TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kupo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Did I make the right choice? - August 29th 2009, 10:20 AM

CONFLICT:
It's my Senior Year coming up around the corner and I've found out my classes. I had a hard time deciding between keeping Spanish 3 or dropping it in favor of Yearbook. I've decided to drop Yearbook and went to my counselor recently and changed it. But then..

HESITATION/LIMITATIONS:
But now I'm feeling kind of nervous, second-thought nervousness. I looked back and asked myself. "Did I make the right decision..? I think I did the wrong decision.." The reason why I'm like that it's because I'm worried how this is going to affect me college wise. Although I'm not sure what I want to be when I grow up, I'd want to keep my options open in the UC/CSU departments. I've had three D's, which makes me ineligible to go to a UC/CSU unless I retake it. Right now I'm currently retaking first semester of Chemistry. I'm also trying to tell my teacher to reconsider a D in English, and the third one I'm not sure, maybe Geometry Online, but that's unlikely.

WHY IS IT A PROBLEM TO ME?:

I want to be able to get a good, stable job that pays, has good benefits. I'm thinking of having a career in the Police/Fire Department because of the pays and benefits, A career in Health for the same reason, A career in some art (graphic design, photography, culinary, etc.), Not sure about the pay/benefits on this, though. and last, but not least, the Military. It's a stable job, It pays a lot, and after working 20 Years, I'll be able to retire young with pension, but then I'd have to commit a lot of my life away from my "home area", my family, my friends, etc.

WHY I MADE THE DECISION TO JOIN YEARBOOK?:
The reason why I chose to take Yearbook was because my friend told me I should be "real" to my college, If I decide to go to one. She told me I shouldn't take Spanish 3, If I wasn't going to do anything relating to Spanish such as Journalism or anything that makes it a good tool. She said to take Yearbook because I'd enjoy the class because I like photography and graphic design.

I need help. T_____T

(#2 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe

Name: olivia

Re: Did I make the right choice? - August 29th 2009, 12:40 PM

Hm. Well. You should do what makes you feel most comfortable.
If you were going to just get another D in Span 3 it's probably better that you're in Yearbook.
However, I have to respectfully disagree with your friend.
I can see that argument being used for AP Spanish or something but...foreign languages up critical thinking and help you out in English (because of roots and those sorts of things). (Also, this is coming from a person in Spanish 5)
I'm not trying to make you regret your decision. But, consider it, for yourself, again if you'd like (or if you can even change it at this point). Also, for the UCs there is always CC for 2 years and then a transfer in.
If you can't change it then don't take it as a negative. Look at it as just more time to improve those other grades you have to make up.

Live and let live.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Did I make the right choice? - August 30th 2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupo View Post

WHY IS IT A PROBLEM TO ME?:

I want to be able to get a good, stable job that pays, has good benefits. I'm thinking of having a career in the Police/Fire Department because of the pays and benefits, A career in Health for the same reason, A career in some art (graphic design, photography, culinary, etc.), Not sure about the pay/benefits on this, though. and last, but not least, the Military. It's a stable job, It pays a lot, and after working 20 Years, I'll be able to retire young with pension, but then I'd have to commit a lot of my life away from my "home area", my family, my friends, etc.
In first-year college or university, you're not going to be specializing in anything simply because it's all introductory courses. So take a diverse set in your first-year. From there you'll be able to hopefully figure out what you want, maybe you'll figure that out in second-year. There's no need to figure out what you want to do and have that carved in stone in high school.

For a career in health care, you can try to go for anything from a simple medical assistant to registered nurse to doctor (PhD, PsyD, M.D.) to surgeon and so forth.

For a career in graphic design, photography or culinary arts, it's not an easy field. It's a field where either you make it or you don't. If you're spectacular at one of them already and you want to go for that, then do so but keep a back-up plan in mind.

Quote:
WHY I MADE THE DECISION TO JOIN YEARBOOK?:
The reason why I chose to take Yearbook was because my friend told me I should be "real" to my college, If I decide to go to one. She told me I shouldn't take Spanish 3, If I wasn't going to do anything relating to Spanish such as Journalism or anything that makes it a good tool. She said to take Yearbook because I'd enjoy the class because I like photography and graphic design.
If your marks aren't very high, then you may want to perhaps take some easier courses. A yearbook course could be a lot easier than an advanced language course.

