TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Terra Rae Offline
Telescope <3
Not a n00b

Name: Terra Rae

International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 8th 2009, 06:40 PM

The IB program. Either you've heard of it, or you haven't xD My high school has offered this program for a few years now, the first IB class just graduating this year.
Those of you who aren't sure what it is, check out the website, and those of you who do know (or are even IN it :O) should leave your comments.
I, personally, am a partial IB diploma student which is much too complicated to explain xD and I've always wondered what people in other parts of the country/world thought of IB.

Don't patronize,
I realize,
I'm losing and this is my
real life.

"The way to a man's heart truly is through his stomach. None of those pesky ribs to stab through." <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 8th 2009, 07:58 PM

I have never taken an IB class, but I know that IB classes are harder than AP classes. The downside is that colleges will not give you credit for taking an IB class like they do with AP classes.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bou901 Offline
.__.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 9th 2009, 06:01 AM

Our school had IB classes and some Universities offered some credits for having completed the IB classes, but the catch was that it had to be for certain degrees. Not all the degrees could accept an IB credit. So it would suck if you did all that work and didn't really get recongnition for it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Terra Rae Offline
Telescope <3
Not a n00b

Name: Terra Rae

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 12th 2009, 09:01 PM

The university I plan on attending will take IB credits. The only credit I am completing however is English, but still, it's a start on university before I even get there! ^^

Don't patronize,
I realize,
I'm losing and this is my
real life.

"The way to a man's heart truly is through his stomach. None of those pesky ribs to stab through." <3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 13th 2009, 01:24 AM

From my experiences in the UK, the general feeling from people I know who take it is that it's much harder work, yet it carries a lot less weight with Universities than the Standard A-Levels.

Then again people I know on it are actually wanting to study out the country, so it has a great benefit in that sense.

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Farron Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Farron :)

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 13th 2009, 02:31 AM

I took IB but left after my freshman year. The work was pretty much just AP stuff with different anagrams. I left under differences between what I thought was teaching - and what they thought was teaching.lol

My German teacher was horrid. He'd just play a cd and would then turn around and grade tests for an hour. Brought that up with my IB Coordinator and Director. They said "well, German teachers are hard to come by...." - to which I brought my mother into the picture. I had told both my mother and coordinator that if this wasn't resolved, I'd leave the next week.

The IB Director told my mother "you be the parent and make her be the child"..to which I signed out of the program 2 minutes later

Granted, it was a pretty awesome place to go (not including the German teacher).
but the work at IB is no different than the work at my public AP classes.

(I attended the JCIB campus)

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -- Stephen Roberts

"And when you spread forth your hands, I will hide my eyes from you: yes, when you make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood." Isaiah 1:15

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SnowKitten Offline
SnowLeopard/Caracal/Otter/Fox
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Snow

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 13th 2009, 02:53 AM

I'm going to an IB high school next year!
:O
Maybe you can help me out or something...
J/K...but really, I think that the IB program is a cool idea, even though I have no idea how it works...
=(^_^)=

Click my eggs and help my dragons grow! :3
  Send a message via AIM to SnowKitten Send a message via Yahoo to SnowKitten  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe

Name: olivia

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 16th 2009, 12:59 AM

I was in IB. But I dropped out because it is very time intensive. The work isn't necessarily harder but it's a lot more in breadth, I found, rather than depth. Plus all of my outside issues didn't help the problem. In the end it just wasn't for me. However, I do find that many students who successfully complete the IB program do very very well in college/university because it does encourage critical thinking and an assiduous and organized approach to coursework.

Live and let live.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 16th 2009, 05:56 AM

Hiya,

I'm inn the IB program now at my school. year 11. and i find it a very time intensive program. I think i learn more about myself then i do from the classes. It's a very well rounding program. Personally I like it. It keeps me busy and away from home. =)

take care,

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 26th 2009, 04:18 PM

The IB is the same standard as the A-levels we do in the UK, which is apparently the same level as 1st year college in the US. Therefore if you're in the US, you will find it challenging, if you're in the UK, you're more likely to find it alright.

