TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

University Help - August 3rd 2009, 02:29 AM

Well...I’m seventeen years old and I live in Canada; Ontario, Canada to be more specific. I will be applying to university in October/November of this upcoming year and I’m beginning to stress about it.

I will start by telling you about myself and what I want to do with my life: I intend on majoring in Psychology (B.A.) and getting an honours degree. I love Psychology and am very interested in it. I also really like Philosophy and was considering double majoring or minoring in Philosophy.

1)What do you think about that? Do you think I should do a sole B.A. (Honours) in Psychology or somehow combine it with Philosophy? My options for this: B.A. Psychology (Honours), B.A. Psychology (Honours) and minor B.A. Philosophy, B.A. Psychology (Honours) and B.A. Philosophy (Honours) – double major.

I am also interested in business but I don’t like the math aspect of Business. There are two universities (that happen to be in my current top four universities) that have combined Psychology/Business programs where the business requirements have little or no math whatsoever. The first school: It’ll be Psychology for two years, then business for two years, then Psychology for two years. I will end up with a B.A. Psychology (Honours) and an Honours Business Administration degree. The second school: It’ll be Psychology and Business for four years – with the courses combined each year. I’ll also have the option of doing co-op with this school – which could be a plus?

2)What do you think about these options? If you think business is a good idea, which of the two schools do you think would be best for this?

I mentioned co-op. If you’re not fully aware of what co-op is, I’ll explain: Basically within your degree, you have about four work terms (four months each). You will be able to apply to a vast array of jobs and positions until you get one. You will work there for the duration of your co-op term and get paid. The average university student enrolled in a co-op at a reputable university will make anywhere between $35,000 and $80,000 during the course of their university career. With co-op, however, you work or go to school during the summer depending on the schedule you have. Therefore, you have no breaks, really.

3)What do you think about co-op? Do you think it’s a good idea? As I mentioned earlier, I have compiled a list of the top four universities that I may want to attend – and my parents actually approve of these universities, even though all require me to live on residence. Only two of these universities offer co-op.

4)University is expensive and my parents don’t have a lot of money. Especially because I want to live on campus and away from home, co-op would be really useful. However if I choose to do the co-op program, like I said, I limit my options down to two – one that I really like but don’t know how good their co-op program is and the other that has an awesome co-op program but I don’t really like the school and atmosphere too much. What do you think?

Co-op would certainly help with the costs but what if I don’t go to a school with co-op? I’ll still be working part time but university will cost me about $20,000 a year if I live on campus. That includes all of the costs, though. If I live at home, university will probably cost me about $8,000 a year or so. I would love to do a lot of traveling and hopefully some kind of exchange with my university – to England, Ireland and/or Italy. In addition to this, I intend on going to graduate school or Law School –which will cost more money. That also means that usually, the reputation of my undergraduate school doesn’t matter very much:

5)Do you think I should consider living at home for university because of all the money it will save me? I don’t really want to for a number of factors: my family drives me nuts, I don’t really want to commute everyday to university even though it’s only fifteen minutes away, the local university isn’t that reputable and doesn’t really have the program I want. Well, they have it but there is more science to it than I’d like – but it would be manageable if I had no other option, obviously.

6)Should money really be a limiting factor? I mean, this is university we’re talking about. This is a once and a lifetime experience. Should I really let something as trivial as money stop me from living the full university experience? I never really considered living at home because I always had my mind set on living on campus, despite the financial differences. But I don’t know... Any thoughts?

I do understand that everything presented here is ultimately my decision but I really could use the extra help and opinions. Sometimes hearing it from other people solidifies your own beliefs and opinions. I’m a pretty indecisive person, which is why I keep changing my mind and can’t really make any kind of decisions. I’d really like to hear what you think about all of this and maybe suggest something I haven’t mentioned or something. I know it seems like I’m over-worrying but it’s really important to me. It’s four years of my life – four very important years of my life.

Thanks so much for the replies. They’re greatly appreciated.

SUP BRO.

Last edited by esfdhtfy; August 3rd 2009 at 04:54 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: University Help - August 4th 2009, 07:53 AM

Sorry this isn't a full answer. I don't think money should be too limiting a factor. Obviously, going into debt sucks, but if it is manageable debt, it is worth investing in a good education that you like. I personally choose to go away from my family and pay significantly more to do so.

As for your major- I'd say take some classes that you are interested in, and see how those go. Taking a class in something really helps clarify if it is the right thing for you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: University Help - August 4th 2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post

1)What do you think about that? Do you think I should do a sole B.A. (Honours) in Psychology or somehow combine it with Philosophy? My options for this: B.A. Psychology (Honours), B.A. Psychology (Honours) and minor B.A. Philosophy, B.A. Psychology (Honours) and B.A. Philosophy (Honours) Ė double major.

I'm not entirely sure what your career aspirations are but a BA or BSc in psychology alone is rather limited as to what jobs you can have. Generally, it's a teacher, a therapist, social worker or possibly psychiatric nurse. The philosophy can help but if you're not opting for anything beyond a Bachelor's, then I'm not sure how much help the philosophy will be.