If you don't intend to go to college or university (or some trade-school), then you're limiting yourself greatly to having a steady, well-paying job. Nowadays you need a college or university degree for many jobs. I'm not certain if you'll need one for a police officer or fire fighter but I'm sure that having one would make your job a lot easier, especially for a police officer, such as having some knowledge in law, sociology, etc... .

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kupo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Did I make the right choice? - August 30th 2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
In first-year college or university, you're not going to be specializing in anything simply because it's all introductory courses. So take a diverse set in your first-year. From there you'll be able to hopefully figure out what you want, maybe you'll figure that out in second-year. There's no need to figure out what you want to do and have that carved in stone in high school.

If your marks aren't very high, then you may want to perhaps take some easier courses. A yearbook course could be a lot easier than an advanced language course.

If you don't intend to go to college or university (or some trade-school), then you're limiting yourself greatly to having a steady, well-paying job. Nowadays you need a college or university degree for many jobs. I'm not certain if you'll need one for a police officer or fire fighter but I'm sure that having one would make your job a lot easier, especially for a police officer, such as having some knowledge in law, sociology, etc... .
When I meant "not going to a college" I meant like If I decide to go take up Police/Fire Dept. then why should I go somewhere like UC Berkeley? or If I go to Military, I'm probably not going to go to college since I'll be training and serving whatever branch I join.

Although I can probably enter a college as an "undecided" it's going to be hard because your presented with a diverse amount of courses that might be hard. It's also going to be stressful knowing you have a short time limiting with the choice of "now or never".

Would taking Yearbook be good in the long run? or should I just take Spanish or another elective like Health Career? Ugh.. this is so frustrating.

How do people already know what they want to be in life..?

If I don't get to attend a UC/CSU would my life be over..?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Did I make the right choice? - August 30th 2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Although I can probably enter a college as an "undecided" it's going to be hard because your presented with a diverse amount of courses that might be hard. It's also going to be stressful knowing you have a short time limiting with the choice of "now or never".
It doesn't really matter what you enter college as: undecided, health care, engineering, journalism, etc... . It only matters in your second to third year, mostly the third year though.

You're right on the time constraints, however, university is nothing like high school. Imagine anytime when you asked your teacher to explain something and either they danced around it, didn't explain it or their explanations didn't make sense to you or they led to you asking more questions and being stuck again. The professors don't hold a mere Bachelor's, they hold a doctorate, they've published research and a good amount of them wrote/write university-level books. The point is, although there is the time-constraint, you're not going to have too much trouble figuring out what you want by third year. Most places want you to decide by second year so if you know by then, then go and declare your program of study. But if not, hopefully you've narrowed down your field and can decide in third-year.

Quote:
Would taking Yearbook be good in the long run? or should I just take Spanish or another elective like Health Career? Ugh.. this is so frustrating.
Since you mentioned your grades aren't too good, I would take a course that is fairly easy and that you'd have some success in getting a good mark in.

You mentioned an interest in health care so perhaps you can take health career? I'm not familiar with what health career is, I can only guess it's a careers course dedicated to health care (I never had health career at my school though).

Quote:
How do people already know what they want to be in life..?
Some people know right from the bat. I have some friends who were in high-school with me and are in university, and from around grade 9, they knew what they wanted, cardiology as they had family members have to see cardiosurgeons for some obvious reasons.

But others don't really know what they want. I was all over the place, I thought something in health care may be nice, something in forensics, something in pharmacuticals, I had teaching as a last resort, etc... . I wanted to do psychology in high-school but my school didn't offer a true psychology course so it wasn't until 1st year as a summer course that I took first-year psych. and got an amazing mark in that I realized I liked it.

I was always a fan of biology because it was interesting to see how things worked. Psychology led me to combine biology and psychology to lead to neurology or neuroscience. But in the back of my mind, I do and still love pathology or infectious diseases.

To map out my changes in first-year, I flopped between biophysics to pharmacuticals to double major math and bio. to double major bio and chem. to perhaps dabbling a bit in computer science to enjoying 1st year English (books were good, prof was a bitch), etc... .

Point is, you don't need to know exactly what you want. You don't need to nor should you devote one day to thinking what you want to do for the rest of your life. You cant really know because you may not understand much of the academic topics.

Closed Thread