TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Which should I pick? - August 3rd 2009, 04:53 PM

If I do decide to live on campus, what kind of factors should I consider when trying to choose one university out of the four that I have on my list? Attractiveness of the campus? Programs available? Courses available? Cultures around? Buildings and structures? Let me break down the four universities that are on my list. I went on a tour of two of them and will see the other two over the next week and a half or so. Iíll break down the four universities and, if you could, tell me which you would choose if you were me:

UNIVERSITY 1 (UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO): About 1.5 hours away; all Asian and Indians; great reputation (1st in the country most of the time); I will be in the top 18% of entering students because of the caliber of students coming into the university; amazing co-op; very competitive and difficult to get good marks; ugly buildings; ugly residences; decent chance of getting a single room; not much to do in the town; ďnerd schoolĒ; ugly campus; great course offerings; I really like the Psychology program because itís very un-sciency; also has the Psychology/Business program which Iím interested in. Will cost about $13,000-$15,000 a year.

1)What do you think of UNIVERSITY 1?

UNIVERSITY 2 (UNIVERSITY OF GUELPH): About 1 hour and 15 minutes away; mostly all white; pretty good reputation (8th in the country); has co-op but I donít know how good it is; I will be in the top 5% of entering students because of the caliber of students coming into the university; nice buildings; best food in the country; pretty nice residences; high chance of getting a single room; is a university town Ė which I like, even though itís a small town; gets great marks for student satisfaction; nice, green campus; pretty good course offerings; I like their Psychology program too but itís a bit more sciency than UNIVERSITY 1; doesnít have any double major with business if I wanted that option; campus is pretty fun and has a good atmosphere. Will cost about $13,500 - $15,500 a year.

2)What do you think of UNIVERSITY 2?

UNIVERSITY 3 (UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN ONTARIO): About 3 hours away; all white, rich and attractive; decent reputation (11th in the country); doesnít have co-op; I will be in the top 20% of entering students because of the caliber of students coming into the university; gorgeous buildings; decent food; nicest residences in the country; very low chance of a single room; is a university town Ė which I like, even though itís a small town; gets great marks for student satisfaction; absolutely gorgeous campus; amazing course offerings; I love their Psychology program because itís very un-sciency; has the double major with Psychology/Business but itíll be longer to graduate Ė six years instead of four, but the business degree is one of the top degrees in the country for business; has a combined Psychology/Business/Law degree that I could get in six years and then I will be a qualified lawyer; campus is very fun and has a reputation for being a ďsemi-party schoolĒ; great atmosphere and school spirit. Will cost $10,400 - $14,500 a year.

3)What do you think of UNIVERSITY 3?

UNIVERSITY 4 (QUEEN'S UNIVERSITY): About 3.5 hours away; all white, rich, attractive; good reputation (7th in the country); doesnít have co-op; I will be in the top 20% of the entering students because of the caliber of students coming into the university; gorgeous buildings; pretty good food; pretty good residences; very low chance of a single room; is a university town Ė which I like, even though itís a small town; gets great marks for student satisfaction; heard many good things about this school from people who attend; gorgeous campus; pretty good course offerings; their Psychology program is arts-based but a bit more sciency than UNIVERSITY 1 and UNIVERSITY 3 (probably equivalent to UNIVERSITY 2 or a bit more non-sciency); doesnít have the double major with Psychology/Business; campus is very fun and enjoyable; great campus atmosphere and school spirit. Will cost $15,500 a year.

4)What do you think of UNIVERSITY 4?

5)If you were me, which of the four universities would you pick? How would you rank the universities (from most favourite to least favourite) if you were to rank the schools?

SUP BRO.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: Which should I pick? - August 3rd 2009, 08:52 PM

Hey!

So I think it's great that you're asking for outside opinions when it comes to picking schools. I was very indecisive when it came down to this so kudos.

There are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to college. I personally took the atmosphere and the curriculum as equal components of the college process. If I had to rank from what you've described:

University 3
University 4
University 2
University 1

The reason why I put university 1 last is because of the residency. Personally, the atmosphere is really important because you'd have to consider where you'd be living for the next 4 years. You'd eat, sleep, breathe the air there. Although it has a great curriculum, I could not concentrate on my studies if I wasn't comfortable in the environment. However, if you think environment is way low on the factors of your decision, than forget everything I just said.

University 3 seems like the better choice even though the reputation is lacking compared to the other schools. You had more description of the major you wanted to pursue, which sounds to me is a good enough reason to pick this school. The social life and atmosphere seems much better than the others, but if you think the "semi-party" rep will hinder your studies, than I'd reconsider.

University 4 and 2 are in the middle range mainly because it doesn't necessarily have the psychology aspects that you want to pursue. They both seem like very good schools though considering all the other factors. I'd lean towards 4 though because it's has less science aspects than 2.

Whatever you decide will be the right choice. Hope this helps!

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Which should I pick? - August 4th 2009, 03:00 AM

I can't tell you because really what matters is the things about the school that matter to you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Which should I pick? - August 4th 2009, 03:30 AM

I always thought McGill, UBC, and Toronto were Canada's big three. Anyways, if you really want the double major, I would go with Western Ontario.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#5 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Which should I pick? - August 4th 2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
I always thought McGill, UBC, and Toronto were Canada's big three. Anyways, if you really want the double major, I would go with Western Ontario.
They are but they don't really offer what I want. Besides, my parents wouldn't let me go to UBC. Where you go for your undergrad means nothing here, provided you go to graduate school or some sort of professional school. [:

SUP BRO.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Which should I pick? - August 4th 2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post

UNIVERSITY 1 (UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO): About 1.5 hours away; all Asian and Indians; great reputation (1st in the country most of the time); I will be in the top 18% of entering students because of the caliber of students coming into the university; amazing co-op; very competitive and difficult to get good marks; ugly buildings; ugly residences; decent chance of getting a single room; not much to do in the town; ďnerd schoolĒ; ugly campus; great course offerings; I really like the Psychology program because itís very un-sciency; also has the Psychology/Business program which Iím interested in. Will cost about $13,000-$15,000 a year.

