke. Relax now, relax later. If you study and know your stuff, you've won 1/2 the battle already. The other half is getting calm, then you enter at 100% instead of 50%.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
o0lostlove0o Offline
Trapped in a Fairy Tale.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lee - Suh.

Re: Overload? - June 6th 2009, 08:45 AM

Wow, I think this is late, but I feel like offering what I have to say, anyways.

To be honest, you sound a lot like me. I just finished freshman year about 2 weeks ago, and actually, I somehow made it. The way you describe yourself now is how I felt in middle school. Always doing work, school, extra credit, anything you can get your hands on, regardless of whether you need it or not.

Freshman year really tried me in so many ways, I can't say them all. But one thing was for sure: I learned that not everything is about school. As much as we have drives to do our best and keep it our priorities, there are other things, like having fun, expressing yourself, and just letting loose. Those are things that I did in freshman year, and I was...well, to be honest, stressed. But it was an experience I loved and savored.

Think about this, okay? What's the purpose of school? To prepare us for life, right? The way I see it now is ... I think, taking on the challenges of being in Honors, AP, Language classes (been there, doing that. Probably going to end up in all Honors/AP next year, as well as French II.) on top of doing all of the work we already have to do, plus projects - - all of this is to help us learn how to balance our life. We have our academics, social, spiritual, moral, physical, aesthetic. That's all just to help us. Even if it seems like the world will fall on you.

Best advice? Take a breather. Just relax, even for a little bit. You never know when you'll need it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe

Name: olivia

Re: Overload? - June 8th 2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:

It's just too much!

Breatheeeee.
I don't know if this will make sense to you, but once I learned about fallacies, it really made sense to me. Ever heard of the Slippery Slope Fallacy? In debate or rhetoric, a slippery slope is a classical informal fallacy. A slippery slope argument states that a relatively small first step inevitably leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant impact.

You're saying that if you don't do well freshman year of highschool you will forever end up poor, dismal, and dejected? This simply just doesn't make sense, dear! Now that you're aware of the fallacy, perhaps you spot out this fallacious thinking and correct it accordingly. That's what I have to do..

I am also a perfectionstic, and to be honest, it's very exhausting.

However, you can restructure your thinking to use perfectionism so that it is no longer self-destructive. Perfectionism as a personality trait can be used for high-achieving, though it is a very precarious balance. If you'd like to read more on perfectionism and how to better achieve this balance, read this article: What flavor of perfectionist are you? It matters! | Psychology Today Blogs

5 words, now that you know the slippery slope fallacy and can hopefully sleep better at night: Don't sweat the small stuff.

Feel free to drop a VM or a PM dear, and best of luck!

Live and let live.

Last edited by <:3 )~; June 8th 2009 at 03:36 PM.

Closed Thread