TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alvin719 Offline
Not a n00b

Unhappy Short Kid going to highschool... - August 17th 2009, 05:05 PM

In a week or so, school's about to start and it's going to be my first year of highschool . The other day I was walking around the school to explore. I saw some people that go to that school and I was like "woah!". It seemed like they are in college or something. They are all so tall and old. And me? I'm just some short freshman going to highschool. I'm worried that I will be picked on and stuff because who I am and my size. What should I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 17th 2009, 05:14 PM

Hey Alvin,

This is a common worry amongst incoming freshman. I knew a ton of people in my grade who were absolutely terrified of going to high school for one reason or another; many of whom were on the shorter side. Some high school juniors and seniors do indeed look like they could be in college but don't let that scare you or intimidate you.

Like I said, a lot of my friends were terrified to come to high school. But do you want to know something? Nothing happened to them. Nothing really happened to anybody in my grade, actually. Just be yourself and stick close to your good friends. High school is supposed to be an enjoyable experience. Don't spend your time worrying about the negatives when high school has so much to offer.

Getting involved with your school will allow you to befriend students of all ages in your school. When I was in grade nine, I got really involved with my school and ended up joining three councils and three sports teams. Not only do I have some President and Captain positions lined up for my senior year this coming September, but I knew a ton of seniors when I was only a freshman.

Don't worry so much and try to enjoy high school [: I'm sure you'll be fine.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Alvin719 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 17th 2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Hey Alvin,

This is a common worry amongst incoming freshman. I knew a ton of people in my grade who were absolutely terrified of going to high school for one reason or another; many of whom were on the shorter side. Some high school juniors and seniors do indeed look like they could be in college but don't let that scare you or intimidate you.

Like I said, a lot of my friends were terrified to come to high school. But do you want to know something? Nothing happened to them. Nothing really happened to anybody in my grade, actually. Just be yourself and stick close to your good friends. High school is supposed to be an enjoyable experience. Don't spend your time worrying about the negatives when high school has so much to offer.

Getting involved with your school will allow you to befriend students of all ages in your school. When I was in grade nine, I got really involved with my school and ended up joining three councils and three sports teams. Not only do I have some President and Captain positions lined up for my senior year this coming September, but I knew a ton of seniors when I was only a freshman.

Don't worry so much and try to enjoy high school [: I'm sure you'll be fine.
okay thanks, but I've heard there are a lot of bullies in high school =/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 17th 2009, 05:36 PM

There will be bullies no matter where you go. People bully for a reason. A lot of the time, bullies are really insecure and putting other people down makes themselves feel better about who they are. Some bullies are also bullied elsewhere, which results in them taking out their anger and frustration out on other students. There are several reasons for bullying and you should remember these reasons if you do have the unfortunate pleasure of experiencing bullying.

If you are being bullied, don't show them that it bothers you. Bullies want a reaction. By not responding to their hurtful behaviour, no matter how much you may be killing inside, they will get bored and move on to somebody different. Staying close to your good friends is an awesome thing to do because they can be there to support you if you were to experience something like this. Remember, there are also teachers and guidance counselors there for you if you ever need anything.

SUP BRO.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Alvin719 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 17th 2009, 08:39 PM

wow ok thank you very much for your help I appreciate it

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stained Dreamer Offline
I will not be treated that way
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 17th 2009, 10:58 PM

I'm short too...and I'm a girl so I see girls that look like they're seniors when they're freshmen (i'm a sophomore this year and I don't think I look like it) and that's really intimidating. I understand what you're going through because I'm going to a new high school this year. My best advice is to not overreact, but don't be afraid to be nervous. You should be in mostly freshmen classes (if not all freshmen classes) so you won't be around the huge kids much (there can be some huge people in your grade but you know your grade so it's not as scary). =)

I want a moment to be real
Want to touch things I don't feel
Want to hold on, and feel I belong
And how can the world want me to change?
They're the ones that stay the same
They don't know me, but I'm still here

(#7 (permalink)) Old
FastForward2012 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 17th 2009, 11:11 PM

Hey I'm short too! I was 4 foot 11 as a freshman. When I walked into my classes, all of the other freshman looked like Seniors. It was crazy! But it was okay. They didn't pick on me at all. They were really nice. Being short doesn't mean anything. You'll be fine

To Write Love On Her Arms<3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Alvin719 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 17th 2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGiveUpHope View Post
Hey I'm short too! I was 4 foot 11 as a freshman. When I walked into my classes, all of the other freshman looked like Seniors. It was crazy! But it was okay. They didn't pick on me at all. They were really nice. Being short doesn't mean anything. You'll be fine
Yeah, thats fine for a girl. But most guys aren't short

(#9 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 18th 2009, 12:17 AM

I'm a senior this year and there are tons of people who are taller than me, even sophomores and juniors.

