TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
steven Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

College/studying in the US as an international student - July 29th 2009, 01:00 PM

Hi, I just started my freshman year in college. I’ve been through one ‘full’ semester and one summer sem so far and will be transferring to the US in a year or two. I’ve been doing a lot of research lately about transferring to the US since I’m pretty concerned about the current economic situation that seems to be affecting international students a lot (like the recent news of California reducing their international student intake and limiting intake to fall semesters only). Right now, I plan to major in something along the lines of business/marketing/computer and study in California, looking at University of San Jose, but again, it's just a plan and I'm open to other choices

I have gathered quite a bit of info at the moment about going to the US, so what I understand now is that I would need to be at least a complete freshman (0 credits) or junior (with min 60 credits) to transfer to the US, that university applications are open and need to be done around the October-December time frame of the previous year and student visa applications in around May of the actual year of flying to the US. However I’m not sure if this “Registration fee for international students” that I keep seeing in the budget/tuition fees tables by university websites is a one time, annual or every semester payment, since none of the university websites mention the frequency of payment.

Also, how’s the cost of living like? I’ve seen from online searches and estimates by universities that cost of living ranges between $10,000 to $20,000 per year, depending on location. It would be great if actual people living in the US could give an opinion/insight to these quoted costs, and how accurate such figures are. I’m not too financially well-off, so I won’t be getting a car or going places while studying in the states, neither will I be straying off the “food, clothing, shelter” and basic necessities in terms of spending, so how much would be the cost of living of a frugal student in California (input from other states are welcome though, since my choices are open)?
-Steven

Closed Thread