TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stained Dreamer Offline
I will not be treated that way
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Arrow Switching schools? - August 13th 2009, 12:15 AM

I have my whole schedule worked out (high school- i'm a sophomore), so I feel better about that, but I have an honest question....

Firstly, have any of you guys ever switched schools? I know VERY FEW people that have.

Secondly, have you switched into a school where everyone had grown up with each other their whole lives?

Yeah...that's what I'm going into. Any advice on making friends? I've switched before but made a lot of mistakes, so I want this time to be better.

This is what my schedule looks like- this might change your advice a little. (just this semester only)

Earth Science- freshman class
Health/PE 10- sophomore class
Spanish 3- sophomore/jr class
Alg2/Trig- sophomore/jr class

I want a moment to be real
Want to touch things I don't feel
Want to hold on, and feel I belong
And how can the world want me to change?
They're the ones that stay the same
They don't know me, but I'm still here

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Switching schools? - August 13th 2009, 12:21 AM

It might be intimidating to go into a school where you don't know anybody and the rest of the school practically grew up together. One of my best friends [now] dealt with the same thing when she came to my high school. Actually, we were just discussing this last night. She is a fairly shy person but adjusted to high school, even with all of the new people, with ease and is now one of my two best friends.

I would suggest attempting to make friends any other way. Don't think about the fact that the majority of these students grew up together. What does that matter? Just because they grew up together, it doesn't mean that they won't be willing to allow anybody else into their circle of friends.

Don't be afraid to say hello to somebody. What's the worse that can happen? Being friendly is always a good thing. In your gym class, which I'm assuming is females only, you are presented with a good chance to meet girl friends that you could eventually build a solid friendship with. That's not to say that such a friendship can't be formed with somebody in one of your other classes, though. [:

Getting involved with the school is a great way to make friends. Are you athletic? Joining a sport team is an awesome way to get involved and meet people. If you're not the athletic type, there is bound to be councils, committees and other kinds of clubs available to you. Find something you're interested in and run with it. Not only will you be doing something good for the school community but you'll also meet a ton of new people who share your interests.

Remember to be yourself. People really appreciate that as opposed to somebody who acts fake just to make friends or be popular. If somebody doesn't like you, it's their problem. Don't change for anybody. I'm sure you'll be just fine [:

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
love2laugh Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Switching schools? - August 13th 2009, 12:53 AM

I did that last year. Your lucky your transferring now instead of in the middle like I did. And yeah, the school I went to was HUGE. I had gone to a small private school before, so it was a big change. And all of them had grown up together. I found the best way to make friends was to befriend one person you really like, and they'll introduce you to all their friends and then you naturally fit into a group. The first week was the hardest for me, but after that I got used to it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Drop me a PM anytime, about anything!
I would love to talk to you!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Switching schools? - August 13th 2009, 01:09 AM

Ugh. I want to switch schools now to a public school, but it's probably too late to do that...my dad was such a procrastinator, and now I can't go.

However, because I have no problem with making conversation with people I don't even know, I think I would fit in fine if I went to a new school. Why? Because I always know someone we both know, and then we can share that in common.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SnowKitten Offline
SnowLeopard/Caracal/Otter/Fox
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Snow

Re: Switching schools? - August 13th 2009, 03:01 AM

I just want to say, that the longest I've stayed at a school is 2.5 yrs.
its not that bad because everyone treats you nice.

Click my eggs and help my dragons grow! :3
  Send a message via AIM to SnowKitten Send a message via Yahoo to SnowKitten  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Switching schools? - August 13th 2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarislife519 View Post
Firstly, have any of you guys ever switched schools? I know VERY FEW people that have.
Yes, I switched between a few schools.

Quote:
Secondly, have you switched into a school where everyone had grown up with each other their whole lives?
Not really. They were mostly public schools so you're bound to have the group that's close together and are good long-time buddies but then you have the yearly new kids. In between you have the students who are not as new to the school.

Quote:
Yeah...that's what I'm going into. Any advice on making friends? I've switched before but made a lot of mistakes, so I want this time to be better.
Don't attempt to appeal to the likes of others if it means changing yourself (I'd only recommend to do this if you're very skilled at it but even then it still carries risks). Also, don't be intimidated. Some kids may have known each other longer than they have known you but that's no reason to be intimidated. Surely at the school where you previously went to you had your share of new kids. Just go in confident, do your work and see who you like then try to meet them. It's something that gets very hyped up but it's nothing that you haven't already faced.

If you're afraid then think what is the worse that could happen by attempting to talk to someone? You could get turned down but who cares? That's not going to nor should it affect you too much.

Quote:
Earth Science- freshman class
Health/PE 10- sophomore class
Spanish 3- sophomore/jr class
Alg2/Trig- sophomore/jr class
Try to make some friends in classes you struggle with, especially with smarter friends so they can help you and perhaps in something else you can help them to return the favour. Gym is usually a fun time to mingle with people, perhaps play on a team of someone you'd like to meet or let others see how good you are at a certain sport.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

Re: Switching schools? - August 13th 2009, 04:12 AM

i'm currently in my 6th school, every school full of kids who had known each other since preschool. to get through it you just have to put a big smile on your face, and put ur best foot forward. don't let the already formed cliques get to you, or you'll never make it through. you just have to keep your confidence high and do what you want to do, and not change yourself for them. and don't stoop to their level either, treat them right, and they'll come around, i promise.

Closed Thread