TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BroadwayJunkie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Not sure if this post belongs here but.....HELP!!! EMERGENCY!!!! - August 15th 2009, 09:45 AM

My best friend and I live together. We plan on getting married someday simply for tax reasons only...(and benefits of course)

He works at a gas station. His mother is bankrupt and collecting unemployment checks even though she STILL has 2 jobs! (How she got around THAT, I have no idea....but she did and we are about to turn her in for credit fraud)

Mischa is my best friend and he tells me that his mother cosigned for his student loan with Salli Mae....well since she's bankrupt, they've been bugging Mischa for the money when um....HE DOESNT HAVE IT. He works at a gas station, he pays rent, utilities and groceries until I get a job (which I think I might have found one) and I tell him, "Go bankrupt then. Sign for bankruptcy" and he says, "It wont erase my debt..." and I said, "If they dont call your mom and bug her about it, then they shouldnt call you to bug you about it either! Who do they think they are?"

So they wont contact his mother because she's bankrupt yet she's the cosigner....If they bug him KNOWING that he's bankrupt, KNOWING he's broke, then they should bug his mother too because she cosigned and BY LAW, the cosigner HAS to...without a doubt...pay back the loan regardless if they can afford it or not.

Well he got a letter saying that he's about to default on his student loan.....and if he defaults, they can sue him....they can take out a portion of his wages....

WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT THIS???? Mischa refuses to turn over his mom like that. Personally, I think she's screwed her kid over enough, I think its time for Mischa to screw his mother over for the first time.
Is there ANY other way we can deal with this or get rid of it? We just wanna live our lives without anyone bugging us for f-cking money all the time.
ANY advice on how to make them go away would be EXTREMELY appreciated....
Thank you!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
theatregeek Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Allie

Re: Not sure if this post belongs here but.....HELP!!! EMERGENCY!!!! - August 15th 2009, 02:54 PM

Do the legal thing.

Also I know you didn't ask about this, but getting married for tax reasons? What happens when one of you meets someone you actually have feelings for?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BroadwayJunkie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Not sure if this post belongs here but.....HELP!!! EMERGENCY!!!! - August 15th 2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatregeek View Post
Do the legal thing.

Also I know you didn't ask about this, but getting married for tax reasons? What happens when one of you meets someone you actually have feelings for?

We've been asked that before but honestly, thats nobody else's business but ours.

We are just looking for the easiest way to fix this problem =(

(#4 (permalink)) Old
w8less Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Not sure if this post belongs here but.....HELP!!! EMERGENCY!!!! - August 16th 2009, 01:43 AM

my only advice: don't get married until all of the money stuff is permanently done with. if you do, then you're both screwed.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
w8less Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Not sure if this post belongs here but.....HELP!!! EMERGENCY!!!! - August 16th 2009, 01:43 AM

oh yeah, and try going to like, a financial planner or something. they'll be able to give you the best advice.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Not sure if this post belongs here but.....HELP!!! EMERGENCY!!!! - August 16th 2009, 01:50 AM

Do the legal thing, yes.

My mother got caught cashing her unemployment checks while she was working.

NOT good.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Not sure if this post belongs here but.....HELP!!! EMERGENCY!!!! - August 16th 2009, 02:06 AM

He could go talk to a bankruptcy lawyer and see how all that works. I know my brothe filed bankruptcy and all of his 'debt' got cleared because he basically had nothing. (But I am not sure how it all worked out etc)

Also, bnkruptcy pretty much screws up your credit for the next seven years(at least where I live but I think its the same everywhere in the USA). So, if he were to consider bankruptcy he should sit down with a lawyer (they usually talk to you for free to explain it but they have been known to charge) and really see if that is the best option.

The best thing to try and do is call the loan company and talk to them about making payments; he should explain his situation and see if they can work anything out with him. Places like that have been known to be semi-nice about it; as long as their getting paid something they will be fine.

However, completely ignoring it is not good because it will mess his credit up and messed up credit is never a good thing.

Best of luck.

~Jenna~

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread