TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Question Coming out of the Broom Closet at Work - September 24th 2009, 07:54 PM

So I finally, finally, finally got a job at the Genuardi's near my house in the deli department on September 7th. This is exciting work, and I'm getting some muscle in my right arm! ;D
However, it just so happens that October is a very busy month for me. As a Pagan, I have the South Jersey Pagan Pride Day to consider on the 11th, and Samhain at the end of October. I have a doctor's appointment on the 15th, that's not very pagan related but none the less a day that I won't be able to work the entire 8 hours I initially promised my boss that I could. I don't want to appear unreliable, but at the same time these things are very important to me -- and I just got an invite to join a coven, even better, ADF! It's a very hectic time for me.
Now, I'm out to everyone who knows me, but I am a little timid about telling my boss that I'm Pagan. I don't know her very well, she's a nice enough lady and we always have a great time at work, but I don't know anything personal about her other than she has 4 kids and smokes a lot of cigarettes. I don't know how she'll react or if she'll be happy to oblige (not that she has a choice, religious rights and all)... It's a little bit scary.
I can work the 11th for at least 4 hours, same for the 15th, and probably the 30th, but the 31st/1st of Nov are a no go. I am fully aware that I don't have to tell her why I need these days off or anything, but I feel like that would make it look like I'm just looking for a reason not to come to work for full 8 hour shifts. It's frazzling @_@

Any advice would be lovely. <3

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Coming out of the Broom Closet at Work - September 24th 2009, 09:05 PM

Hi Bernadette,

It does sound like you are kind of backed into a corner in this situation! I understand that you don't want to seem unreliable to your boss and you also have events coming up that are really important to you.

Is there any way you could change shifts with someone at work? Maybe someone can fill in for you and you could work their time instead? That way you wont really be missing work, you'll just be switching the time around.

If you are worried that your boss wont be accepting of your Paganism, then I suggest you don't tell her right now. What I suggest you do is let her know that there are some important days coming up concerning your religion and you would really appreciate it if you could take the days off. If your boss asks what religion, you can either tell her or just say that it's personal and you don't really want to go into it yet. Explain that it is something you normally keep to yourself. She shouldn't really push further.

If you offer to put in some extra time, I'm sure your boss wont be bothered about you taking some time off. Just do your best to make up for the time lost.

I hope that Pagan Pride day and Samhain go well for you.
All the best.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Coming out of the Broom Closet at Work - September 24th 2009, 09:15 PM

^^ follow her advice. I personally would not tell my boss I'm a pagan (let's be honest, the majority of the population would take this to mean you think you're a witch. I'm sorry that sounds harsh! It's not what I think!) only a while after working there.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Coming out of the Broom Closet at Work - September 24th 2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
^^ follow her advice. I personally would not tell my boss I'm a pagan (let's be honest, the majority of the population would take this to mean you think you're a witch. I'm sorry that sounds harsh! It's not what I think!) only a while after working there.
...But I am a witch?

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Coming out of the Broom Closet at Work - September 25th 2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiseau the Little Bird! View Post
...But I am a witch?
Right. My point exactly. I wouldn't recommend it.

Closed Thread