TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Silent-Secret Offline
Love your enemies. :D
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Paige

>< German teachers are mean! - August 12th 2009, 01:38 AM

My German teacher gave us six pages of homework on
the second day of school! We had four the first day!
And I don't have any idea what I am doing with it. :S

Well Bleh.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: >< German teachers are mean! - August 12th 2009, 03:34 AM

Hey there,

Sorry to hear about your German teacher! I guess she's really trying to push you guys at the beginning of the school year so that you'll hopefully have some relaxing time at the end of the school year. Have you tried staying before class or after class either of these two days to get help? That's what she gets the hefty pay check for, you know. But really, just let her know you need help and want to come by and I'm sure she'll be happy to have you. Try to go ahead and take care of this issue now before you guys delve to deep into the language. The longer you wait, the harder it may be.

Any specific questions for our German speaking THers? [:

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: >< German teachers are mean! - August 12th 2009, 04:19 AM

Sometimes teachers do that to see who really wants to be in the class or who is going to drop out. She also might be trying to really create a foundation for you to learn on. If you don't understand the basics, then learning the language can be very difficult.
Don't give up! Like Katrina said, don't be afraid to ask for help. If she cares (and it sounds like she does) then she will help you. If you still don't understand, see if they have some sort of peer mentoring system at your school. Use all your resources!

Good luck! I hope you enjoy learning German!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: caitlyn

Re: >< German teachers are mean! - August 12th 2009, 04:36 AM

i know how you feel my german teacher was the same way.. i stopped taking german after like 3 years cuz he was a bad teacher. plus my dad moved to germany and had to learn german he taught me when he came back

...someone asked me if I knew you...
...and a million memories flashed through my mind...
...and I whispered,"not anymore"...

If I could have just one wish, I would wish to wake up everyday to the sound of your breath on my neck, the warmth of your lips on my cheek, the touch of your fingers on my skin, and the feel of your heart beating with mine... Knowing that I could never find that feeling with anyone other than you.

Last edited by depressed-all-the-time; August 14th 2009 at 03:29 AM.
  Send a message via AIM to depressed-all-the-time  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: >< German teachers are mean! - August 12th 2009, 05:26 AM

My German teacher used to be pretty harsh like this as well. Ugh it sucked but it made me a better student. When is it due because my teacher usually gave me a day or two to work on it.

If it is causing you problems do you think you could talk to the teacher about it? I know it might be difficult but if the teacher realizes you are having difficulty he/she might be willing to figure something out to help you get it done.

Another thing, and I know it's not right, sometimes teachers like to pile on the homework in the beginning of the school year to scare away to kids who don't want to work hard. So as school progresses the homework might get a little easier.

I hope this helped and best of luck.

~Jenna~

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: >< German teachers are mean! - August 12th 2009, 05:54 AM

As much as it may be hard on you, you should understand university or college isn't going to be any easier. If you're complaining about this for only one course, then apply that, perhaps with a bit more complaining for all your courses at university or college.

I had some high-school teachers that gave ridiculous amounts of homework (AP-bio and AP-chem). Despite my groaning about it, it actually helped me in university as it prepared me for some hellish workloads.

So as much as you may dislike the course, take it as a sign of how university or college will be. The workload does more than just show you a brief sign of how it will be like later on. It encourages you to possibly work with friends, ask the teacher for some help and be more independent and mature.

I've had a few teachers who did this also at the beginning but not for German courses to either test your current knowledge and to see who is able to survive without begging to so many people for help.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: >< German teachers are mean! - August 12th 2009, 04:26 PM

Jeez! I haven't taken German so I don't know how hard it is but I think if the whole class has this homework then I'm pretty sure you're not going to be the only one that's struggling. If you're worrying about it then you can alway see the teacher before class or look around the net to see if you find any help.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: >< German teachers are mean! - August 12th 2009, 10:23 PM

Hey Paige. [:

You know, you're actually really lucky. I took German for a year when I was 13, and my teacher was terrible. She never gave ANY homework, which might seem nice, but it really slows down your learning. So, honestly, it does suck right now, but it's worth it in the long-run!

Just put up with it for now, it'll be over eventually and you'll have learned a new language.

Good luck!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: >< German teachers are mean! - August 12th 2009, 10:39 PM

my german teacher was horrible!!. he hated me, and i hated his lessons so much i bunked most of them and i regret it now though. i wish i could speak a language, but i dropped out of french, german and latin.

anyhoww.. just try your best with it. i'm sure the work will ease off once you get into the year a bit more.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: >< German teachers are mean! - August 13th 2009, 12:50 PM

Hey!

Just letting you know, you can PM me if you have any questions. I've got 5 years of German under my belt, and even though it's been a little while, I still remember a good bit of it.
As for your teacher, she must just be trying to push you from the start. Trust me, the more you do it, the better you get. My German professor in college would give us 20+ pages to read, and then 5-10 pages to do in the workbook on a regular basis. Just hang in there! It's a lot of fun when you really start learning and being able to speak it well! ^_^

~Emily

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#11 (permalink)) Old
catchphrase Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Marie

Re: >< German teachers are mean! - August 13th 2009, 01:00 PM

6 pages! wow, thats loads!

my german teacher was really lax and gave us no homework at all, didnt help in the exams though...

if you work at it i'm sure it'll pay off and you'll soon speak German brilliantly

Closed Thread