TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Advice on how to transfer schools? - September 23rd 2009, 09:34 PM

Long story short: I'm an outcast in my current private school, I feel unmotivated because of it, I always come home from school crying, and I'm perpetually in a bad mood during the school year because I feel like a loser, and I pretty much don't have a social life like normal people my age. I'm 16 years old, a junior in high school, and I want change. I think that transferring to a different will fix these problems because not only does it offer advanced courses in art, which I'm interested in; it's also a good place for me to start over and socialize.

The problem? My mom is totally against it, and everyone else supports it- it's just that my mom's opinion always has to be the one that matters. She's been controlling my life and making all my decisions for me. I want that to change.

The school is also out of my district, and to go there, I need proof that I live there. I need:

-A birth certificate (which I have.)
-A driver's license of my address.
-3 pieces of mail sent to me at that address.

I know the odds are against me, but I think I have enough time to work it out so I can transfer some time this year.:

-The school is public, less than five miles away, and is much closer than my private school, which is $9,000 a year and is 30 minutes away. Going to this public school will save us time, money, and gas!
-I have an uncle who lives in that school's district, and he has the same last name as me, so I could just say I live with him now. The problem is, he's moving out soon- maybe I could rent the house out then?
-Or maybe I could use my cousin's address; he also lives in that area.

Help, I need some more ideas! I hate my current school and I will do anything to get out of it!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Advice on how to transfer schools? - September 24th 2009, 12:19 AM

I think you need your parents permission if you are under 18...

If not, you need your file and transcripts transfered from the one school to the other, and proof of residence. You don't need to live in the district, you are going to sign a paper that says that you are aware the the school is not inyour district something like that.
Good Luck!

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Re: Advice on how to transfer schools? - September 25th 2009, 01:55 AM

Wow, you sound just like me. I just switched to public school this year, for the reasons you described (others too, but that was basically it).

I suggest sending an anonymous e-mail to the people at the school you want to transfer to. Do you have an e-mail that would not let them know your real name? Anyway, you could easily make one. Ask them what the procedures are, and whether the fact that you don't live in the district all the time (which might be how you want to phrase it ) would be a problem.

If you're literally willing to do "anything" to transfer, I think you'll figure something out Good luck...

but be aware that it's possible you'll arrive at the new school and be just as lost and depressed as you were at the old one. It could be great, but consider the alternative possibility.

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Advice on how to transfer schools? - September 25th 2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth_rhymeswithdeath View Post
Wow, you sound just like me. I just switched to public school this year, for the reasons you described (others too, but that was basically it).

I suggest sending an anonymous e-mail to the people at the school you want to transfer to. Do you have an e-mail that would not let them know your real name? Anyway, you could easily make one. Ask them what the procedures are, and whether the fact that you don't live in the district all the time (which might be how you want to phrase it ) would be a problem.

If you're literally willing to do "anything" to transfer, I think you'll figure something out Good luck...

but be aware that it's possible you'll arrive at the new school and be just as lost and depressed as you were at the old one. It could be great, but consider the alternative possibility.
Thank you very much, Andrea and...*looks for your name* Beth!

I heard that you were switching schools this year too- how's it going? Do you know anyone there? How on earth did you convince your mom to do it? No matter what I tell my mom, she never seems to consider my feelings. You're very, very fortunate that you can go to a huge school with new people!

I actually did the thing you suggested- I emailed the school, and I can't remember what the reply was, but I think it said something about 'every school having a different policy,' and that I had to contact the district office itself, instead of the school.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Closed Thread