TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blondiegirl Offline
Blondie Girl
Not a n00b

Name: Blondie Girl

Question Dont know what to study!!! :\ - August 8th 2009, 02:40 PM

Im currentley study for my A2s in sociology, drama and english litreture and i really want to go to university in a year and i know i need to get a headstart and sort out my personal statement and UCAS applications but i have no idea what i want to study and im really stuck.
My strengths are probabaly in english, communication, drama and acting and possibly writing.
Any idea of courses erelated to these i could research, i m hopeless with things like this sorting out my furutre i mean.
Any tips and advice will be very much appreicated. Thankss x

"Fully Alive, More Than Most, Ready To Smile And Love Life!"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Dont know what to study!!! :\ - August 8th 2009, 06:52 PM

Making that big decision about what to study in university is certainly not an easy one because there are just so many factors to consider when attempting to make your decision! Most people try to find a compromise between what they like to do and what will provide them with a solid future. Sometimes, however, that compromise isn't possible and that's when certain decisions must be made.

Think about what you like to do right now. Unfortunately, you are only seventeen years old and deciding what you're going to do for the rest of your life is very difficult to do. Instead of trying to have your entire life planned out, you might want to take a different approach and take things one day at a time. I'm not saying that planning for your future is wrong, because it's not! I've been trying to do that for a while now but end up in a huge confused mess.

What I am saying is that even though it may seem like you don't have a lot of time to figure out what you want to do, the average university student changes his/her mind about three to four times during the course of their undergraduate career. There is room for you to change your mind and switch majors if that's what you need to do. Even if you have to stay in university for a bit longer, who cares? This is your future that we're talking about!

In order to be successful, you need to enjoy what you're doing. A lot of people go into fields like business and medicine because they think that's where the money and prestige is. While that is commonly the case, there is money in any field. In a field like Philosophy, for example, many people would discourage somebody from majoring in that because there "isn't money in the field". However, there is indeed the option of being a lawyer after undergrad or even become a Philosophy professor. What I'm trying to say is that you should choose something based on your interests and not based on how much their salary is. Even business people have the ability to do poorly.

As for how to research, ask yourself: Do you want to live at home for university or live on campus? If your decision is to live at home, your options are significantly less than if you were to live at the university. From there, research the suitable universities. If you're really intent on going to a high ranked university, have a look at some ratings and choose a few from the top of the list. Research is so important in this process. I've spent countless hours on research. Although it has indeed been a tedious process, it was well worth it for me. Look at what programs the university has to offer. If you're going to be living on campus or even if these factors are important to you, consider things like school spirit, overall atmosphere, student services, clubs, sports teams, etc. Each university has so much to offer. You need to make a list of what factors are important to you and then go from there.

All in all, you need to do what you feel is best for you. There will be pressures coming at you full force from all sorts of directions from now on. Learn to live with it. You need to learn how to block out these influences and focus on what you want to do because after all, this is your life. I know you may be worried and a bit afraid and that's normal. This is a big, vital part of your life. Also, you must remember that this is not a decision that could be made over night. It takes a lot of research and a lot of thinking about before you can make that final decision. Know that you are in no rush to, either. You could even switch universities if you attend one and don't like it there. There are always possibilities.

Good luck with everything.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Dont know what to study!!! :\ - August 9th 2009, 11:57 AM

urmm. what about something like journalism or broadcasting? or you could something like english language and communications. if you like acting enough you could apply to drama school or do a degree in drama. i suggest you read up on a few different courses and you'll soon a get a feel for what you think you'd want to study for however many years. don't pick something because it's what other people are saying - make sure you apply for something that you really want to do.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Dont know what to study!!! :\ - August 9th 2009, 10:52 PM

I presume you are from England. Have you thought about going to your local connexions centre? They offer loads advice about uni and different career routes. They could give you lots of information and hopefully support you to make a decision about what you want to do.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Dont know what to study!!! :\ - August 9th 2009, 11:18 PM

I think you aren't as stuck as you think you are. You seem to know your strengths and you seem to be taking courses that fit your strengths. The only question left is, can you be fine taking a career that fits those strengths or would you be interested in exploring careers that focus on your weaknesses?

Closed Thread