TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 25th 2009, 11:31 PM

Hi!

Right; the question is: how many AP classes are you taking? I ask b/c I'm transferring from a private school where students were limited to 1 in sophomore year and 2 in junior year to a public school where students seem to take more of them (without any prerequisites, they can just sign up). I've signed up for 2 but am wondering if this strikes the right balance; as much as I'd dislike having too many assignments to handle, I also want to have enough challenging courses.

Thoughts?!?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 25th 2009, 11:37 PM

Erm, my school is a bit odd. We only have four AP classes per grade. I've been in all four since grade nine and will be in four next year, when I go to grade twelve.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
love2laugh Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 25th 2009, 11:38 PM

I also transfered from a private school to a public school. I only took 2 AP classes, but it wasn't because they wouldn't let me take more, it was becauseI struggle with Math and Science, so I took those as regular classes, and took AP English and AP World History. I enjoyed those classes a lot more then the others. I found the students were intrested in learning and the teachers were better. So I would reccomend taking as many as you think you can handle.

Drop me a PM anytime, about anything!
I would love to talk to you!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 26th 2009, 12:13 AM

I went to a private high school and there was never any limited AP classes you could take...
2 AP classes seem perfect I took AP world history my sophomore year, AP english and spanish my junior and only AP physcology my senior year.
What classes are you planing to take?

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Wannabe Realist
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 26th 2009, 12:25 AM

I'm taking 3 (Calculus, US History, and English 3). I'm also trying to get in a fourth though (Human Geography).

how nice- to feel nothing but still get credit for being alive
kurt vonnegut

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 26th 2009, 01:49 AM

I don 't have AP classes yet but have honors. I'm in all honors and it was much too much for me. Even though I'm smart enough to be in all AP its just too stressful. Maybe try what you signed up for then if you get to stressed out or it is too hard go down to the guidance office and ask to change your classes

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 26th 2009, 01:56 AM

Ok, thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go ahead with taking AP Government (a class with 9th graders even though I'm a junior, b/c my old school didn't offer a government class) and AP US History. I might do AP English if, after taking the test in August that I think is sort of a placement test, they recommend it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kaaaaaaaaaarri Offline
I've got it all (most)♥
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Karri

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 26th 2009, 05:17 AM

I'm taking 1 (AP Chemistry) as a sophomore, and the only AP classes we can take as sophomores here are the sciences. But I'm also taking Honors English and math.

I've got it all (most)
I've got it all, almost all figured out

(#9 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 27th 2009, 02:06 PM

It really depends on the school you will attend. I think students usually take around 1-3 AP classes per year, but there are those who take 7 APs (I personally think that's a little crazy). I will be taking one AP class this year as a senior because my school doesn't offer many AP courses.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 27th 2009, 08:49 PM

At my school, the only way a freshman can take AP classes is if there teacher recomends them for them, or if they took them in eighth grade. If you are a senior or Junior, you can take them if you want, you have to sign up. i'm not taking any AP classes yet, I want to take honors Social Studies next year and honors English. The sciences are sort of hard for me and Math is too.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#11 (permalink)) Old
heather_tate19 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Heather

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 27th 2009, 09:25 PM

I took a total of 5 APs during high school. I took 1 junior year: AP History and 4 my senior year: AP Stats, Calc, Chem and Bio, that all just about mentally killed me but I am so happy I came out of that semester (it was all in 1 semester) with higher than a 3.0

(#12 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe

Name: olivia

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 27th 2009, 09:51 PM

I am going to end up taking 5 APs.
AP Language/Composition (11)
AP Literatutre (12)
AP Microeconomics (12)
AP US Govt. (12)
AP Biology (12)
Well, it depends on your interests and what is offered. I've done research and you can supposedly self-study AP Psychology with the right prep book so you might consider doing that. AP Human Geo is a lottt of vocabulary...AP Language I really do reccomend (it's helped me so much in critical thinking skills and it's not impossible to pull off a 4 or a 5 depending on the prep book you use and your skill going in).
APUSH (AP US History) is definitely doable if you study for it (know your stuff in detail!) and have good writing skill. However, it's definitely challenging.
AP US Govt is the same. Best of luck.
Ah, also I reccomend 5 Steps to a 5 for APLANG and AP Cliffs for Biology.
My school offers 1 AP to both Freshman and Sophomore. After that it's pretty much whatever fits in the schedule.

Live and let live.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 28th 2009, 02:06 AM

I think you shouldn't over due it. I think taking two is great and then if, next year, you decide you can handle more classes you should go for it.

The thing is you don't want to overwhelm yourself and if you have too many AP classes it will get overwhelming.

When I was in highschool I took AP U.S history and AP English and I skipped a year for my german class(went to German 4 instead of three) and I was so stressed out; I had to drop the english class just to make things a little less stressful.

Also, given the fact that you will be attending a new school the AP classes might be run differently(I had a friend that went to a school a couple miles from me and her AP classes were run way differently then mine) so you might want to check the classes out this year and go from there.

I hope this was helpful.

~Jenna~

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 28th 2009, 02:41 AM

My school's ap classes are hard as hell, I have gotten C+/B/B+ on them (Chem/US/Euro). But they did prepare us, because I got 5,4,5 respectively on the AP exam. It depends on the school you go to for how hard ap classes are.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 28th 2009, 03:02 AM

I'm not sure which school I'm going to next year.
The one that I've been originally planning to go to, I took AP English last year, and I was going to do that as well as semi-advanced Math.
The school that I WANT to go to has AP classes for every class imaginable, so if I get what I want, I might be taking quite a few.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Toz

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 29th 2009, 01:19 AM

I'm taking 2, but you can take as many as your eligible for as far as I know.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
chiaroscuro Offline
...is a real boy.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Antmen/Herbert

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 29th 2009, 09:27 AM

My sophomore year, I took one (AP World History). Junior year, I took two (Chemistry, English Language). My senior year I took three (English Lit, Government, Calculus AB)

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Tecatholic Offline
Average Joe

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 29th 2009, 12:07 PM

My jr year I had two (psychology and speech 1) and this year I will have five. (English 3 English 4 speech 2 US government Bio 2)
But dont over do it.

Send a message via MSN to Tecatholic Send a message via Yahoo to Tecatholic Send a message via Skype™ to Tecatholic 
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Mike

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 31st 2009, 02:42 AM

I'm going to take two this year. A.P Bio and A.P.U.S.H.

I'm kinda nervous because I'm also in two more honors classes and the workload is starting to terrify me. School also doesn't start for a month.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
xohkayleigh Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 31st 2009, 03:17 AM

i took one my 9th grade year because we were forced to.
im not taking any now, and i dont plan on taking anymore.
its rediculous that your whole college credit is dependent on one test.
im taking dual enrollment classes, i have 2 of them.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: How many AP classes (public school)? [US students] - July 31st 2009, 05:29 AM

Originally at my school, it went:
Sophomore: AP US
Junior: AP Euro
Senior: AP Gov, AP English, AP Calculus (but not really, they didn't use the AP test)

Then they changed it for my year. It went: AP US Junior and seniors took AP Gov, AP English, and fake AP Calculus.

Then for the year below us, they took away the World History requirement that screwed us over for the AP US.

Beware of the cats.

Closed Thread