TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thesmallcheese Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 25th 2009, 02:45 AM

I need to study for and take two AP tests this year independently. I know I'm taking AP Psychology for one, but am not sure about the other. Has anyone taken an AP class that they felt had a somewhat less difficult test? Here are my options..

-Music Theory (have some music experience, but not in the last 2 years)
-Biology (I have taken as a normal class, and had no trouble with.)
-Chemistry (ditto^)
-Macroeconomics. (seems interesting, and easy to learn)
-Statistics (Algebra and Geometry were no problem, though Pre Calculus... is)

If you have any advice on the AP exams/studying/experience please let me know. Thanks for your help!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 25th 2009, 02:49 AM

Do you intend on intensely studying these courses? Mind you, this is equivalent to roughly a college course, so you need to make sure you study it as if you are taking the college course. None of them are as easy as you really make it seem, so make sure you study hard for them. I can see Chem and Bio being really hard, but that's just because I'm not good at either subject.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Im alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Ill keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 25th 2009, 04:02 AM

For me the easiest one was AP Spanish because that is my native language.
But if I had to pick from the ones you listed I'd go for Statistics, I took Honors Geometry and Algebra and I felt they were easy.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 25th 2009, 04:24 AM

Taking Honors Bio or Chem does not even come close to an AP version of it. They are both incredibly hard, I studied for chem with a friend of mine no class, and we both got 4's. And this was after months of reading the book, notes, worksheets, etc. It was insane. I am taking AP Bio class this year and it's hard as hell so far. If english isn't your first language, AP [your language] is going to be a breeze. My easiest AP was US History by far. I took the class, barely studied anything, basically failed an essay (out of 3) on the exam and got a 5. Did excellent on the multiple choice though. AP Social Studies exams are really easy to me (US, Euro, Gov), but I don't know for other people.

Any AP Science exam is going to be really hard. You will need to crazy study, even more than you would for something like AP Calc.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#5 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 25th 2009, 10:33 AM

I've never personally taken an AP class (don't exist in my country. xD) but I would say go with whatever subject you're best at. They're all going to be reasonably the same standard, it's all down to personal skill. Someone might find one subject easy, yet you might find it insanely hard. And visa versa.

Though, I have heard bad things about AP microeconomics, but that may just be the people I know. [:

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Wannabe Realist
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 25th 2009, 11:27 AM

If your school offers AP Human Geography, take it. The textbook is really small comparatively and my teacher said he considers it the easiest AP course. It's a really great way to boost your GPA

how nice- to feel nothing but still get credit for being alive
kurt vonnegut

(#7 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 25th 2009, 01:03 PM

Are those your options? I took AP Music Theory and did well. But I took it as a class, and the teacher was wonderful.

If you have other options, I'd really suggest an AP government or history course (AP Euro was awesome.) I also really enjoyed my AP art courses. I always wanted to take AP Human Geo.. but it was never offered. <_<

ANYWAYS! Out of your options, I'd go with music theory IF you like music and are willing to work hard at it. It can be tough! The plus side is... if you're doing independent study you won't have to sing in front of classmates!

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#8 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 25th 2009, 01:37 PM

Take AP Biology. AP statistics is good if you are innately good at math and are willing to memorize. Deriving the formulas takes some precalculus. I took precalc and AP stat together and I saw a lot of common threads. AP music theory is supposedly the one of the hardest AP's (same with Chemistry). No idea about Macroeconomics...

Biology is probably one of your best bets =]

(#9 (permalink)) Old
mikeeco Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 25th 2009, 01:41 PM

If you are taking them independently, do not limit your self to that list.

Remember, AP classes are "college level" courses, so none of them are easy. Having said that, some of them are easier to do independently. Psychology is definitely one of those. In the sciences Environmental Science is the easiest to self study for. I would not recommend either Bio or Chem, they are both difficult enough with the class and would be very hard on your own. Human Geography would be another great own on your own. Some people do languages on their own, but usually when they are native speakers of them, Both Micro and Macro econ are possibilities but you would have to study hard.