There were a few reasons why I didn't go here. First, the campus looked rather bad and dingy. Second, it has lots of focus on mathematics, physics and business, neither of which I was terribly interested in.

Quote:
UNIVERSITY 2 (UNIVERSITY OF GUELPH): About 1 hour and 15 minutes away; mostly all white; pretty good reputation (8th in the country); has co-op but I donít know how good it is; I will be in the top 5% of entering students because of the caliber of students coming into the university; nice buildings; best food in the country; pretty nice residences; high chance of getting a single room; is a university town Ė which I like, even though itís a small town; gets great marks for student satisfaction; nice, green campus; pretty good course offerings; I like their Psychology program too but itís a bit more sciency than UNIVERSITY 1; doesnít have any double major with business if I wanted that option; campus is pretty fun and has a good atmosphere. Will cost about $13,500 - $15,500 a year.

This one I had in mind more than Waterloo because of its focus more towards biology and other natural sciences. Had I not gone to UofT, I probably would've picked this one. The main reason I didn't was that UofT was closer and has a great downtown area for medicine and research.

Quote:
UNIVERSITY 3 (UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN ONTARIO): About 3 hours away; all white, rich and attractive; decent reputation (11th in the country); doesnít have co-op; I will be in the top 20% of entering students because of the caliber of students coming into the university; gorgeous buildings; decent food; nicest residences in the country; very low chance of a single room; is a university town Ė which I like, even though itís a small town; gets great marks for student satisfaction; absolutely gorgeous campus; amazing course offerings; I love their Psychology program because itís very un-sciency; has the double major with Psychology/Business but itíll be longer to graduate Ė six years instead of four, but the business degree is one of the top degrees in the country for business; has a combined Psychology/Business/Law degree that I could get in six years and then I will be a qualified lawyer; campus is very fun and has a reputation for being a ďsemi-party schoolĒ; great atmosphere and school spirit. Will cost $10,400 - $14,500 a year.

This one did look fairly nice but I wanted something that's very much into sciences, specifically biology. Now since you don't exactly care for it being very science-oriented, that would be a plus for you. The only issue would be the six years as in the end, you'll be paying quite a bit more.

Quote:
UNIVERSITY 4 (QUEEN'S UNIVERSITY): About 3.5 hours away; all white, rich, attractive; good reputation (7th in the country); doesnít have co-op; I will be in the top 20% of the entering students because of the caliber of students coming into the university; gorgeous buildings; pretty good food; pretty good residences; very low chance of a single room; is a university town Ė which I like, even though itís a small town; gets great marks for student satisfaction; heard many good things about this school from people who attend; gorgeous campus; pretty good course offerings; their Psychology program is arts-based but a bit more sciency than UNIVERSITY 1 and UNIVERSITY 3 (probably equivalent to UNIVERSITY 2 or a bit more non-sciency); doesnít have the double major with Psychology/Business; campus is very fun and enjoyable; great campus atmosphere and school spirit. Will cost $15,500 a year.

This one probably is the best-looking campus although I didn't exactly care for it because the reputation isn't for what I was very interested in. I had also thought that the marking was quite tough for this one.

Quote:
5)If you were me, which of the four universities would you pick? How would you rank the universities (from most favourite to least favourite) if you were to rank the schools?
University of Guelph
University of Waterloo
Queen's University
University of Western Ontario

Of course my ranking is reflecting what I like, and that is heavy sciences especially biology. So if you're not very fond of programs oriented heavily towards science, then keep that in mind for my ranking.

If I were to rank it in terms of something not very science-oriented then it'd probably be:

University of Western Ontario
University of Waterloo
Queen's University
University of Guelph

I don't consider the reputation to be too much of a big issue in the rankings because all four of these universities have pretty good reputations. Some are a bit better than others but none of them is a complete dump with pathetic reputation.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Which should I pick? - August 4th 2009, 04:08 AM

Yeah, Waterloo was absolutely brutal. Their dorms were...no comment.

I think Western is the best bet for me. If I don't want to do the business, I could solely do a 4 year Honours Psychology degree just the same as I would at another university. However, Western also presents me with the chance of getting a business degree and/or become a lawyer in only six years - which is pretty good, if that's something I want to do. It would be best if I figure out what I want to do beforehand. However, Western offers programs for all three options - business, psychology and law.

SUP BRO.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Which should I pick? - August 4th 2009, 04:50 AM

i know nothing about any of them apart from what you've said.. and it sounds like you have the most enthusiasm for university 3.. so that'd be my pick. it sounds the best out of your options.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Which should I pick? - August 4th 2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Waterloo was absolutely brutal. Their dorms were...no comment.

I think Western is the best bet for me. If I don't want to do the business, I could solely do a 4 year Honours Psychology degree just the same as I would at another university. However, Western also presents me with the chance of getting a business degree and/or become a lawyer in only six years - which is pretty good, if that's something I want to do. It would be best if I figure out what I want to do beforehand. However, Western offers programs for all three options - business, psychology and law.
I agree, Waterloo could do with a make-over.

I know you have interests in business, psychology and law but don't restrict yourself to only those. Take other courses. Your psychology major may require you to take a course in statistics (I'm only saying this because UofT's program requires that). Try taking some sociology and perhaps a philosophy course, as well as an English course. But also take a diverse plate of other ones.

Closed Thread