TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

I feel like I'm already running out of time to do what I want to do... - June 18th 2009, 09:16 PM

I say this because I'm a Junior in high school now. I want to play guitar for a living in hopefully a rock or metal band... Not to be famous and rich, simply cause I want to play guitar. And I want that feeling of being on stage, pouring your soul and deepest secrets out into the crowd, and being accepted by random strangers who actually understand what your saying.

However... to really do this, you need to be insanly good. I'm not that good. I personally think I suck. And you need to start doing it in High School. No one wants a 40 year old fat lady on stage attempting to play guitar. You need to be young... 20, years old.
I don't even have a band yet. I've tried, but no one wants me. Cause again, I suck. Theres been completely joke bands that I tried to continue, bands that never made it off the ground, and the most recent hilarious metal band with a group of friends who aparently didn't think it was going to be anything more than a joke. Not actually getting together to play..
There's the bassist for my jazz band, who I recently saw in a sophisticated jazz band with much older and talented guys in a restaraunt. And theres my friend whos band will be playing with Chasing Canadia next week... Yet they're also in high school.

I'm late to the game really. I've got nothing going for me and I'm simply not going to make it. I'm not going to be a 'rock star'..
So... I'm tempted to give up again. To give up on guitar and music, which is basically the only thing that distracts me from myself and stuff.
Only reason I havn't yet is because I remember last time I did and that was quite a pathetic state. But as I said, I'm late to the game. It's hard enough making it in the music business, it kinda helps to not suck.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: I feel like I'm already running out of time to do what I want to do... - June 18th 2009, 09:19 PM

It's never too late. You may be a late starter and others in high school may have done this and done that but that doesn't matter. You can still achieve your dream whether you start now or when you're 20 because to me, age doesn't matter when it comes to music and bands as long as they're having fun doing what they're doing and they are getting their message out there, they're doing a good job.

Don't give up and just keep at it, if you feel that you aren't doing enough then do a bit more and see if that helps and if you can't get yourself into a band, why not try being a solo artist until you can? The message will still be there whether there is 1 or 50.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: I feel like I'm already running out of time to do what I want to do... - June 20th 2009, 12:59 AM

YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO PLAY IN A ROCK BAND.

My dad plays drums in a band with some friends, and they're all in their 50s. They're not famous or anything, but it's a band, and they've played several (paying) gigs in the area.

Don't be so hard on yourself! The only way to get better at guitar or any instrument is to PRACTICE.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I feel like I'm already running out of time to do what I want to do... - June 20th 2009, 02:14 AM

If it is what you really are passionate about, then don't worry about success because you'll want to do it regardless of whether or not you are successful.

Music requires massive amounts of practice to be really good at. If you can't get a band together, work on your playing, singing?, and on getting into a school for music (if that is what you want). You definitely don't have to start a band in high school to make it, and you'll have much better luck finding people who want to be in a band in a college where people are studying music.

Not everyone is an instant success and not everyone is young when they are successful. Don't be so hard on yourself. Think about what you want, not how the music industry seems to be.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: I feel like I'm already running out of time to do what I want to do... - June 20th 2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
If it is what you really are passionate about, then don't worry about success because you'll want to do it regardless of whether or not you are successful.

Music requires massive amounts of practice to be really good at. If you can't get a band together, work on your playing, singing?, and on getting into a school for music (if that is what you want). You definitely don't have to start a band in high school to make it, and you'll have much better luck finding people who want to be in a band in a college where people are studying music.

Not everyone is an instant success and not everyone is young when they are successful. Don't be so hard on yourself. Think about what you want, not how the music industry seems to be.
Agreed that practice is important! Practice EVERY DAY (or as much as you possibly can)- it's the only way to get better.

Also, you don't have to major in music in college if you want to be a musician (although many people do!- not everyone does). At many colleges, even people who aren't music majors can take music classes or lessons (the plus side is that these will be close to where you're living, and may be either cheap or free). If you go to college in a city, you may even be able to take music lessons somewhere in the city (or even if you go to college in a small town you may be able to find somewhere to take lessons- but it'll probably be easier if you're in a city).

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
thesmallcheese Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I feel like I'm already running out of time to do what I want to do... - June 26th 2009, 05:22 AM

If you can, I advise you strongly to take lessons... And if you have the money, go to a music camp. And, as all musicians tell you, practice.

As for finding a band, why not give craigslist a try?(Or you could make flyers and post them at various music shops around town) Make a post saying you're just beginning, but are taking lessons, and would love to be in a someday serious rock/metal band. Say you're seeking others in your position, and see who replies. If you get more offers than musicians needed, ask for a sample of them playing (though it may not be available this early on in the game). And, as always (because there are a bunch of creeps out there) bring a friend along (preferably an older/bigger guy) and meet in a public location. If and when you meet at your or his or her house, make sure your parents know where you are, and when you'll be home. Also bring your cell phone. Apologies for the safety lecture, but since I don't know you I can't assume you know this.

And stop being hard on yourself. You're still young, and have plenty of time to get good. Many bands have members in their 30's, and varying degrees of experience. A band can still be incredible if they have good lyrics and at least a few good musicians. Good luck.

Closed Thread