TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Live Laugh Love
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kate

Unhappy I don't want to sing in front of my class. - October 14th 2009, 06:47 PM

We have this music test next week and we have to sing. I really can't sing, I'm too embarssed to sing when I'm alone. And for the test we have to sing in front of the class. I just can't do it. I dont care if I get 0. Is there a way to get out of doing this. She's the sort of teacher who will force you not matter what you say. I know this may sound stupid but I'm really scared. I'm even thinking of pretending to be ill to get out of it. I've never done this before, but I would to not do this. I don't get bullied but I'm not exactly popular and I'm worried people will laugh, but that isn't my main problem. Please, can anyone help.

Thanks xx

Hugs to everyone

Reach for the moon,

If you fall you'll land among the stars
  Send a message via MSN to XxBelieveInDreamsxX  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I don't want to sing in front of my class. - October 14th 2009, 07:22 PM

hey i'm sure there are other people in your class who are feeling exactly the same as you!. singing in your class is pretty scary but i think you'll feel really proud of yourself if you are able to overcome your fear. if you really don't think you can do it then i suggest going to speak to your teacher [before the lesson where you're meant to be singing]. explain the situation and say that it's not because you can't be bothered/don't fancy it.. but it's because you are genuinely very anxious about it. theres a chance she'll let you just sing to her and grade you on that rather than singing in front of everyone but if it's part of the course she may well not have much sympathy with you unfortunately. good luck! :]

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Magicalisland Offline
Human being
Junior TeenHelper

Name: E. Brill

Re: I don't want to sing in front of my class. - October 14th 2009, 07:24 PM

Listen, I have song in front of my class three times. At first I hated it but once you get into it it's fun. I know it's really nerve wracking but the best thing to do is get it over and done with. I am a really bad singer, but if you are confident and don't let your nerves get to you then it's fine. Even if you don't feel confident just pretend you and you will feel so much better. Beside, what's the worst that could happen? You might get teased a bit, but so what! If anybody says anything negative then turn the other cheek. Then they'll just feel stupid.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: I don't want to sing in front of my class. - October 15th 2009, 07:53 AM

I'm sure many of your other classmates are just as worried if not more worried than you are. People are unlikely to all laugh because they're worried that when they go up, they will be laughed at and mocked so overall, it's a web of fear that is likely to prevent others from laughing at you. I'd say to go up and sing because what are you going to do when you have to sing later or if you have to present something in front of the class for another course? You have to build up the courage and just do it because you will have to do this later on in other courses and you cannot bury your head in the sand and run.

Singing is meant to be fun so don't get too worked up, just go, sing and show confidence in yourself because that will put you above the others even if your singing is lousy. That's part of what presenting yourself infront of the class involves: self-confidence and good presentation even if your singing is the worst.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Firefighter 48 Offline
Firefighter/ EMT-B
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: I don't want to sing in front of my class. - October 15th 2009, 11:22 AM

I would be really scared also. I think you can do it though.
  Send a message via MSN to Firefighter 48  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Remember_M3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katie

Re: I don't want to sing in front of my class. - October 15th 2009, 03:23 PM

Hey,
I understand singing in front of people can be really scary, but look at it this way... Whats the worst that could happen? I think that if you get up there and you are confident you will do great. Rehearse before hand, know your stuff, and you will be just fine. Just remember, this is fun. Let it rip girl!
  Send a message via AIM to Remember_M3  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: I don't want to sing in front of my class. - October 15th 2009, 09:08 PM

When I was your age we had a similar test.
We went up one by one and stood right next to the piano to sing.
Because we were right next to the teacher and the piano only she could hear us over the piano, the rest of the class talked amongst themselves while someone sang.

No one wanted to sing and everyone was in the same position so no one got bullied for it.
Try not to get too worked up about it and talk to your teacher. She may let you sing alone without the class there (In my school the teacher wouldn't because if she let one then she would have to let others) or you could ask to go first, get it out of the way, in our school the most nervous people went first. I found it helped.

Closed Thread