TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Christylai Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Can't do my personal statement!! - October 6th 2009, 03:32 PM

I have been struggling with my personal statement for days now, and when I read other examples' on the internet, many of them include work experience, i understand that it is a good idea to include it but I don't really know that to do for work experience with i want to study psychology in university, can anyone offer me any suggestion please?

Thank you very much!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
thesmallcheese Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Can't do my personal statement!! - October 7th 2009, 03:43 AM

I was also struggling with me personal statement.. and coincidentally would also like to study psychology. Maybe we think too much!

Think about things that make you unique. Maybe something you're fascinated with, collections, passions, family relationships. It may take a few drafts, so don't be discouraged. In writing class i told my teacher that I didn't want to add anything to my essay because I didn't want to go over the limit. She replied simply "We're not anywhere close to cutting it down to size." You have to get ALL your ideas down, and then cut out what doesn't fit in. But anyway... Main point, make sure your essay is PERSONAL. The college/university is asking for the personal statement because they want to know what kind of person you are.

Here's an exercize from collegeboard for personal statements.
Fill in the blank. "I'm a very _______ kind of person."
Make a list of these traits.
Then write about an occasion that proves this sentence.

The thing I wrote wasn't what I decided to make my essay about, but it's really good practice. It also gets ya thinking about all your personal qualities.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Can't do my personal statement!! - October 8th 2009, 10:42 AM

Okay, so here's the personal statement that I used. I've put each paragraph in a different colour and I'll explain which parts may be relevant to you and why I've put each part in:

"I am particularly interested in pursuing a joint honours degree in forensic science and criminology. My interest in these subjects has stemmed from factors such as stories in the news, work I have done in my A level sociology course and in particular an essay by William Golding called “why Boys Become Vicious”, which explores some of the reasons why boys are engaging in deviant and criminal behaviour, some going as far as committing murder, as in the case of the killing of Jamie Bulger, which inspired the essay. A few of the more recent stories in the news that have inspired my interest in forensic science and criminology are stories such as Joseph Fritzl, and the reports about youth knife crime.
I have learnt a lot at college and have had the chance to develop existing skills and learn some new skills whilst studying for my A levels. My sociology course has involved both group work and individual research. It has also involved giving presentations in front of the class which has also helped my communication skills. Photography has increased my attention to detail in both the practical and analytical aspects of the course. My photography course has also made me more open-minded and creative through taking photographs and experimenting with them. Also, from my photography course, I have learnt how important photography is and how many uses it has, for instance, a photograph can be used for anything from a piece of art, to a piece of evidence from a crime scene. Key Skills ICT has greatly improved my computer skills which I believe will prove incredibly useful during my time at university and also in my future workplace. I took GCSE Biology during my first year of college, which thoroughly enjoyed. My grade at GCSE Biology was A* which I believe reflects my dedication and enthusiasm towards the subject.
My interests outside of college include reading, cooking and seeing local bands play. Some of my favourite books are “A Clockwork Orange” by Anthony Burgess, “1984” by George Orwell and “Lord of the Flies” by William Golding”. I particularly enjoy these books because of the reoccurring themes of deviance and social control, especially in “A Clockwork Orange” and “1984”. I am also intrigued by Golding’s vision of how boys would behave without the presence of authority figures and the chaos that would ensue without society, which leads back to his essay on the violence that some young boys display.
I currently work part-time at Homebase on the customer service desk, which has developed my communication skills (over the phone as well as in person) as well as my time-management and team-work skills. During my time at Homebase, I have demonstrated my competence by training new employees. I also care for my younger brother who has cerebral palsy during college and school holidays and whilst my mother is at work. I believe that over the years, this caring role has developed my sense of responsibility and my patience.
I believe that these qualities that I have picked up over the past few years will make me a valuable university student. I am dedicated, hard-working and willing to put in the time and effort to ensure that I make the most out of my time at university. "

The pink paragraph is a general introduction to why I want to study this particular course, including references to stories in the news and an essay that I've read. Any books, faous people, essays, news stories, personal experiences etc can help explain why you want to do the course you've chosen. It also helps make your personal statement unique and interesting.

Green is about the courses that I took before applying to uni. You don't need to include them all as they will also be put on your application, but by linking certain aspects of some of your courses to the course you want to do you can show that you are prepared for uni. Also using any general skills that you have learnt from these courses can help.

Interests outside of education/work. This is important as it shows what kind of a person you are. It also helps your statement to stand out against all the others. Again, it's nice to try and link some of it back to your chosen course.

Work experience. Any experience you have is useful (it does not have to be paid, it can be anything from walking a neighbours dogs to doing voluntary work, or looking after younger siblings). It shows that you are hardworking and responsible.

Conclusion, this draws together what you have said and realtes it back to the course. By doing this, your statement will be nicely rounded and will finish smoothly

hope this helps
Ella

Closed Thread