Most of the ones I mentioned are semester classes and this is one thing that will make it easier.

Get your hands on some of the past exams and try them out. See which one you could answer the easiest without studying anything, and then pick that one. This way you will be picking one that you already have some natural aptitude for.

Mike - Total Registration, LLC
TotalRegistration.net - Helping high schools simplify the AP exam registration process by registering students for the exams online.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 25th 2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost-myself View Post
Take AP Biology. AP statistics is good if you are innately good at math and are willing to memorize. Deriving the formulas takes some precalculus. I took precalc and AP stat together and I saw a lot of common threads. AP music theory is supposedly the one of the hardest AP's (same with Chemistry). No idea about Macroeconomics...

Biology is probably one of your best bets =]
I don't think so, AP Bio class is ridiculous, really. Looking at my book right now, there is 55 chapters we need to cover. We have 135 days of the class, so we are going to do a chapter every two day. We have to do 3 short essays every weekend, plus we have a huge test every week. We need to stay after 3/5 days of the week to do labs, attendance after school is mandatory to finish your lab.

Maybe it's my teacher, but my class is definitely going to be hard.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#11 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 25th 2009, 02:21 PM

Bio isn't that bad. It's a lot of learning, but it's not that much problem solving. Can you absorb a lot of information? If you're self learning, though, taking bio is depriving yourself because you aren't doing to do any of the labs.. seems like a waste of time.

Chem is actually hard... I think you will not only miss out on the lab experience, but you will not understand that much. It's not like high school chem.

AP Stats is a lot of number crunching. Are you good at remembering techniques and keeping your numbers in line? If you're making a lot of careless mistakes in precalc then I would shy away from, but do not shy away from AP calc if they have it at your school. Universities will take that credit.

I would not self-study music theory because it seems like you should be in a class with instruments and a teacher to feel it.

If I had to self-study for something, I'd do a humanities where you need to read a book and learn the material. Any history sounds good. Econ is kinda hard, so maybe AP Euro? AP Art History? AP World, govt? Something where most of the learning comes from book.

APs are not easy, by any means. Especially if you're alone. The only ones I self-studied for were AP design and drawing. The rest, I needed my teachers

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#12 (permalink)) Old
CherriesBlossom Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Katie

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 25th 2009, 04:01 PM

ive heard that AP macroeconomics are a cake walk.
stats are also pretty easy, and im horrible at math so thats saying soemthing!
  Send a message via AIM to CherriesBlossom  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 26th 2009, 08:19 PM

It all depends on your strengths and the teacher... some teachers can make an AP a breeze while others can make it a nightmare.

I'd focus on the reputation of the teacher more than the subject.... but also, think about what classes you'll be taking in college, or what class you'd like to NOT have to take in college. I took AP Calc because I wasn't going into a math major and didn't want to have to take any more math classes in college.

A tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 26th 2009, 08:41 PM

Well if you did well in regular bio and are planning to study that for a major it may be a good choice.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
thesmallcheese Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 27th 2009, 12:29 AM

Thanks everyone! I think we will all have different perspectives on this because we all have different strengths. So, I think I'll probably have to go to the bookstore and take a look through the AP books.

And just as a validation, I'm usually not the kind of kid to look for the easy class (not that I'm expecting any AP class to be easy.. but I really need to get at least a 3 on both tests).

SO, this thread can be closed now. Thanks again, all.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Easiest AP(Advanced Placement) class? - August 27th 2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmallcheese View Post
Thanks everyone! I think we will all have different perspectives on this because we all have different strengths. So, I think I'll probably have to go to the bookstore and take a look through the AP books.

And just as a validation, I'm usually not the kind of kid to look for the easy class (not that I'm expecting any AP class to be easy.. but I really need to get at least a 3 on both tests).

SO, this thread can be closed now. Thanks again, all.
All right! Good luck coming to a decision. And I hope the class goes okay for you. [:

Thread closed.

Closed Thread