TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kupo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Starting Senior Year this fall, have a few "bugs/zits/annoyances" to fix.. - June 19th 2009, 08:25 AM

Alright, I've been doing so well in High School. I've got As, Bs, rarely Cs for Freshman and Sophomore year. Junior Year, I've slumped. Junior Year aka the hardest year of High School because you're overly stressed with hard classes and important tests such as the SATs. I attend school in California, USA.

Originally.. I've had everything planned. Although, I don't know If I'm going to a UC (University of California/Best College) or a CSU (California State University/Second Best). Then.. my Grades slumped.

First Semester (D-Grades):
Chemistry
Spanish 2

Second Semester (D-Grades)
:
AP English 3
Geometry

It's too late to attend a UC, due to the fact I failed to maintain a 3.0. It's nearly impossible to attend a CSU because of the D's I have. Due to me getting a C in Spanish 2, they are willing to forgive the D that I have in First Semester, so I don't have to worry about that. So that leaves, Chemistry (1st Semester), and AP English 3/Geometry (2nd Semester).

Now.. I'm allow to retake the class to "replace" the "D Grades" that I got, but..

1) It would be too much of a hassle to mix-up my schedule.
2) I was originally planning to take Chemistry for one semester in Senior Year, instead of over the summer. But when I found out about my Ds in AP English 3 and Geometry, it was too late to sign up to make up the D.
3) My Counselor wouldn't really prioritize this because I still have a D. Meaning.. I got credit for the class, I didn't fail the class. So I can still graduate. aka Budget Cuts will make it so that If there is no space.. I get kicked out, to fill in space for the Juniors (who are suppose to take it.)
4) I'd rather enjoy my Senior Year. Just taking classes as normal, without have to stress with the make-ups I have to do.
5) I won't be free to do night classes, I'm also busy over the summer (Applying for Jobs, Driver's Permit, Family Visiting, etc.) It's too late to apply even If I wanted too.

I don't really understand what college is in detail. Other than it's a place where people go to to continue education to set up for their careers. Other than that, I'm not sure what majors, minors, the system, how things work, etc.

Would going to community college for two years, then transferring to a UC/CSU work? (Assuming that I can just use community college to "patch" my "holes"?, Is that how it works?)

To be honest, I'm not sure If I even am attending a UC/CSU, because I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Financially, It would also be hard, even with aid...

Ugh.. I'm so confused. But I guess it's best to ask this while it's still early for Summer Vacation, ya? *cries*

*stops*
*sighs*

x____x.. sometimes, i wish life had an undo button or.. maybe.. im actually sleeping and i need to wake up from this nightmare.. ugh.. HELP ME!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Starting Senior Year this fall, have a few "bugs/zits/annoyances" to fix.. - June 19th 2009, 08:57 PM

Hey, I'm going to be in the same boat as you in the fall. I dread filling out college applications, writing essays, etc.

Junior year IS tough and I'm finally done with it, thankfully. You are in a tough situation. Have you considered re-taking some of those classes elsewhere as in at a local community college? I know many juniors and seniors opt to take various classes outside of high school and they do receive credit for it.

As for college, a CC would not be a bad idea, especially if you feel like you did not do as well as you wanted to in high school, etc. You could attend a CC and then transfer to one of the UC's or CSU's. Have you spoken to your college counselor about post-high school options? He/she will definitely be able to give you advice and ideas.

You should look up colleges that fit your profile (e.g. what you are interested in, GPA, test scores, etc) because you are bound to find some good schools out there. Second, you don't need to worry about majors and/or minors as most students do not even declare a major (basically, a field of study) during their freshmen or sophomore years of college. You always have the opportunity to change your major. At the end of the day, college is what you make of it. It doesn't matter which school you attend as long as it fits you the best. College should be a time where you are able to spread your wings and experience new opportunities.

I hope all of that helped. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me any time or post here. Good luck!

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe

Name: olivia

Re: Starting Senior Year this fall, have a few "bugs/zits/annoyances" to fix.. - June 19th 2009, 09:05 PM

Hmmm. I heard even with a CC the UCs are just tough nuts to crack. >_< However, I also have a personal friend who, despite all of the doubting people did with her, went the CC route and was accepted into one of the UCs.
Do you have an excuse as to why there are the D's? Perhaps a family problem, personal struggle? You could include that in your essay.
Also, what do you want to major in? Have you showed great interest in taking/participating in classes/outside activities that express this interest?
Colleges want to see dedication and aptitude in potential applicants. One is not really valuable without the other so make sure to show you have both somehow to the UCs [go there because you have a reason and it's a good fit for you] and perhaps the Adcoms will see something in your application gaining you admission despite your otherwise low GPA.

Live and let live.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Starting Senior Year this fall, have a few "bugs/zits/annoyances" to fix.. - June 19th 2009, 09:14 PM

Some colleges, there's a new one that opened recently, wills sometimes let some things slip. If you met the A-G requirements, I'd just apply for all the colleges you can. Maybe on will let you in for one reason or another. Just try, the worst is you don't get accepted.

If It doesn't work, then spend two years in a a junior/community college, and transfer. Get your general ed out of the way.

Things will be fine. I'm kind of upset too. I was on the road for a four year college, and went to homeschool... I almost met the A-G requirements, but that doesn't cut it.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
Closed Thread