TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Horrors from the 1st day of school! - August 31st 2009, 09:16 PM

What's the worst 'first-day-back-at-school' day you ever had?

I'll tell you mine. It's really embarrassing.

It was freshman orientation day. It all started out fine enough: I carpooled up to school with my friend, and I was feeling confident. A little nervous, but pretty good. As long as I stuck by her, nothing would go wrong, and I'd have someone to talk to and sit with on the first day. We go into the auditorium to have a meeting, and everything's fine. But when we went to homeroom, things got bad. REALLY bad.

It was really hot in this room, and I started to feel nauseous. While the teacher was in the middle of an hour-long welcome speech, I shot my hand up and said, in a really high and wimpy voice, "I don't feel really good!" and they had to get a sophomore to lead me to the bathroom. I was sweating and panting and when we got close to the bathroom, I kept chanting,"thank god...thank god..." and the sophomore must've thought I was an overreactive, schizophrenic freak or something.

Then, I had to go to the nurse because I had a little...'accident.' I was crying and all, and the nurse kept saying, "Aww, you're the first person this year to be sent to the nurse!" Which made me feel even worse. Then, when I got back upstairs, I remembered that I had left my purse in my homeroom, and I forgot what homeroom I was in. Another sophomore had to keep leading me around and find the right room, and all the kids in each homeroom we visited saw me crying.

That was probably the most embarrassing day of my life.

Anyone wanna share? :P

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Horrors from the 1st day of school! - August 31st 2009, 09:34 PM

I started high school (I am in the UK so I was 11) on crutches with a broken leg in a plaster cast. I didn't know anyone and my form room was upstairs which took me half an hour to get up and the lift was broken.

I just wanted to blend into the crowd but that just didn't happen. We all gathered in the hall and we got called out in alphabetical order into our form class, I was in the first form class to be called out so everyone got to see me hop on crutches up to the front of the hall with the rest of my class and the teacher waited for me to get to the front before calling the next name so everyone was staring at me and wondering what was taking so long for me to get up to the front. So straight from the start everyone had noticed me.

I got a note to get out of class 10 mins early to avoid the crowds which made me stand out more because I would have to put my hand up and ask if I could leave. I also was allowed to take someone with me to carry my bag, I didn't know anyone so I just chose the person next to me, she just walked off and left me on my own trying to get down the stairs. Next time someone offered to go with me but she walked off too, in the end everyone wanted to be my friend to get out of class 10 mins early and no one helped me with my bag.

It took me a few weeks to make friends and figure out who was just using me and who was genuine.

Oh and by the end of the day no one new my name and everyone knew me as Hop-Along. That stuck until I was 14/15.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Horrors from the 1st day of school! - August 31st 2009, 10:00 PM

i luckily haven't had any really bad or embarassing first days yet.. although i'm starting sixth form college in a few weeks so i guess theres always time to make a fool of myself! lol

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Re: Horrors from the 1st day of school! - August 31st 2009, 10:34 PM

Nikki, that is a very very bad first day of school V sorry that happened to you. I was going to say something comforting but can't think of anything. Forgive me.

Today, which is not yet over, was the worst day of my entire life. I'm not prone to exaggeration (much), and so it really was. It wasn't that anything embarrassing occured. (I doubt I'd care much if it did, since I'm resigned to not having friends these next two years).
I am a junior, but I've spent to last 10 years (i.e. life as I know it) in a very small, sheltered, "posh" (would be the British word) private girls' school. That alone isn't enough to make someone incapable of dealing with life, but for whatever reason I am.

The academic stress and workload this year will be greater than anything I could've imagined (literally) at my old school. My old school was supposed to be academically rigorous; it was not. There were three classes a day, usually, and a free, and it was incredibly laid back. I cannot stress how nice and calm and casual and familiar it was, nor can I properly describe it.

