TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

What was your first job? - May 13th 2022, 02:48 AM

What was your first job? How old were you when you got it? Did you enjoy the work? Did you learn anything from being there?

My first job was working as an office assistant, it was a placement through my high school's elective program. I was eighteen when I began and I left that job when I was 21. I enjoyed it because it was a nice little escape from my peers, even if just for a few hours at a time. I learnt that I really love working in a small environment. It feels much more intimate, and you get to chit-chat while doing your work; it passes time quickly and you kind of make a work-friend.

Feel free to share your story!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26

Re: What was your first job? - May 13th 2022, 05:01 AM

I didn't start working until graduate school didn't work out, so don't judge me for being 27.

Technically, it was a 3 week temporary job helping to open a new retail store. Other than that, my first job is my current one which is working in the clothing department of a wholesale store. Started at 29, now 34, and will be there 5 years in August, if I don't leave before then. I basically fold clothes all day, put away returns, change signs over from expiring coupons, help people find things etc. The job itself isn't bad, but the new manager has it out for me and most of the people I started with have left since she took over a year ago.

I have figured out that even with mild sensory processing disorder, sensory overload is absolutely possible. I'm used to the environment now (louder than it needs to be and EVERYTHING echoes), but between that and the people everywhere, in your way, and on top of you while you're trying to do things I have hit my limit and it's not fun. So now, I'm much more aware of the places when I interview. If it's huge and easy to get lost in, crowded, claustrophobic or insanely loud, i think twice.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Re: What was your first job? - May 13th 2022, 08:44 AM

I was 18 when I got my first job as a bistro employee. I made hot-dogs, chips and other fast foods and served the customers. It was hard work with 12-hour shifts in a loud, hot environment, so I changed after some time. I'm still working in gastronomy though.

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16

Re: What was your first job? - May 13th 2022, 12:52 PM

Worked at a popular pharmacy chain as a Service Clerk. I did that from 2008-2012, so during a bit of high school and some after. I stocked shelves, cashiered, answered phone, and typical retail stuff. Took a long break from working till 2019. I did a few jobs, but didn't enjoy them due to coworkers or managers being awful.

2021 is when I found my work from home job, and have been there for 9 months. Now thinking of working at a local Dollar General as a lead sales associate. WFH jobs are great, but just wanna work a job where I can be more physically active.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59

Re: What was your first job? - May 13th 2022, 02:33 PM

I worked at a warehouse with my dad weighing and measuring different plumbing parts for our logistics coordinator.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Staff On Leave

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 34,042, Level: 26 Points: 34,042, Level: 26 Points: 34,042, Level: 26

Re: What was your first job? - May 13th 2022, 06:14 PM

I got my first job when I was 14, I worked at a small farmers market about a 1/2 mile from my house. And what would happen is we had someone bring products from farms, and we would inventory what we got. Make signs for the price, and set up the display. And then we would take turns being the cashier, writing out receipts, and being the sales person. There was only like 3 or 4 of us. It was a awesome opportunity, I worked there two summers. One of the summers we did small cooking projects, we would make samples using one or two of the vegetables we would sell as a "Here is something you can make with Kale!" One of the recipes I actually still make to this day.

My next job I started when I was either 15 or 16, and I worked with a program that was encouraging kids to spend time outside. And learn all kinds of outdoor skills, how to start camp fires, build shelters. Learn to navigate in the woods. I worked there and at another program for a couple years.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: What was your first job? - May 13th 2022, 08:29 PM

My first job was when I was 18 and it was at a book shop over the Christmas period. I enjoyed some parts and didn't enjoy others. I enjoyed it because who doesn't love a 50% discount on books? But it was full time and I had just dropped out of uni and found it all a LOT to handle. I did learn customer service skills there, but it definitely wasn't a highlight for me when I look back on it.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: What was your first job? - May 14th 2022, 01:54 AM

It was at McDonalds at 15. I worked there until I got my first full-time job at 18.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread