TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
HeyMonday Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 06:16 PM

i am currently writing a letter of complaint to my school, as it is generally slipped in standards and EVERYONE complains. i seem to be the only one who has the balls to do something about it and am writting a letter and make a petition. the only issue is, i am not certain if i will get punished for it!

i have not signed my name and stated i wish to stay unidenitfed. but if they were to find out, would i get punished?

it isn't harsh or threatened. just says what issues are within the school and why they should do something about it.

give me your thoughts. thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 06:20 PM

No they can't expell you for expressing how you feel. unless you make specific threats to the school faculity or students.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 06:22 PM

No they cant expelle you are even punish you in anyway just because you had the guts to speak up and say what you feel the problems are and how you would like to see them fixed. Plus if you didnt sign your name and you stay unidentified they will never no. The only way they can punish you is if you make threats in the letter to a particaler teacher or student.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
HeyMonday Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 06:23 PM

it litterally says that they need more toilet roll in the toilets cos there is NEVER any in the school and that the teachers need to be more understanding towards pupils with issues at home. It also mentions how certain people are targeted by staff and its unfair. and how the d+t department are very unorganised. also that dinner times are spent in the cold and pupils need rooms to go in when it rains.

it doesnt mention any names though. is that okay?

thanks.
im staying unknown to them for the reason i don't want them to know it was me who wrote it, cos the issues are general issues around the school.

Last edited by Angel; January 21st 2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 06:24 PM

No, you can't be expelled unless you threaten personnel or property. You should also address it to the governors rather than the headteacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMonday View Post
it litterally says that they need more toilet roll in the toilets cos there is NEVER any in the school and that the teachers need to be more understanding towards pupils with issues at home. It also mentions how certain people are targeted by staff and its unfair. and how the d+t department are very unorganised. also that dinner times are spent in the cold and pupils need rooms to go in when it rains.

it doesnt mention any names though. is that okay?
Just bear in mind that it can be difficult for the caretaker to stay around OR it could be because kids remove it and throw it around, I do not know your school however.

With issues at home staff need to know about them and it is hard to tell who is having trouble and who is making it up.

The targeting of pupils by staff will be very tricky to prove, unless is was unfair marking of work in which copies could be shown as proof it will be your word against theirs.

The school has a H&S responsibility to keep you safe during the school day, how would they warm up a room in the middle of winter? Radiators (a misnomer since they heat by convection ) are only effective at short distances

All in all they are good points to bring up and the school should have a procedure for complaints, if you write a good formal letter it will get read. Whether it will get done depends on if the problem can be solved (restocking the toilets with paper is all well and good but all it takes is for someone to rip a bit off and light it to cause a fire alarm or it can be used to block the toilet etc)

Last edited by Hyper Sonic; January 21st 2009 at 06:31 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 06:25 PM

Yes I think that is fine and there no way the can punish you with the letter and even if they find out who you are and try to punish you thats wrong and you should get your parents involved then because they have no right to punish you just because of what you said you wrote to them

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
HeyMonday Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 06:26 PM

how do you find out or get in touch with governors? i dont know who they are exactly. should i write a letter and then give it to the school to give to them?

also, regarding the petition, will anyone who signs it be punished? im making sure it is in a random order so they dont blame anyone for the letter

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 06:28 PM

unless your school is as messed up as mine, then no you won't get expelled for that.
you're allowed to complain if there is something worth complaining about!!

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
HeyMonday Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 06:28 PM

my mum agrees with all the issues mentioned and she said she's going to read it first before its handed in to anyone to check it and make sure its okay.

i just didnt want to get expelled for it, aha. x]

aha! my school is messed up and thats why im complaining! x]

there is NEVER any toilet paper. what do they expect us to use for goodness sake!
its not that much to ask for, surely!