I think the primary difference with the IB is the range of subjects studied, and this is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 26th 2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
From my experiences in the UK, the general feeling from people I know who take it is that it's much harder work, yet it carries a lot less weight with Universities than the Standard A-Levels.
This is not true. IB is just as well regarded as A-levels, if not more. If you achieve the maximum grades possible the UCAS point's are equivalent to 6 A grades at A2. I know that for medicine - one of the most competitive subjects - many Universities unofficially prefer IB qualifications.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 26th 2009, 04:33 PM

the sixth form college i'm going to in september offers it.. but theres no way i'd do it seeing as you have to do maths, some science and a language. which are all my worst subjects!.

i always thought its very highly regarded by universities because it shows you can do a wide range of subjects to a very high standard.. however having so many subjects [i think it's 7.. although i might be wrong] can be a disadvantage also.

so yeah i'm starting my AS levels in september.. that way i can do what i want rather than what i have to do, as i'd have to if i did IB.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 26th 2009, 04:34 PM

All I'm saying is that people who applied with IB's seem to have had a much harder time of it then those just using A-Levels with Unis.

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(#14 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 26th 2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying is that people who applied with IB's seem to have had a much harder time of it then those just using A-Levels with Unis.
That probably is to do with their scores in the IB, rather than the fact they've done IB. But people who do badly in the IB would do badly with A-levels too, IB is no harder than 4 A-levels. But as I said, if you get the highest scores for IB your UCAS points are equivalent to 6 A's at A-level, which considering the IB is the amount of work as 4-A levels, is pretty damn good.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
xohkayleigh Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 31st 2009, 03:20 AM

well my experience with ib is that it gives the students & the teachers that teach it a snobby pride.
i left the ib program after my freshmen year because i didnt want that label, as being stuck up.
and needless to say only 2 of the people that use to be my "friends" still talk to me, the rest dont think that im good enough because i dropped it.
at the school that i went to for ib the classes were all ap and honors, nothing special.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - July 31st 2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
That probably is to do with their scores in the IB, rather than the fact they've done IB. But people who do badly in the IB would do badly with A-levels too, IB is no harder than 4 A-levels. But as I said, if you get the highest scores for IB your UCAS points are equivalent to 6 A's at A-level, which considering the IB is the amount of work as 4-A levels, is pretty damn good.
The problem people were running into is that some universities for their subjects want the A-Level because it was, in the admissions offices words: "Two years dedicated the to the study of the subject solely, which the IB could not offer."

(#17 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - August 2nd 2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
The problem people were running into is that some universities for their subjects want the A-Level because it was, in the admissions offices words: "Two years dedicated the to the study of the subject solely, which the IB could not offer."
Neither does A-level, unless you only do one, and then you'd be fucked when it comes to apply anyway
IB gives you just as much as A-level

The only way to do this would be to do a BTEC and they're just a joke really.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - August 2nd 2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Neither does A-level, unless you only do one, and then you'd be fucked when it comes to apply anyway
IB gives you just as much as A-level

The only way to do this would be to do a BTEC and they're just a joke really.
No, I think they meant that they'd rather have someone who's studied subjects specifically instead of the mish-mash of subjects an IB throws in. But hey, that was the universities words, not mine.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
newurule Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - August 3rd 2009, 06:03 PM

I just finished the IB program
It's hard.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Rainbow =) Offline
always eager to help!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: International Baccalaureate (IB) - August 3rd 2009, 08:09 PM

I was in the IB last year and had a wonderful experience!
It helped me to learn to organize my time and to study on my own, I realized I can learn a lot by my self.
It was hard, demanding, a challenge every step of the way, but it paid off since I got extra credits and job offers at university!

Anyone who says
sunshine brings happiness,
has never danced in the rain.

Life is like a rainbow,
you need both the sun and the rain
to make its color appear.

Closed Thread