TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Job search+ Mental health - January 30th 2022, 07:41 AM

There has been serious drama at work lately. Basically, our new GM took over after the old one left and she seems to have it out for me. My last performance review was, according to a manager who knows me and my work "Complete bullshit," They hired a new person and gave them more hours and priority of shifts despite my 4+ years of seniority, while I was on vacation and jury duty (which they demanded 3+weeks notice for), didn't tell me, and then gave me an attitude and tried to flip blame when I confronted her, and claimed it wasn't personal. My hours were suddenly cut in half and I was supposed to not notice?! Then, I find out that this new person is a different manager's sister. And I've gone from almost 30 hours a week down to 10, and eventually it will be 5 a WEEK (supposed to be at least 20). So, long story short, I'm job searching because I'm never putting up with being treated like this again, and the only reason I'm still there is because I want to line up something before I quit.

Why does no one talk about the toll job hunting takes on their mental health?! The harder I try to look for jobs, the faster I spiral, cancel, or completely blow off interviews. But, I'm obviously no longer wanted at my current job, and I have a feeling the only reason I'm still employed is because they can't justify firing me. The change is scary, the change in routine is enough to stress me out, throw in an invisible disability along with anxiety and depression and it's just ugh. I'm limited in radius, I'm limited in capability both physically and neurologically, I know I have poor social skills going into an interview, etc. So much is stacked against me, I'm lucky to even get contacted only to find out the pay is super low or the company has skeletons in it's closet.

This was slightly less urgent a few weeks ago when I thought my hours were coming back up since this is usually the slowest time of year and it rebounds, but the schedule that just came out has me down for ONE SHIFT so I have to get out!

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Job search+ Mental health - January 30th 2022, 02:57 PM

I'm beyond disgusted reading how your new manager has treated you and I'm really sorry you have to go through that. At the very least, it's good that you realise that your manager's treatment of you doesn't reflect you or how hard you work at your job either and is just a reflection of them. You are right that you shouldn't put up with being treated like that and it's good that you are being proactive about job searching (though, really, it's the manager that needs to go!)

Job hunting at any time is stressful. But more so when you are being bullied and discriminated at work, and even more when you already struggle with mental health, disabilities and other limitations. It can get really disheartening. Are you able to check out reviews of companies such as on indeed or glassdoor? That might help you with being able to determine whether the company would be a good fit for you or not. I've also heard that self-employment can be a good alternative, which might be worth looking into if you feel it could be good for you. Or freelance/remote working...I've seen a few office jobs or even online customer service jobs that are work from home, with the possibility of offering flexible working in the future (mixture of office and work from home, despite the pandemic).

It's also really important to look after yourself during this time. I know for me, though I'm not in your situation, I find it difficult to relax and feel that I have to be doing something productive and always looking for jobs etc. But it's important to keep doing things that you enjoy to help avoid burn out and further depression.

Really hope you can get away from your manager and into a better job soon

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: Job search+ Mental health - January 30th 2022, 09:38 PM

Thank You! Everyone I've talked to sees that it's wrong except her who "doesn't have to tell me anything!" I take comfort that she's obviously the problem, and it's her and not the company. Headquarters take data for certain things and we have quotas. We've gone from the best preforming store in the region, to one of, if not the worst in the 6 months since she took over and people are obviously leaving in droves. I'd LOVE to see her tossed out, or at least get some serious karma, especially since they have to see what's happened. But if it happened at all, it probably wouldn't change anything for me, and it would take longer than I'm willing to wait. I have financial obligations, not to mention self-respect. I just scheduled an interview for tomorrow and at this point, I'll take a reasonable pay cut because it should balance out with more hours.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: Job search+ Mental health - January 31st 2022, 08:00 AM

I'm angry for you with how your manager is treating you! Job searching can definitely be stressful and is something that I can emphasis with due to being in a similar situation. I really hope you get out of there soon and find something better.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Job search+ Mental health - January 31st 2022, 03:50 PM

Unfortunately, the kind of people you have described tend either to not see their problem or not want to acknowledge how their behaviour harms those around them. But as you say, it's all there in the data. And it's very common for people to get fed up of being treated like that and leave, so the data will also suggest a higher staff turnover as well.

I, too, also hope that the manager will get karma. I do believe that in a general sense, people can't go through the entirety of their lives getting away with treating others poorly. One day they will pick on the wrong person, or maybe loyal supporters realise who they really are, or they are so used to behaving like that it becomes clear on the outside.

But yeah, it's not worth you staying and suffering in the hopes of seeing karma come to your manager.

Hope the interview went well!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
Closed Thread