TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Drey

Help me to pick a name - September 3rd 2009, 11:34 PM

So I need a bit of help figuring out a business name. At one point (about 6 years ago) I had a whole one student under the name of B-Sharp Music, but I'm not really liking going back to that name. So here's the just of what my business is going to be. (Of course I am going to have a full-time job as well as this, because music lessons without students doesn't pay very well).

So, once I locate all my music books again (after moving), I have been thinking of starting to teach private (music) lessons again. If I get enough students I want to be able to offer semi-private lessons and even recitals if enough people are interested.

I would be able to offer lessons on most wind instruments as well as piano and keyboard. I would also be able to offer advice on purchasing instruments and do some small/simple repairs or explain to people what they may need for repairs and get them to a reputable repair shop. I have 4 years of music education (basically everything except the degree) as training as well as a total of 17 years of music experience. Many instruments I have experience of at least 10 years playing.

In the future I do want to be able to start a community band in town (hopefully with help from the school music libraries). Though this could (and probably should) be a completely seperate venture.

Thanks for any help guys

PM me if you ever want or need to talk, I'm always around

As long as you try, you have a possibility of success. This goes for every aspect of your life whether it be school, family, relationships or just life in general (or anything I'm leaving out).

The answer is... just... T-R-Y

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Help me to pick a name - September 6th 2009, 03:03 AM

I would also like to know how much you believe would be reasonable to charge for a private lesson. In the past I have charged $12.50 per half hour, but I didn't like that rate.

Please keep in mind the education I have. Technically I am allowed to charge at least $40 per hour for a private lesson.

So here are the options (what do you think of these):

Private:
30 minutes (usually 30 minute lessons cost more than 60 minute lessons:
$15-$25

60 minutes
$30-$40

Semi-Private = 2-5 students on the same instruments (IF the opportunity arises):
30 minute lessons are basically impossible when working with more than one student

60 minutes (price per student)
$25-$35

120 minutes (price per student)
$40-$60

Group Lessons = 5-10 students on the same or similar instruments (IF the opportunity arises)

60 minutes (price per student)
$25-$30

120 minutes (price per student)
$45-$60

As long as you try, you have a possibility of success. This goes for every aspect of your life whether it be school, family, relationships or just life in general (or anything I'm leaving out).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Cazzum Offline
Helper
Average Joe

Name: Callum

Re: Help me to pick a name - September 6th 2009, 12:55 PM

Call it B-Sharp music d0000d that sounds UB3R 1337

"If my body dies, let my body die, but do not let my country die" - Genghis Khan

If you need advice:
PM

Send a message via MSN to Cazzum Send a message via Skype™ to Cazzum 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Help me to pick a name - September 6th 2009, 01:08 PM

I like B-Sharp I think that is witty.

Erm, your prices seem really steep to me. My sister is doing her diploma (ie, above grade 8) and so has a teacher who has studied at University and we pay her 12 per 30 minutes. This is the average price. If you've not even been to University to study the subject I woudn't pay you over 8 :S And that's only if you had grade 8... which you have not mentioned...

Obviously though I live in the UK.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
*alex* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: alex

Re: Help me to pick a name - September 6th 2009, 10:31 PM

uh its canadian money not well whatever that is bot its average i think (plz dont take this too serious)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Help me to pick a name - September 6th 2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *alex* View Post
uh its canadian money not well whatever that is bot its average i think (plz dont take this too serious)
A free geography tutorial for you: English currency = sterling. I am quite aware of the exchange rate and took this into account when writing my reply.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Help me to pick a name - September 7th 2009, 05:33 AM

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks for going for the name (though any other name suggestions as I don't really want to go back to that particular name?)

Rachel:

I have 4 years of music education (basically everything except the degree) as training as well as a total of 17 years of music experience. Many instruments I have experience of at least 10 years playing. The four years of music education being University becoming a music teacher. I have taken basically every class, and passed basically every class, so everything except the paper.

And like I said.. with the education I have.. I am technically allowed to charge between $30-$40 per hour

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Help me to pick a name - September 7th 2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drey View Post

Rachel:

I have 4 years of music education (basically everything except the degree) as training as well as a total of 17 years of music experience. Many instruments I have experience of at least 10 years playing. The four years of music education being University becoming a music teacher. I have taken basically every class, and passed basically every class, so everything except the paper.

And like I said.. with the education I have.. I am technically allowed to charge between $30-$40 per hour
Yup I read your original post and I still stand by what I said. Apparently it's different in Canada but in England I would not pay you even half that amount because although you have experience you are not qualified, even though you say you've done the classes you are not legally qualified and therefore cannot support charging that much money. You'd be classed as an unqualified teacher and therefore only be able to charge relative to that -- sure you can ask for more but you wouldn't get students. I mean you said you have X amount of years playing but you haven't said anything about what Grade level you're up to? But hell if you can get customers to pay you that much in your country then go for it, just saying you'd get a shock if you ever came to England

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Help me to pick a name - September 7th 2009, 05:49 PM

Yeah there aren't grades for the majority of instruments I work with (not here anyways). Piano... yeah, I very rarely teach that because.. well I don't like teaching it.

And yes, I am technically qualified (here), I was technically qualified my first year of University (but yeah, must be different). Thanks for the input though =]

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Help me to pick a name - September 7th 2009, 09:59 PM

I don't understand ... do you not do grades in Canada? In the UK there is a grade system for every instrument that exists.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Help me to pick a name - September 8th 2009, 01:15 AM

I have only heard that there are grades for piano here (and I don't believe even some of the people who were more professional in University had grades for other instruments.. though who knows, I may be wrong, it's been known to happen)

Closed Thread