Quote:
I am also interested in business but I donít like the math aspect of Business. There are two universities (that happen to be in my current top four universities) that have combined Psychology/Business programs where the business requirements have little or no math whatsoever. The first school: Itíll be Psychology for two years, then business for two years, then Psychology for two years. I will end up with a B.A. Psychology (Honours) and an Honours Business Administration degree. The second school: Itíll be Psychology and Business for four years Ė with the courses combined each year. Iíll also have the option of doing co-op with this school Ė which could be a plus?

As much as you may hate math, you should understand that psychology requires a knowledge of statistics. I'm not sure about your major programs but at UofT, a course in basic statistics is needed. It's not a very intense math course so that's a good thing.

The Bachelor's for business can lead to more jobs and I'm sure the BA in psychology would help for the business.

The co-op could definately be a plus. I haven't done one myself but I do know from others that the experience usually was a very nice one.

Quote:
2)What do you think about these options? If you think business is a good idea, which of the two schools do you think would be best for this?

This question is a bit harder to answer because it depends what type of business you'll be wanting to do. With the second school I think you'd have more opportunity to learn more about the business, which is you're interested in, that's the one I'd take.

Quote:
3)What do you think about co-op? Do you think itís a good idea? As I mentioned earlier, I have compiled a list of the top four universities that I may want to attend Ė and my parents actually approve of these universities, even though all require me to live on residence. Only two of these universities offer co-op.

Co-op can be a good idea for the reason I gave above. But you did point out a disadvantage in that you'll have little time for breaks.

Quote:
4)University is expensive and my parents donít have a lot of money. Especially because I want to live on campus and away from home, co-op would be really useful. However if I choose to do the co-op program, like I said, I limit my options down to two Ė one that I really like but donít know how good their co-op program is and the other that has an awesome co-op program but I donít really like the school and atmosphere too much. What do you think?

I suggest you try to do more research about the first then decide.

Quote:
Co-op would certainly help with the costs but what if I donít go to a school with co-op? Iíll still be working part time but university will cost me about $20,000 a year if I live on campus. That includes all of the costs, though. If I live at home, university will probably cost me about $8,000 a year or so. I would love to do a lot of traveling and hopefully some kind of exchange with my university Ė to England, Ireland and/or Italy. In addition to this, I intend on going to graduate school or Law School Ėwhich will cost more money. That also means that usually, the reputation of my undergraduate school doesnít matter very much:

If you'll be doing university, co-op and a part-time job then I think you've got too much on your plate. I you go to a university without a co-op then you can simply try to get a part-time job somewhere.

Quote:
5)Do you think I should consider living at home for university because of all the money it will save me? I donít really want to for a number of factors: my family drives me nuts, I donít really want to commute everyday to university even though itís only fifteen minutes away, the local university isnít that reputable and doesnít really have the program I want. Well, they have it but there is more science to it than Iíd like Ė but it would be manageable if I had no other option, obviously.

I think you should include that as a consideration but if you want to go to the other universities badly and the local one doesn't offer what you'd care for, well then I think you know the answer.

Quote:
6)Should money really be a limiting factor? I mean, this is university weíre talking about. This is a once and a lifetime experience. Should I really let something as trivial as money stop me from living the full university experience? I never really considered living at home because I always had my mind set on living on campus, despite the financial differences. But I donít know... Any thoughts?

Yes money is a limiting factor and should be one you include. It doesn't mean you shouldn't go to one university simply because of a money issue and nothing else but it's the real-world you're in and money is a huge element of it. You've got to be practical in your reasoning.

If you want to live on campus badly, then I'd check to see if there is enough money for it. I'd also check to see if there'd be enough money for grad. school or Law School. If there is enough, then see how much lee-way you'll have. In your calculations, factor in the money that co-op would earn you or that a part-time job would approx. earn you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: University Help - August 4th 2009, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The only reason why I really can't make up my mind is because I don't know what I want to do. I won't stay with a B.A., that's for sure. If I take the Psychology route and do my four years and get my honours, I could:

1) go to graduate school and get my Ph.D.
2) go to law school
3) get my MBA

I could do all three with a full 4 year Psych undergrad.

However, if I'm interested in business, as I mentioned, there are two programs that will offer me unique opportunities that I could not get with merely an undergrad in Psychology and would help me a lot if I were to go into business. Law, the same thing. At one school, I could do 2 years of Psych + 2 years of Business + 2 years of law and become a lawyer in only six years.

How would I figure out how much money is available to me? Scholarships, loans and bursaries are very difficult to estimate.

And regarding co-op, I kind of do like the idea but if I want to do co-op, I'll end up at uWaterloo, which I don't know if I'm happy about. Guelph also has co-op but I'm not sure how good it is. I know that uWaterloo's is top of the line and everything.

I figure, I have my whole life to work. I think co-op would significantly abrupt my university experience as I will be moving every four months or so; leaving my friends and everything. I don't know if I'd want to do that. Plus, like I said, I get no breaks - which would suck...

SUP BRO.

Closed Thread