TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ChanceS019 Offline
Chance
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chance

Adivice Please!! G.E.D - September 22nd 2009, 10:53 PM

I am a junior this year and have been considering dropping out...I can't really say that I have any family problems right now that would give me good reason to drop out, and for the record its not because i'm lazy either...it just seems like it would be a better alternative if i dropped out and went and got my G.E.D, started working and enrolled in junior college classes...my school has about 250 students, i'm not learning anything and i'm bored with it, meaning i'm simply not interested...it just seems like i'll have wasted two years of my life if i stay in high school, while i could already be going to college and starting with my life...i really don't know wat to do...any advice would be helpful

thanx

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Adivice Please!! G.E.D - September 22nd 2009, 11:12 PM

The only thing about dropping out of school is the fact that since you are under 18 you will need a work permit still and your hours for work will be limited. Also, you will have to be homeschooled until you are 18 (at least that is how it was for me).

And you need to be sure you will be motivated to either get in GED classes or be ready to take the GED test on your own and pass it then continue onto college. It took me close to a year to motivate myself to take the test.

Also, most jobs will not like the fact you do not have an educate. Saying "I am going to get my GED" will not satisfy them. Until you have graduated (or have a GED in your possession) you will not be "qualified" for most jobs.

I had a hell of a time trying to find a job.

Now, this is not to say you should not get a GED. I am only telling you the realistic parts about it. I do hope you think it through and discuss it with your parents/caregivers. Do what you feel is best for you. If it is to get your GED then I wish you luck and hope it turns out well for you.

Just a PM away if you need anything.

-Mystery

Closed Thread