Honestly, my height has never really been an issue for me. I just do my own thing and no one bothers me. Although, I cannot stand people loitering in the hallways between classes because it can cause major hallway jams and I usually have to push through people to get to where I need to go. Try not to worry about this issue so much and be yourself. I doubt anyone will push you around because you are short. You will be fine!

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 18th 2009, 12:28 AM

I was 5'0 all through High School and for the most part, most taunts made were by friends just kidding around. I learned to be cool with being short, it's become a staple of sorts.
Even if people did give me a hard time about being short, it didn't bother me. They'd tell me I'm short and I'd congratulate them on stating the obvious. Try not to worry too much about how people will see you, just be yourself. It sounds cliche but it really does make things easier instead of trying to be what you think people like.

Eventually you'll be a senior and going, "Wow, those freshman look tiny!" Even I got to do that my senior year. Hang in there, you'll be OK. =]
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 18th 2009, 04:10 AM

You probably will get picked on, but don't worry about it. Its normal to be your height at your age.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 18th 2009, 12:19 PM

Aww, there are definitely some smaller people everywhere you go! Don't worry about it. And as for bullies, I graduated high school and attended the same one all four years, and I never once saw someone get shoved into a locker or shoved into a trashcan or shoved into whatever by a senior. Typically, the seniors aren't really out to get you as much as everyone says - when it was my year, we didn't really care about the freshmen one way or another. We had our own lives (applying for college, graduating high school, etc) to worry about. (; So, honestly, I think you're going to be okay. Find a club or something that interests you and join it so that you have a group that you're comfortable in.

Good luck with being a freshy!

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 18th 2009, 01:36 PM

Hey There,

I definitely agree with what everyone else has been saying. Going to high school is a scary experience because it's new, and you aren't sure what to expect, but I don't think you should have any reason to worry. I knew a kid who went into high school and he was a tiny tot, and my brother is quite small as well and is going into high school. If you get picked on because of your height, I would guess it's from your friends messing around. I have never seen an older person come after a smaller kid just because of height.
In my past three years of high school, like Katrina, I have never seen any one shoved into a locker, trashcan, or anything really.
Seniors aren't too scary. We have so many other things to worry about. It's true that we sometimes find freshmen annoying, but we don't go after them.
Join a club or a sport and find people that are into the same things you are. High school is what you make it. It can be a bad experience or a good one. I'm sure it will be the time of your life though!
I think the hardest thing for you will be lunch. I know it was for me. Deciding where to sit and all, the lunch room can be a scary place, but try to stick with the kids that are in your class. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.
I wish you the best of luck, and have fun!!!!!!

Take care,

(#14 (permalink)) Old
thesmallcheese Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 25th 2009, 03:05 AM

I'm sorta on the opposite spectrum. I'm a tall girl. When I entered high school I was around 5'8" and lanky. I stood taller than all of my friends and a lot of my peers. People occasionally commented on my height, (as they do now) but never in a malicious way. You might be used to people saying "Wow, how short are you?" or whatever, but I think it was worse in middle school. Same for bullies; there are too many kids in high school for someone to single you out just for your height, and most kids are over that by high school.

Bottom line. Don't let yourself feel different just because you may be a little shorter than others. People pick up on how you carry yourself, if you seem insecure you're an easy target. And if people do comment on your height turn it into a joke. Someone says "Boy, you're short," and you say "Huh! I never noticed." Do this with a smile on your face and laugh. If you say it over sarcastically they'll think you're being rude. btw, the only reason people say such stupid things is because they can't think of anything else to say, or they haven't yet learned how to censor their thoughts. Don't let it get to ya!

(#15 (permalink)) Old
threatening2154 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Short Kid going to highschool... - August 26th 2009, 03:22 AM

i don't see why anyone would make fun of someone for being short. im 6'3 and 16, and i dont ever think about making fun of shorter people than me, considering most are. just remember, you're still going through puberty and will grow some more.

Closed Thread