Last edited by Angel; January 21st 2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMonday View Post
how do you find out or get in touch with governors? i dont know who they are exactly. should i write a letter and then give it to the school to give to them?

also, regarding the petition, will anyone who signs it be punished? im making sure it is in a random order so they dont blame anyone for the letter
You could address it c/o The Governors (c/o is care of). I would also send it via the normal postal system rather than handing it in in person.

If people sign it they should not get punished unless it's run like a dictatorship.
My points before were possible replies, if you know what they're likely to say you can counter it

(#11 (permalink)) Old
withsugarontop Offline
Me, the one and only
Not a n00b

Name: Francesca

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 07:42 PM

i dont think it should. but hey. what do i know. you may have an ass for a principle or something, and he just may espell you. but i, personally, dont think it should. its not saying anything like 'fix it or else. i will kill you. this school sucks ass'
and at least you took the initiative to do it professionally and stuff. not being juvenile and just writing it on a bathroom wall or anything
right?

I was a dork before it went mainstream
I am, unfortunately, very much obssessed with everything twilight
I am different, unique, I am me, and you cant change that
I WILL become famous one day, anyone who tells me otherwise is a liar
I am pure awesomeness
I am the coolest nerd you will ever meet...ever
I would REALLY love a bouquet of black roses.
I LURVE anime and mangas.

"When other little girls wanted to be ballerinas, I kinda wanted to be a vampire." -Vampire Kisses

Last edited by withsugarontop; January 21st 2009 at 08:55 PM.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 08:41 PM

Maybe send a copy of it to the newspaper for them to print.

Beware of the cats.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 21st 2009, 09:36 PM

As long as there are no threats, insults or personal attacks to specific people, I think you're fine. You could threaten to inform the board of education or post it in the newspapers if the school refuses to listen or if they want to suspend you or expell you. That would really be a kick in the nuts for them because they won't have only you to deal with, they'll have all the readers especially students + parents + board of education to deal with.

However the issues that you wrote may be hard to deal with or prove. The toilet stuff is quite easy, that shouldn't be a problem at all.

If they ask, you may need to prove whose being targetted by staff. You cant simply say "Mr. Smith is bullying me" without any proof of such behavior.

Also, for dealing with home issues, there tends to be many students a teacher has to handle, so it would be a bit cumbersome to deal with all their home issues. Perhaps getting a counselor or a teacher whose devoted to talking to the students could be a possible idea if those don't already exist.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 23rd 2009, 04:59 PM

As long as you keep within the law (i.e. non threatening, non intimidating) you will be fine. If you punish you for that they won't have a legal led to stand on.

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 23rd 2009, 05:06 PM

I don't think you can be punished for having an opinion and like you said you're letter isn't threatening so I don't see what grounds they can punish you on.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 23rd 2009, 07:45 PM

No, I don't believe so.

But I could give you some advice for writing the letter though...

First of all, don't make it sound like a list of complaints. The school won't take it very kindly if it just sounds like a rant. Write maturely, and be very specific with each of the problems you want to address. And make sure each problem is reasonable, and can be proven. Provide some evidence and examples of how these problems affect the students. Don't just state the problem and expect the school to believe it without evidence.

Also, don't just complain about these issues, but also give some SOLUTIONS. Ok, so you've identified the problem, now how do you think the school can FIX these?

Just some ideas to throw in the letter. Good luck!

(#17 (permalink)) Old
HeyMonday Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Talking Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 29th 2009, 01:35 PM

thank you all.

the letter was given to a governer, i was not punished and the school staff keep having meetings to help improve the school

its about time too.

oh, and i did add solutions and evidence in the end. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. REALLY HELPED.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Dansefleur18 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 30th 2009, 04:24 AM

I don't think they'll expell you for that, provided you keep it anonymous and there are no direct threats. It's good that they do it, do they have a student council there that you can get involved in?

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Can this get me EXPELLED? - January 30th 2009, 08:34 AM

Issue resolved - topic closed

if the OP wants to update this thread send me a PM

Closed Thread