TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cookie.prose17 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Cookie

Unhappy Missing Out. - July 15th 2009, 01:57 AM

I dropped out of high school after the first semester of the 10th grade, and was homeschooled for the second semester. I was reviewed, and everything, and I apparently did very well.

Any advice on how to get over the fact that I'm missing out on the supposed "golden" high school experience? --I had a terrible time. My old friends didn't treat me well at all, and, after making my life hell, are doing just fine without me. They get to enjoy high school. They've completely moved on--neither I, nor our friendship meant anything to them, apparently. I feel robbed. I'm excited about going to college early--really, I am. And I'm determined to get into a good university, after two years of community college, but...I know they'll all be friends for life, and I was a part of that too, once. We could have all been friends for a really long time, but things happened, and they effortlessly got over me, while I was left to burden the hurt. They get to make friends for life at high school, and I don't. It's not fair, and it really hurts. I mean...how could they treat me like that? How could they, and then get rewarded for it?

My friend (the only one of my old friends who still talks to me) is being really ignorant about my going to college two years early: "I understand going to college and making something of yourself and everything, but what about the whole high school experience? Party-crashing, mall-hopping...and prom!! What about prom?! You can't just notgo to prom!! DUDE!!!!"

And then she insensitively brought up our old friends to me. I was so excited about this, and I know I'm going to have a lot of fun, anyway, but...is going to college early really that big of a deal? Just because I won't be a high school student anymore, doesn't mean I'm never going to have fun again. Life doesn't end after high school (although I think my friend wants me to believe this, so I'll feel terrible about leaving her school). I can go to the mall anytime, and I'm crashing my best friend's prom. I actually have more friends now than I did before I dropped out. Why is my friend trying to depress me? Why is it working, even though I know what she's doing? Does that seem right? She and our old friends really hurt me, so does she really have a right to lecture me, and just crush me like that? I think she's doing this on purpose, trying to upset me. I don't like the way she said that, at all. At first, I was totally cool about it--I knew she was trying to bring me down, so I didn't let her, and I calmly, patiently addressed her insensitive comment. And then I started thinking about it, and it really started to get to me--I can't believe I let her get to me...I know what she's doing, but now that the thought's in my head I can't get it out. I want to make good friends at community college, and I've been battling my anxiety for a while, until I finally got to a point where I was confident about going--and then my friend deliberately put a damper on everything.

I don't want to let her make me miserable, like this.

Any comments, or advice? Has anyone else gone ahead to college early? I need reassurance...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katieeee Offline
that's what she said.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Missing Out. - July 15th 2009, 05:19 AM

I'm going to college early. I skipped out on my senior year, which is supposedly the "most impotant year of all". Truthfully, I was over high school the minute freshman year ended. I don't regret my decision at all; I love it. High school is stupid, and everyone is so insecure that they just focus on bringing everyone else down. It's really hard to believe, but you really don't stay in contact with the people you met at high school. People go on with their lives, and you go on with yours. If your so called friends are doing this to you then (and excuse the bluntness) screw them. You're making something of yourself and moving on with life, and they're stuck in the constant emotional drama that is high school. Trust me, you'll make new and better friends. It seems like they are the only ones that matter now, but after a few months of college, you'll realize you didn't really need them to begin with.

Focus on your studies and don't worry about people who try to bring you down. Show them up by making something successful out of yourself.

And as for party crashing, mall hopping and what not? Well, who's to say you can't still do that stuff in college? College parties are way better than high school parties anyways. And prom? From what i've heard, most schools allow their students to take someone who doesn't attend that specific school. You could still go. And if you don't? Take it from me, prom is overrated. It's fun if you go with someone you truly like, but really, it's super expensive and gets old after about the first two hours in. Honestly, once you meet some awesome college people, dress up, go out to dinner, and then have a makeshift dance party at somone's house. You'll have way more fun anyways.

Don't let these idiotic people get you down. Have fun and make the best out of your college experience. In my personal opinion, it's way better than high school. :]

You gotta spend some time love
You gotta spend some time with me
And I know that you'll find love
I will possess your heart

(#3 (permalink)) Old
dancer Offline
love, anonymous
I've been here a while

Re: Missing Out. - July 15th 2009, 06:40 AM

Hi Emily,

don't worry, sweetie, you're not suddenly way behind in life/fun progress because of going to college early. Like you said, high school wasn't really being that great for you, and college will be a chance to start over and have your "golden years" then, a chance to make new friends for life who are already possibly more mature as people than those who acted flippantly in high school. Would you want people like your "friends" from high school to be the ones you have for life? The friends that you will make are ones that will actually show that they care about you.

And anyway, there will be parties in college, the mall, and lots of social events. Life does not end with college. In fact, a lot of people view college, rather than high school, as a time to finally have more fun or at least freedom.

Thing'll work out, don't worry

Drown in the music,
dance in the rain,
block out the thunder,
and let the scars fade.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Cookie.prose17 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Missing Out. - July 15th 2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks so much, you guys This really cheered me up ^^ I can't tell you how much it means to me that you would help me out like this =) I'm sure you both are right. I'm a little less doubtful now ^_^ Thanks again! You guys were a great help to me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cherryqueen1248 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Care

Re: Missing Out. - July 17th 2009, 11:45 PM

keep your chin up, everything happens for a reason and if people in the past didn't make it to the future then they clearly dont deserve to be there. you seem like a very strong person, so keep pushing on and dont let anyone stop you! good luck!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Missing Out. - July 18th 2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaze_akeboshi View Post
Any advice on how to get over the fact that I'm missing out on the supposed "golden" high school experience? --I had a terrible time. My old friends didn't treat me well at all, and, after making my life hell, are doing just fine without me. They get to enjoy high school. They've completely moved on--neither I, nor our friendship meant anything to them, apparently. I feel robbed. I'm excited about going to college early--really, I am. And I'm determined to get into a good university, after two years of community college, but...I know they'll all be friends for life, and I was a part of that too, once. We could have all been friends for a really long time, but things happened, and they effortlessly got over me, while I was left to burden the hurt. They get to make friends for life at high school, and I don't. It's not fair, and it really hurts. I mean...how could they treat me like that? How could they, and then get rewarded for it?
High schools sucks. It sucked for me too, and you can't really change it. I have no friends left from high school, absolutely none. If it makes you feel any better though, all those friends who are "friends for life" sounds like shallow people and there is most likely going to be a load of drama between them as they get older. Be glad you don't have to be a part of that drama and that you can meet new people in college.

Life begins after high school, not ends. I never went party crashing, mall hopping, or to prom. Its really not a big deal to miss those things. You'll have to find fun things to do in college instead. College parties > high school parties (not that I went to many high school parties).

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Cookie.prose17 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Missing Out. - July 22nd 2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
keep your chin up, everything happens for a reason and if people in the past didn't make it to the future then they clearly dont deserve to be there.
That's very true, actually. I never really thought about it that way, but wow. That's pretty profound, Cherry...

& Dream-- thanks so much for your perspective, I really appreciate it ^_^

Closed Thread