For the next two years (starting today) I will have 7 classes a day, two of which are AP (this year) and all of which freak me out. The kids are different from.. anyting I was familiar with, the teachers are a slightly different sort, the building is huge (really massive, I'll never not get lost there) as opposed to the beautiful four or five buildings that I'm used to, which are easy to navigate and spread out in a beautiful campus.

By the end of the day I was sweaty, exhausted (mentally and emotionally), crying, and just unable to cope. If life is like this when life takes place anywhere other than my old school, then I'm fucked.

I literally can't imagine how I'll get all the work done and not fail any classes. I spent lunch in a bathroom stall texting my best (and only) friend who still attends my old school. I don't know anyone (basically). I haven't made new friends since lower school (age 10). I kept wanting to cry all day. It's ridiculous. Life has I know it has ended.

With that pathetic and melodramatic phrase I'll end the post, which is much too long. lol. my apologies.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I miss my best and only friend (who's been a close friend since 5th grade and my best friend since 8th) much more than I thought I would. We see each other six days a week (school and an extracurricular we happen to share on Saturdays) during the acamemic year, which will now only be one day a week.

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

Last edited by emerson; August 31st 2009 at 10:56 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LittleMsFOB Offline
"The short, odd one"
Average Joe

Re: Horrors from the 1st day of school! - September 1st 2009, 09:45 PM

I always seem to do something to humiliate myself on the first day every time i go to a new school (6th and 9th). I got completely lost in 6th, ended up going to the ESL room and some lady had to help me find my class. I was really embarassed and thought i was gonna cry lol. and then today i went to the wrong class, so i had to go into the right class 15 min late i'm such a dork hahaha

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Horrors from the 1st day of school! - September 2nd 2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth_rhymeswithdeath View Post
Nikki, that is a very very bad first day of school V sorry that happened to you. I was going to say something comforting but can't think of anything. Forgive me.
Oh, it's alright. I'm over it now! I guess I just felt over-confident, and it backfired on me. Now, I have resigned to making my first day of college REALLY good just to make up for that horrible first day.

Aren't you going to public school now? And, sorry to say this, but it must've sucked to have to go to an all-girl school for almost your whole life! You're lucky to be in a public school now, take my word for it. My old private schools were co-ed and fun, but we still had to have uniforms and everything else that goes with a private school (poor funding, small class size). But back then, I didn't really care about that, because I liked the family atmosphere.

My private high school, on the other hand, is anything but family. Did I mention the vice principle called me an outright liar on the 6th day of school? I almost got a detention. If I hadn't kept my cool, I probably would've gotten one, because they're already handing them out.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Re: Horrors from the 1st day of school! - September 2nd 2009, 07:06 PM

Nikki-
I actually really, really miss my old school right now. To the extent that I'm having a bit of a breakdown over it. I feel like I can't remember it well now, as if in the past three days I've become somone 'of' my new public high school instead of my old school (if that makes sense). My old school was a significant part of my identity. I think I've made a horrible decision, and I'm kind of freaking out about it.

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
T_Left_Alone_B Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Desmond

Re: Horrors from the 1st day of school! - September 3rd 2009, 02:20 PM

my first day of high school, i went to the wrong home room class haha, it sucked.
  Send a message via MSN to T_Left_Alone_B  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Horrors from the 1st day of school! - September 6th 2009, 12:50 AM

sorry your day sucked! I'm sure it'll get better though

(#10 (permalink)) Old
*alex* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: alex

Re: Horrors from the 1st day of school! - September 6th 2009, 10:23 PM

idk if you call this first day but jeez i changed schools and i have a medical problem (not brain type) constipation and well i had an "accident" mid day and it kinda smells (not enoghf for the teacher to care) and they called me alexandre unwashable cuz my last names walsh and yea i still have that name from second grade (half way in 2d grade) and ppl think im an idiot and i have strait As in all exept hand writing and french (i go to french school but i cant spell as good as most) so ppl say im dumb i smell since 2d grade and it stoped in 4th grade (the med prob not the name calling and such) i am now going in grade 7 -,-

Closed Thread