TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Personal statement help? PLEASE:) - October 4th 2009, 05:29 PM

Well, i'm having some trouble with writing my personal statement, and wondering if anyone could help me, i've tried google and thats not helping haha.
I'm taking Psychology, History and photography at A2 atm, and need to have my personal statement in in a few days (dont shout at me for leaving it this long ><) and i want to take psychology at uni, in the hope of becoming a child therapist.

but, on everything it says, say the reason behind this course, and i dont want to put like, because i had a long spell, and still suffering with mental illness' and want to help others, especaily because my parents/teachers dont know.
also should i write about my current job ( i work ina shoe shop and have a lot of one on one consultation things with customers) saying that i have good people skills or is this completely unrealted?

HELP PLEASE :]

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Personal statement help? PLEASE:) - October 4th 2009, 05:48 PM

I have started mine today too. Your not that late, the deadline is January. My school is aiming to send them off at the beginning of November.
It is difficult to write, I have been struggling with mine too.
I have a lot to write about the the structure is messing me up.

There is a section in the ucas form for employment so you don't need to spend too long talking about your job because it is repeating what is already there. I do think you should have a brief mention of how it relates to your people skills.

I think you should write about your mental illness, it will make the admissions tutor who is reading it feel more connected to you and it will be more memorable to them. Your parents will not have to read your personal statement, my parents never read my brothers. The only time a teacher or anyone you know will read your statement is if you ask them to proof read it. You can always choose a teacher who you trust and some close friends to read through it. Also in my school the teacher who is our reference will read them so she can relate her reference to our statement so that is one more possible person who could read it.
I don't think you should be to worried about who will read it. Just believe in yourself, this is your future, don't let anything get in the way of that.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Personal statement help? PLEASE:) - October 4th 2009, 07:52 PM

this website is amazing!.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/

they have a personal statements section which i've heard is pretty useful.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Personal statement help? PLEASE:) - October 5th 2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEllexx View Post
this website is amazing!.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/

they have a personal statements section which i've heard is pretty useful.
No no, don't just read the personal statements! A lot of them are complete shit to be honest!

I found it best not to look at other people's personal statements until I was at least half way finished - I'm certain it made my statement more individual to me and well, better.

I started by making a bullet point list of everything that I wanted to include, kinding putting them into sections such as for you;

"Why I want to study psychology" - normally intro paragraph
"What I enjoy about what I study currently at college" - talk specifically about psychology. Any particular areas you like? Have you read any books outside of your A-Level studies? What have you done, as in research into the degree course and career path, to make sure you will enjoy studying psychology for minimum three years?
"Work experience I have done"
"In-college/school responsibilities" - are you a prefect, or a member of the student council, or debating society, etc?
"Extra Curriculum Activities" - sports/music/any hobbies in general
"Conclusion" - ties everything off and reinterates the primary points.

DEFINTELY talk about your job. You can talk about how psychology involves contact with a variety of people from all walks of life, and how you've gained experience in the most appropriate ways to communicate with this range of people in your job - allowed you to develop excellent communication skills. Your job has also enabled your time-management and organisational skills right? And you are demonstrating a way in which you work both as an individual and as a team -- something that is important when working as part of a multi-disciplinary team in a way that a psychologist does.
I'd probably fit it in extracurricula activities or postions of responsibility, or somewhere in between.

As a general guide, it should be 2/3 about the subject you want to do, 1/3 about you as a person, eg college responsibilities and extra curriculum activities.

As I said, I started with bulletpoints under headings, then wrote them into paragraphs. My final draft now is completey different from my inital draft so don't worry about making major changes.

And don't panic about deadlines! You internal college deadline is NOT the actual deadline - that is in January, though to be honest you're very much more likely to be unsuccessful if you submit it then as some people start getting interviews/offers in November. Get it done as soon as possible, but don't like speed compromise quality. This is the one opportunity to convince them to give you an interview or a place, so really sell yourself!

If you want to talk about your mental illnesses, be careful, this can often be rocky grounds a to whether the positives (making you sound unique, individual, and you can talk about the lessons you learnt from recovery and how this allows you to be empathetic etc) outweigh the negatives (them wondering whether you'll be ok on the course, etc). Talk to your tutor, because if you talk about, they will have to talk about it in there reference. I personally would probably mention it but play it down, mention it in brief and concentrate on what you LEARNT from your experiences rather than what the experiences were exactly. such as "My own personal recovery from depression/anorexia/etc has allowed me valuble insight into the neccesity of empathy and consideration when treating patients." and then perhaps one more sentance on what you learnt and leave it at that/

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; October 5th 2009 at 12:19 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Personal statement help? PLEASE:) - October 5th 2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach View Post
I have started mine today too. Your not that late, the deadline is January. My school is aiming to send them off at the beginning of November.
It is difficult to write, I have been struggling with mine too.
I have a lot to write about the the structure is messing me up.
The deadline IS January for most people, but for higher universities (Oxbridge), and I think medical students...

I haven't started mine yet either... going to give it a go tomorrow

To be honest just get it out the way

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Personal statement help? PLEASE:) - October 5th 2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach View Post
Ok - so this is true. BUT the reality is that a lot of offers are given before the deadline so if you submit yours on 1st January which is technically on time, you may find yourself rejected because the course is full.

Waiting till the deadline = bad plan.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Personal statement help? PLEASE:) - October 5th 2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk338 View Post
The deadline IS January for most people, but for higher universities (Oxbridge), and I think medical students...
Quote:
15 October 2009

Application deadline for the receipt at UCAS of applications for all medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and veterinary science courses and for all courses at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge.

15 January 2010

Application deadline for the receipt at UCAS of applications for all courses except those listed above with a 15 October deadline, and art and design courses with a 24 March deadline. Check Course Search to find out which art and design courses have a 15 January or 24 March deadline.
http://www.ucas.com/students/importantdates

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Ok - so this is true. BUT the reality is that a lot of offers are given before the deadline so if you submit yours on 1st January which is technically on time, you may find yourself rejected because the course is full.

Waiting till the deadline = bad plan.
I do know this but I was just saying to the OP that she isn't actually that late since the deadline is like 3 months away. I wasn't saying it is ok to leave it because the deadline is January, the way I meant to say it was your not that late considering the deadline isn't until january and there are a lot of people who will be leaving it to the last minute.

Sorry if I confused you, my head was destroyed from trying to write my own personal statement.
So

Closed Thread