TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
$Kelly2DaB$ Offline
awesome =]
Not a n00b

Name: Kelly

college issues. original i know =] - January 22nd 2009, 07:26 PM

im having a dilemma.

right now i am in a community college doing a 2 year program for culinary arts. after im done, im thinking of going to miami or some florida school. they have some nice choices for culinary arts.

anyways, one of my best friends doesnt want me to move there and so forth. i know im doing this for me, and i want to go to miami, but i would like to stay local for my friends and my family. i wanted to check out CIA (culinary institute of america) but i read in a book somewhere that you need 3 years of food service before you can apply. and i work at pathmark. that doesnt really count as food service. and i know.. how come im not working for a restuarant? well i applied to pmark first when i turned 17 and got hired the same day i applied. should i venture out and try for a restuarant. i would like to stay local, and not just for my friends. one of the major factors of me going to florida is for the weather. i hate the cold.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Kelly!
  Send a message via AIM to $Kelly2DaB$  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
KnightSniper Offline
Supreme Geek
Average Joe

Name: Josh

Re: college issues. original i know =] - January 22nd 2009, 07:35 PM

When it comes down to it, it's great that you care so much about your family and friends, but you have to do what's best for you. If you reject a school just because of distance from friends and family (I'm assuming that somehow the tuition isn't so much a factor in this), you might be denying yourself opportunities elsewhere.

Research all your options, figure out which is best for you financially, opportunistically, and in terms of quality of learning, and make a decision. Remind friends and family that it's not as though you're moving there permanently (unless that's a part of the idea you didn't put into the topic). In the end, they really should be interested in what's best for you, not what they want.

"Remember: even God has a sense of humor. Just look at the platypus."-Kevin Smith, opening of "Dogma"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
friendable Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Elizabeth

Re: college issues. original i know =] - January 22nd 2009, 07:36 PM

If you think going to school in Florida would benefit you, I think you should do it. Your friend would miss you, but there's no reason you can't keep in touch. I honestly know nothing about culinary arts programs, but I think traveling for school is usually a good opportunity. You can always move back or try a different place if things don't work out.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Love My Son And Baby Girl!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brandi

Re: college issues. original i know =] - January 22nd 2009, 07:40 PM

sorry to sound like a broken record, but you should do whats best for you.. your family and friends will get over it after a bit..

Send a message via AIM to Juggalette Mommy Send a message via MSN to Juggalette Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Juggalette Mommy  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: college issues. original i know =] - January 22nd 2009, 08:09 PM

You should do what you feel is best for you. If you want to go to Florida, then go. Your friends will get over it. Never pick a school based on what other people want. Do what YOU want.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
$Kelly2DaB$ Offline
awesome =]
Not a n00b

Name: Kelly

Re: college issues. original i know =] - January 22nd 2009, 08:15 PM

thanks everyone.. i am doing it for me, but i cant help it. my friend is in the back of my mind. and its not fun lol. but i will make the decision thats best for me.

Kelly!
  Send a message via AIM to $Kelly2DaB$  
Closed Thread